Tattoos

lattelady

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the attention span of a newt so I will never get printed. One of my sisters has a pretty neat dragon on her lower leg, another sister has the mustang logo, horse and stripes, on her lower leg, and another one has a tat of some weird swirly celtic thing on her back. I think the people who have foreign words either know the language or are really trusting. What's to prevent some prankster artist to tattoo 'Eat at Joe's' in pretty Japanese writing?

Priceless!!:lol::lol:

I was thinking the same thing.

Aren't tattoos taboo? I have noticed more and more women in the church with small ankle tattoos. I actually discussed this topic with hubby the other day. Tattoo is like graffetti to the temple...well, what if a person has a scar or something already marking the body is it okay to get a tattoo to cover the blemish?

Actually it's my stomach. I do have a back design in the making but need to save the money. :D

*digs through the archives*

Ah, for some reason I was thinking that it was you who had the prophets tattooed on your back. I should've read that post more carefully.

btw i love black flag ( though i hate all the "props" that Henry rolling gets. Greg Ginn was the life blood of the band.)

Agreed. Rollins has done some great things for the industry. Singing in Black Flag was not one of them.

Hmm, normaje, maybe people with tattoos had the young and dumb syndrom, and now they are good convert attendies.

I have 2 tattoos. They both mean a lot to me so I will not go into detail here about what or where they are, as I can see from the above that there are people here who are not as forgiving or understanding as the people in my ward.

Are tattoos graffiti, or a new paint job? As someone who has a ton of barbed wire scars on her neck and torso, and stretch marks from the knees up, and other misc. scars elsewhere, I don't see my meaningful, tasteful tattoos as any worse than the accidental hideousness.

*digs through the archives*

Ah, for some reason I was thinking that it was you who had the prophets tattooed on your back. I should've read that post more carefully.

Agreed. Rollins has done some great things for the industry. Singing in Black Flag was not one of them.

I did post the pic of that guy. But I'm not that hard core:)

Are tattoos graffiti, or a new paint job? As someone who has a ton of barbed wire scars on her neck and torso, and stretch marks from the knees up, and other misc. scars elsewhere, I don't see my meaningful, tasteful tattoos as any worse than the accidental hideousness.

If you purposely tried to scar yourself up from barbed wire, that would be just as bad as a tattoo. If you somehow got a tattoo completely by accident (fell repeatedly into a tattooing needle, for instance) that would be more analogous to the accidental scarring.

What happens to people in their line of duty that is largely beyond their control and what they willingly do to themselves for whatever reason are two different things. Simply because the latter may look prettier than the former doesn't mean much.

I was thinking the same thing.

Aren't tattoos taboo? I have noticed more and more women in the church with small ankle tattoos. I actually discussed this topic with hubby the other day. Tattoo is like graffetti to the temple...well, what if a person has a scar or something already marking the body is it okay to get a tattoo to cover the blemish?

I actually find it ironic that graffiti on the temple walls is bad, something to be avoided and ashamed of.

Temple reconstruction because you don't approve of the architects design. A OK.:rolleyes:

I actually find it ironic that graffiti on the temple walls is bad, something to be avoided and ashamed of.

Temple reconstruction because you don't approve of the architects design. A OK.:rolleyes:

Is that really why temples get reconstructed? Or is it to bring temples up to date with current safety standards?

Putting graffiti on a temple is a far cry from reconstruction. The former is like tattooing our bodies, the latter is like getting needed medical procedures.

Is that really why temples get reconstructed? Or is it to bring temples up to date with current safety standards?

Putting graffiti on a temple is a far cry from reconstruction. The former is like tattooing our bodies, the latter is like getting needed medical procedures.

I think you missed the analogy. I'm still referring to the body as a temple.

You could have easily satisfied your curiosity by simply asking the location of the tattoo instead of referring to it as a "tramp stamp?" I find that phrase derogatory, and perhaps Mztrniceguy did as well since he was compelled to clarify that his wife is, in fact, not a tramp. :sunny:

He said it was in the lower spine. I asked if it was in the area of a tramp stamp, which would be that general area. He clarified. End of story. I said no such thing as to suggest his wife is a tramp. Are you just in a bad mood today or do you normally fly off the handle about nothing? Because you're making a huge deal out of just that, nothing.

I'm kindof sad that I asked for help in keeping this thread clear of contentious posts (and for the MOST part people have been very gracious to do so), but someone made some unkind comments about tramp stamps has chosen to mock the fact that I felt it was unkind to start a post by saying, "Ugh, not another tattoo post" and then made it a point to mock the fact that my feelings were somewhat hurt. The spirit of mockery on this forum is depressing--why do you choose to treat others like that? It's meanspirited and rude.

I'd like to bring it back to the original reason for the post and also thank those that were brave enough and transparent enough and real enough to share themselves--whether you DO have one or you DON'T! But back to the tattoos,

I can't remember who it was that had the chinese symbol for forgiveness, but that was pretty cool. They're all unique and interesting and cool in their own way.

Edited by lattelady

Are you not bringing contention into this as well with your comment? John Doe explained what he meant. Plus you can take my comment as being contentious or not. It was not meant. Godless explained my comment perfectly.

I'm simply stating that I started a thread for the purpose of getting to know others and to hear about their creativity and why they made the personal choice to get a tattoo. Someone made what I perceived to be a negative comment about the fact that I started it; I asked others to help me keep it non-contentious. That was going well! There was no contention or judgement. Someone else then made a comment that would be considered judgmental by at least some of the people who have a tattoo on their lower back when they asked someone if their wife's tattoo was a trampstamp. Was that necessary? No. Was it kind? No. In the interest of having a thread that remains peaceable, could we simply continue letting others post about their decision to get a tattoo--what they chose and why? If I sounded in any way contentious, I apologize. I was just trying to express that it does hurt people's feelings to get mocked or discouraged from posting when they didn't really do anything wrong.

Edited by lattelady

Perhaps that's a bit judgmental as well. You are judging John Doe's intent. Tramp stamp is a common use of words in the tattoo community. It's not a measure of someone's character..it's a position of a tattoo.