Gay Marriage Law Overturned in Maine

talisyn

Maine Voters Reject Gay Marriage Law - FOXNews.com

Gay marriage has now lost in every single state -- 31 in all -- in which it has been put to a popular vote.

Now, I admit I'm a pessimist about certain groups and their ability for rational thought but I'm hoping that this will have gay rights activists thinking "maybe the problem isn't them, maybe it's me".

But I'm not holding my breath :P

There is no reason for a gay activist, nor for any gay who is convinced that the way s/he is is natural, or "the way God made me," to be affected by this vote. They will see it as discrimination. People of faith, who are convinced that society can establish some basic social mores held by overwhelming majorities will continue to see no reason to discard millenia of tradition.

While the final results are not in, my state appears ready to pass an "everything but marriage" law. Domestic partners will have all the rights of married couples, but they will not be considered married. My guess is that this will result in people of faith saying, "See, we're not mean or vindictive--we just want to protect traditional marriage." Same-sex couples will likely respond to the courts with, "Isn't this ridiculous. The state recognizes we deserve everything straights have. How can "separate but equal" be justified?

IMHO if Washington State does not settle this matter with its new law, then the proof is in--there can be no middle ground.

Maine Voters Reject Gay Marriage Law - FOXNews.com

Now, I admit I'm a pessimist about certain groups and their ability for rational thought but I'm hoping that this will have gay rights activists thinking "maybe the problem isn't them, maybe it's me".

I don't see why either side has to be a "problem."

My hope is that lawmakers in Maine and other states will stop trying to force this into law, as they see that time after time, the popular vote doesn't support it.

That's the problem right there, Wingnut. The GLTEverythingelse groups haven't made their case. They assume because they have enough money to influence legislatures they have the hearts and minds of the voters as well. Then there's surprise when the voters reject their rejection of thousands of years of family structure. This lack of reasoning from grown adults has me disturbed.

Nope, and you can't legislate people liking you.

Gay people need to learn this lesson apparently repeatedly according to Fox News. Perhaps Gays became intoxicated on high minded ideals of human behavior or something. They need to put down that John Locke and read some Thomas Hobbs for a change.

History shows us that social justice movements take time to grow. The momentum is building though. Maine's recall passed by just 53%, prop 8 passed by just 52%. We know the next generation of voters overwhelmingly support same sex marriage. My guess us that in 10 years many states will have passed same sex marriage legislation. In 20-30 years people will be wondering why it took so long. But today is what it is.

History shows us that social justice movements take time to grow. The momentum is building though. Maine's recall passed by just 53%, prop 8 passed by just 52%. We know the next generation of voters overwhelmingly support same sex marriage. My guess us that in 10 years many states will have passed same sex marriage legislation. In 20-30 years people will be wondering why it took so long. But today is what it is.

Or the Savior could return.......:eek: and for some....:)

Neither am I. As CoC pointed out, it's growing momentum. Personally i'm not looking forward to the day where I'll be considered a bigoted homophobe because of my beliefs in marriage as an institution meant to define and support the relationships betwen men and women. I don't mind and would certainly vote for civil unions having rights equal to those of marriage...but that doesn't seem to be enough.

Aw well, life.

With luv,

BD

In certain circles, a 53%-47% victory would be considered a mandate for change :cool:

We know the next generation of voters overwhelmingly support same sex marriage.

Well, as the adage goes: If you're not liberal by age 20, you have no heart - if you're not conservative by age 40, you have no brain.

I guess we'll see what growing and maturing does to the next generation's thoughts about the wisdom behind altering a foundational definition of a foundational element of society. Because as things stand now, SSM has now lost in all 31 states in which it has been put to a popular vote.

LM

Well, as the adage goes: If you're not liberal by age 20, you have no heart - if you're not conservative by age 40, you have no brain.

I guess we'll see what growing and maturing does to the next generation's thoughts about the wisdom behind altering a foundational definition of a foundational element of society. Because as things stand now, SSM has now lost in all 31 states in which it has been put to a popular vote.

Not likely. The saying is wrong, actually. Statistically speaking, people stay about the same, voting wise, from when they were in their 20's. In fact the reason this statement works right now is because the generation ahead of us (GenX) was majority conservative... and have stayed that way over the years.

With luv,

BD

Not likely. The saying is wrong, actually. Statistically speaking, people stay about the same, voting wise, from when they were in their 20's. In fact the reason this statement works right now is because the generation ahead of us (GenX) was majority conservative... and have stayed that way over the years.

With luv,

BD

Most Americans identify themselves as conservatives and live there lives like a conservative. Odd how so many Democratic candidates get elected by running on a "conservative" platform....even Obama tried to make the big turn to the center during his campaign. I have never understood how some could then vote liberal. I am a former liberal. I became conservative as I grew older and gained more life experience. Liberal ideals seem to appeal to the rebellious side of youth.....it did me. My thinking changed as I became engaged in the business community and recognized the mess that our elected leaders, both Democrat and Republican, were making of things.

I am a registered Republican, but only because they at least claim to champion some of what I believe...actually I am libertarian in my views.

The saying is wrong, actually. Statistically speaking, people stay about the same, voting wise, from when they were in their 20's.

Got a link to any of those statistics? I've witnessed powerful, foudational changes in opinions of many people I know (and in myself as well) once we woke up one day and discovered we had kids and a mortgage payment.

LM

I don't know if it's true that, on average, people become more conservative with age, but I agree with CofCcousin's assessment of the younger generation of voters. Most of my highschool friends on Facebook are at least moderate and many support same-sex marriage- and 95% of them were the 'good' Christian kids in school (also, most of them are hesitant to actually list "Christian" as their religion, preferring instead to say something along the lines of "I believe in the Bible" or "I believe in Christ, but there's a difference between religion and belief" or something similar).

Sadly, I do think we'll soon see the day when same-sex marriage is legalized in many of the states through popular vote. However, there may be a push for the Federal government to legalize it and ban any 'discriminatory' law or practice. Listening to the NPR story on the outcome in Maine, I remember one prominent gay rights activist (I forget names) quoted as saying that they needed to go to the Federal Government because trying to enact change at the state level wasn't working.

What was it the Book of Mormon said? "[T]he foundation of the destruction of this people is beginning to be laid by the unrighteousness of your lawyers and your judges"?