If I came into your home....

So, what do you think if they have no religious symbols whatsoever?

Elphaba, the atheist :P

Then I don't know what you are. You could be anything really.

My mom was very religious and she had no religious symbols up anywhere. She had her Bible by her bed but that was it.

My mom was extremely neat and didn't like "stuff" anywhere. :rolleyes:

Just not her style at all.

Our house doesn't have a lot of Jesus paraphenalia. You'd find Christianity Today magazine in one of the bathrooms, and Today's Pentecostal Evangel in another. There are a few Bibles on desks and tables. But, where I'd hope you most see Jesus is in the spirit of the house, and in the joyfulness of our children.

I have a postcard of the SL Temple on the refrigerator, and I probably have some papers from church here and there. If you go to my bedroom, you will find a ton of LDS related books on my nightstand, but we don't have big pictures of temples or Jesus or the First Presidency hanging on the walls. Nothing wrong with having them, but I am a photographer so you will find my photos of landscapes, seascapes, abstract architecture or family instead. I have taken artistic photos of a dozen different temples, but I don't hang them in my own home.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay I have to share this. There is a painting I have wanted for about 3 years. I finally saw it on sale 1/2 price today and had to buy it. I'm sooooo excited. It will go in my livingroom.

Posted Image

It's by one of my favorite Mormon artists Walter Rane...who btw..is from a family I have known since my childhood.

I am a recent convert & I think everyone that enters my home is aware that we are a LDS family now. We have a framed picture of our temple & A Proclamation to the World along with our BOM's & Bibles. Also in our kitchen we have a family home evening board & framed articles of faith. SO I think it would be pretty obvious what faith we follow :)

My room has a framed copy of the Living Christ, a tile that says "Did you think to pray?", an lds print of Christ in Gethsemane, and two others of the Savior. My bookshelf is almost exclusively LDS books. Various scriptures, conference tapes, Mormon Doctrine, Talmage's books... etc. Don't even mention the church dvds floating around. I'd like to think it'd be pretty easy to tell I'm LDS. ^^

and looked around, would I know you were LDS???

I do homecare and I am in and out of homes for the past 20 years. When I enter a home, I look around and I can usually guess their religion by what is hanging up, what is laying around etc. I love that part of my job. I get to learn so much about people and cultures. Most times I can guess their religion from their clothing but that is a different post. ;) It's just so interesting how religion influences the way you decorate and keep your home.

Anyway,

I was thinking about it the other night and to my knowledge, I've never been in a LDS home. (This is not a large LDS area).

I was wondering, do you have things in your home that would let someone know what your faith is?

If you came in my home, you would immediately know that I'm Protestant. I have crosses (not crucifixes) hanging. I have a lot of Bible verses and little sayings up on the walls. There are Bibles everywhere. (I tend to misplace things so I have a lot of the same things, when I loose one, I find another). If you glanced at my bookshelf, you'd fine a lot of religious books.

What is in your home that reveals your faith?

I know of l.d.s homes whom have many statues and pics of Jesus e;t;c absolutely no way to distinguish them between mormom or any other faith; and thats as it should be, other than maybe a pic of the first presidency or something like that, or maybe stuff like a b.y.u diploma e't.c....:)