Is there a way to get a hard copy of the BOM without...

Hey everybody,

I am Christian and have been looking into the LDS church lately...I have been reading the BOM online and also talking to an online missionary over at mormon.org as well. I was wondering if there is a way to receive a hard copy of the Book of Mormon without missionaries delivering it to you; like receiving it by mail?

For anybody out there that are converts, I'm sure you know what I'm going through...Going from a Baptist church and leaning now towards the LDS church is a big change and not sure how my family would take it if I converted.

But I'm getting wayyyy ahead of myself lol Back to my original question...If anybody can help, that would be greatly appreciated. God bless.

~Curtis

Nice Loudmouth.

I too came from a Baptist background. Not many in my extended family were very religious. My grandmother was a devout Pentecostal. Gave land to build the church in Dodge City, Kansas. She still continued to visit our family each year until she was unable to due to poor health. We just didn't talk religion. We would drop her off at a local church of her choosing when she would visit us and then pick her up later or someone from that church would drop her by the house.

Religious intolerance by anyone seems unChristlike to me.

Ben Raines

You can request a free copy off mormon.org, which the missionaries will deliver to you, and you can tell them at that time that you're not interested in meeting with them just yet. They'll keep your contact info and probably get in touch with you again a few months down the road.

Another option is again requesting it from mormon.org, and (I just looked at the order form) there is a "description" box that is a required field, though I'm not sure what it's for. You could put in there something about not wanting to talk to missionaries, having them just drop it off, or leave hours when you won't be home (and tell them you won't be home).

Nice Loudmouth.

I too came from a Baptist background. Not many in my extended family were very religious. My grandmother was a devout Pentecostal. Gave land to build the church in Dodge City, Kansas. She still continued to visit our family each year until she was unable to due to poor health. We just didn't talk religion. We would drop her off at a local church of her choosing when she would visit us and then pick her up later or someone from that church would drop her by the house.

Religious intolerance by anyone seems unChristlike to me.

Ben Raines

Glad to know that I'm not the only one ;) My wife isn't even on my side...She was giving me weird looks just from seeing that I was on this site last night...I can tell it's going to be a struggle if the Lord is calling me to the LDS church.

Me Me - Pick me!!!

I'm a convert :). Baptist to Mormon - as a Mormon I love Baptists, great family values, pro-lifers, stand with us on a lot of the measures that come over the ballot box... not sure why some Baptists are wary of us ;).

I know how it goes, only one person from my fam - a cousin - came to my baptism... sad thing. 12 years later, and they are starting to get used to things. It's hard to be a first generatoiner, not for the weak of heart. Once you know, you know though... alternative is to live a lie.

I think that Baptists are wary of the LDS church because it isn't faith alone and doesn't ascribe to sola scriptura. Basically if you don't believe in faith alone, you're going to Hell...:( Not to mention that the LDS church is a "cult"...But, if you think about it, every Christian church is LOL

You mean Baptists think that people who do "works" go to hell? hmmmm... I had better lounge around on the couch watching TV from here on out then ;).

Name calling is a sad thing, I think all religions hold some truth, we could all learn a lot from one another if we can get past the judging / I'm better than you mentality. JMO.

Welcome to LDS.net! We all look forward to seeing where your journey takes you :).

Baptists think that works aren't necessary for salvation but works should be shown from true believers to show that they're saved...It's really splicing hairs...The thing is that they think once you're a true believer, nothing you can do can take away that salvation if you have true saving faith. Since nothing you can do attained the salvation, nothing you can do can take it away either. I think the former (or current) Baptists in here will agree with this.

Gotta love theology! LOL