• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Winnie G@Nov 2 2005, 12:38 AM

No sorry head lines this moring MSNBC.

CTV

and so on.

you guys go ahead and think nothing stinks in the whitehouse and the rest of the free world have it all wrong. Dah

Not saying that nothing stinks in the White House....it could have been that left over sauerkraut they didn't throw out..... ;) All I'm saying is that the news media exaggerates things...and sometimes they just don't have their facts lined up.. Can't believe everything on MSNBC....except maybe the sports scores! lol

First of all, politics can be a very successful modicum of progress. However, where we see degradation of such a platform for government is when activist judges start "darwinizing" the the Constitution.

Second, I don't see any issue but the war that Democrats should be up in arms about with the president at this point. Me being a young conservative see this 2 term individual for what he is. A spender. We have massive power within the ranks and a majority around every corner...not to mention the leverage of the vote from the american people and we still can't buckle down and stick to our fiscally responsible measures. Someone made a good point on the Mike Savage show a little while back. We have had the Bush's and a Clinton in the whitehouse and the deficit has soured under their control. Now I would expect such a thing from bill clinton. But not from Bush 41 or Georgy Porgy. Thank goodness I am Mormon, because when the country seems to outright stink, I can just get into the government that doesn't let the people down.

Outshined is absolutley correct. The US isnt short on flu shots. I'll tell you what our BIGGEST problem is. Its that we're ALWAYS ALWAYS helping other countries with their problems and we're being invaded daily by illegals from every side, by land and by sea...wouldnt suprise me if some were sky diving in.

I'm not anti-immigration but I do believe that one should do it legally. And I dont think fleeing ones homeland is always the answer. Perhaps back in the day it was because it was a "new world" over here. But today with communication and travel as fast as it is I think if you dont like your country ... FIX IT!!!!!!!

As for good ol Canada....I've run across a few Canadian war ships and so far I've not been so impressed. They've not led a single mission when it comes to joint operations *this is if they even show up for work*

In my opinion the whole of the world *with a few exception countries* is giving us a dirty look and yelling "give me aid and support you great satan!"

Well, if the USA is as bad as you believe then go get aid from someone else and dont beg for food and money next time your poorly built cities fall on your head.

But thats the wrong attitude to have. "By our works ye shall know us" and isnt it Christ like to give and give and give even when your own are hurting?

It would be wrong to turn our backs on others simply because they hate us or use the excuse that our own people are too important to send any help.

I'd venture to say that most of you that post here have no idea of what the "real world " has to offer. Instead of picking on the US "because we're not helping enough" why dont you go down to some of the countries in South America where I've personally seen their soldiers toss infants into the air and take turns shooting rounds at it like a tin-can! Put your focus on THAT.

Families being herded into their houses and then made to burn todeath trapped inside while soldiers outside ensure you dont try and escape.........or My mom had to put out a few dollars to get a bloody flu shot!

I'm sorry for your mother's condition. If you'll remember my own step dad just recently died of lung canger. Let me say this. There are much worse things in the world. FAR WORSE THINGS

Originally posted by Winnie G@Nov 1 2005, 08:58 PM

PS: my mother called just now she received her flu shot, the hospice nurse brought one to her.

Winnie, how can that possibly be true. You said it yourself, the states can give out flu vaccinations if they don't have any to give out.

Really Winnie, you do have a hard time admitting when you are wrong about something or at least misinformed by your own reasoning.

The regular flu vaccinations in the States seem to be available to everyone at this very time. The problems that happened last year are not happening again. So there's no need to rant about what happened in the past when you can't justify it in the present. The extra money that Bush wants to spend is about the additional, more severe threats of other flu's (avian, pandemic like, etc.). Bush is actually doing the right thing by being attentive to this future threat now.

Admit it, you are misunderstanding what you are reading.

M.

Moreover, No you cannot get the flu from the shot. (Base Surgeon)

The Base Surgeon may tell you that, but other doctors do not necessarily agree. One doctor I saw said that the flu shot would not keep you from getting the flu, but it would help it be easier to handle. He had several patients who got the flu pretty soon after they got their shot. (which kind of makes people think that's what gave it to them)

I've talked to quite a few people who got their flu shots, got the flu horribly, and won't take another shot.

Then, there are those who tell me that they always get their shot at the beginning of the season, and they feel pretty good about it.

If I was in really bad health, I'd be afraid to take the shot myself, but that's just me. (My doctor and I went round and round about whether or not I should take it a couple of years ago.)

Thank goodness, it's still a choice and not mandated. (I prefer making my own choice whether it turns out right or wrong.)

Peace to all,

TXRed

The availability of flu vaccine and the general cost of health care to the elderly and low income are two entirely different subjects, IMHO.

Our health care system, IMHO, is definitely flawed. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer, and apparently, no one else has come up with it yet either.

Winnie is right about some of our elderly having to decide between food and meds or heat and meds. I happened to be chatting with an elderly woman at Wal Mart (in the fresh fruit section) one day who was telling me that her husband couldn't understand why she would not buy him certain fruit that he asked for. She went on to tell me how much money they put out for his meds each month and how much money they get from Social Security. It's sad! The cost of everything keeps going up, but the SS payments can't keep up with other things.

However, I do not blame Bush for that. Yes, Bush is president, but I put more of the blame on the many people in government positions below him and on the local levels as well. Many of them have been in politics for many many more years than he has and have been the ones to make the decisions that have gotten us to where we are today. Eight years of Bush will not be able to FIX the problems that have existed here for so many decades.

I, personally, get really bent out of shape when people start putting the blame for every problem on Bush. Personally, I like the man. . . . . . . . no, I don't think he is perfect, but even with his faults, he beats the heck out of what we had on capital hill before. :wacko:

In my opinion, one of the first things that we need to do to get some changes in our country is to insist that our leaders be on the same retirement plan that they have for the rest of us. . . . . . . . . . Social Security. Then, they need to live on a more reasonable salary. Gee whiz . . . . . . . . . imagine what most of us "regular type people" could do with a congressman's salary.

Frivolous lawsuits need to be stopped like the lady who went after McDonald's because SHE spilled hot coffee on herself. Or even worse, the guy who is trying to sue because "fast food" is making him fat. Gimme a break!

Yesterday, a man was telling me about a guy he knows who is involved in a lawsuit about using welding rods. The man said that his money from the asbestos suit was almost run out.

Yes, Winnie, there are a lot of things wrong here in the states. And, when we find out that our elected officials are voting according to their "special interests" groups, we need to get active and vote their butts out of office. Unfortunately, many of our own people also tend to put the blame on Bush, too, and they don't realize that their own senators and congressmen should shoulder a lot of the blame for problems. Some of those senators are "older than dirt" and have been in office forever. :hmmm:

However, we still have a pretty great nation. We still have more freedom than most of the rest of the world. And, we still have many more opportunities than other people do. We just need to make sure that we keep our eyes open and be watchful to be sure we don't lose our freedoms.

Winnie, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's condition. Cancer and the various treatments available is a whole other subject. That's a really difficult disease to have to deal with. It's touched the lives of many that I am close to. Many are altering their diets drastically and seeming to see some results. It's hard though.

Peace,

TXRed

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by Please+Nov 2 2005, 03:50 PM-->

TXred do you honestly think we have any power to vote? and I am not talking about submitting a ballot... I am talking about being counted...

I can't be sure anyone would count my vote if I voted...I can only rely on television to tell me that they are counting the votes.

But even if I they did...is there anyone worth voting for? All political parties appear to me to be equally flawed.

<!--QuoteBegin-Jason@Nov 2 2005, 09:45 AM

Ah if only we would heed the advice of George Washington...:sigh:

Just curious...which advice was that?

Originally posted by Winnie G@Nov 1 2005, 11:38 PM

CTV

and so on. 

you guys go ahead and think nothing stinks in the whitehouse and the rest of the free world have it all wrong. Dah

Well maybe something is wrong with US government, but not for the reasons you listed.

You were factually wrong on just about every single point you made on this thread--- how embarrassing.

If your mother is medically indigent, then she would qualify for MediCal which is medical welfare. The flu shot is a covered service. I don't know about all states but the benefits for MediCal recipients in California are far better than the benefits for those that pay their own premiums for health insurance. Many local Depts of Health offer the vaccine for free as do many other services and organizations. Besides which, if your mother is on hospice, then she has a payer source, probably Medicare and if she has Medicare, then she has coverage for the flu vaccine.... but I realize this post has nothing to do with your mother. You will misstate any fact, fabricate any story, even resort to manipulation by playing up your mom in order to bash the US President.

Pitiful.

The Base Surgeon may tell you that, but other doctors do not necessarily agree. One doctor I saw said that the flu shot would not keep you from getting the flu, but it would help it be easier to handle. He had several patients who got the flu pretty soon after they got their shot. (which kind of makes people think that's what gave it to them)

I've talked to quite a few people who got their flu shots, got the flu horribly, and won't take another shot.

Then, there are those who tell me that they always get their shot at the beginning of the season, and they feel pretty good about it.

If I was in really bad health, I'd be afraid to take the shot myself, but that's just me. (My doctor and I went round and round about whether or not I should take it a couple of years ago.)

Thank goodness, it's still a choice and not mandated. (I prefer making my own choice whether it turns out right or wrong.)

Peace to all,

TXRed

I think you are missing the point. The statement was not about whether getting the shot would absolutely prevent the flu but rather if the shot can cause the flu... which it cannot. It may cause some minor flu-like symptoms in a few people but it doesn't cause the flu itself.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Snow+Nov 2 2005, 10:25 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Winnie G@Nov 1 2005, 11:38 PM

CTV

and so on. 

You will misstate any fact, fabricate any story, even resort to manipulation by playing up your mom in order to bash the US President.

Pitiful.

You don't have to make up stuff to bash the US President these days... Bush puts out so much crap daily... it just naturally flies back in his face... no effort A tall!

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Nov 2 2005, 06:25 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Jason@Nov 2 2005, 09:45 AM

Ah if only we would heed the advice of George Washington...:sigh:

Just curious...which advice was that?

I was thinking of his final speech as President, where he told the people of the US to stay out of foreign entanglements. If we spent more of our funds on our own domestic problems and less on foreign "aid", we'd all be better off.

It disgusts me to see 3rd world countries in our own back yard (anyone ever been to the Navajo Reservation in Arizona?). Poverty, old people can't pay their damn heating bills, health care ######....but we give billions of dollars to ######in Israel?

Too bad we don't revert to our pre WWII mindset. Alas, tis not to be... :(

Originally posted by Winnie G@Nov 1 2005, 09:54 PM

Ok you can run around pounding your chests sounding off on how good the USA is and wrap your self in Bush the grate leader, but that fact is other new agencies are reporting Bush screwed up again this year and has not covered his hinny by good planning.

I Love the US every person in my family mother brothers sister and aunts, uncles, and so many cousins they could form a small county live in the lower forty-eight.

Way is it that such a grate country like the USA in all honesty cant get flu shots to those who need it?

If you have $$$ you can get it, but to those who live on little to no medical coverage have to beg to get it.

I want you to remember those of you on the board that could not get a flu shot for a medically fragile relative last year. ???

Think back all of you about the long lines of elderly passing out and dragging along their own lawn chairs to stand in the heat to get a free flu shot. Americans who most likely voted for Bush even died in those lines.

I am angry because those in my family are doing it all over again this year and then I read and watch the news and it is being reported now he is seeking money to just now stockpile!

It just seems to me that a county as rich and powerful as the United States cannot reach out to the one in dire need, those with out heath coverage.

Do not even get started in Medicare and Medicaid my sick and dieing mother is only allowed nine months of Taracba and that she had to fill out forms to ask to be a cases study by the drug company. Why is it that our loved ones are held at ransom because by governments and drug companies.

Oh they can get their meds but don’t eat or have a roof over your head.

Let’s not forget winter is coming meds or heat????

Canada can do what it does by what is called sin tax, that’s why a pack of cigarettes costs over 10.00 dollars and a case of beer 20.00 +. Every sin tax goes to heath care and med coverage for those on low incomes.

Flu clinics have been on going for weeks were I live. No long line ups and don’t say its because Canada has a lower population, the Millions that live in Toronto have not been standing in lines.

I really want Bush to explain to me why my mother and elderly relatives have to beg and stand in lines! Why my nieces and nephews who’s families cant afford heath care cant afford to get one. I walked in to my doctors office and asked if I could get my flu shot and they said sure you can do it now if you like. That the walk in clinic was giving them.

I sat for five minutes and that was that. My mother cant get one she is told its part shortage and poor planning. I want BUSH TO EXSPLAN WHY!

PS! Being Anti Bush does not make you supportive of our troops. So BUG OFF!

Winnie, please tell me where your mother lives (what city?). You can send me a PM if you'd like. At least in my part of the good ole US, there are flu shots set up everywhere... heck, even Lowe's Foods is going to have them this week. They cost $25. There are also free shots that I've been hearing about on the radio, but I'm not sure how you qualify, as there are lots of different programs. I know that Blue Cross Blue Shield has free flu shots. My husband's company had them for free in his break room the other day.

I think you should get the facts straight before going off on a tangent like this. It isn't good for your heart.

Peace to all,

TXRed

I think you are missing the point. The statement was not about whether getting the shot would absolutely prevent the flu but rather if the shot can cause the flu... which it cannot. It may cause some minor flu-like symptoms in a few people but it doesn't cause the flu itself.

No, I did not really miss the point. I understood that the Base Surgeon said you can not get the flu from taking the flu shot. I, personally, am not convinced of that.

I have talked to several people who got the worst case of flu that they had ever experienced right after taking their flu shot.

If you talk to different doctors about "anything", you will get differing opinions. One example: My child was born on Thursday night, and Saturday morning, I wanted to go home from the hospital. My doctor was ok with it, but the pediatrician gave me all kinds of static about how my child could get jaundiced, etc. . . . . . . . I had to sign her out of the hospital "against medical advice". :(

That really freaked me out; so I took her to the doctor the following Monday to be sure she did not have jaundice. As this doctor was examining her, he began to tell me to start her on baby cereal at two weeks. :wacko: I told him that I did not agree with that, because I was breastfeeding and it would slow down my milk production, etc. (I went into detail with my reasoning) He told me that he would not accept my child as his patient, because I would not follow what he wanted. He assured me that she was healthy and had no jaundice problems & sent me on my way without charging me.

I went across town to another doctor who, while examining her, told me that he preferred that I not feed her any solids until she was six months old. I said, "Ok". :wub:

My husband says that I just go from doctor to doctor until I find one that agrees with me. My feelings are that if they all have such differing opinions, why shouldn't I find the one that agrees with me? :idea:

So; just because one doctor says something is a certain way, that does not mean that I necessarily believe it. :D

Like I said before, thank goodness it is a choice and not mandated. ;) I'd be in a heap of trouble.

TXRed

P.S. As with other things, I strongly believe that we need to pray about all decisions that we make. Gather as much info as we can, and take it to the Lord as to what WE need to do in our particular instance. I do not believe that the answers are always the same for everyone. Just my opinion. . . . . everyone has a right to one. (Of course, I tell my friends that they have a RIGHT to mine and that I give it freely. :blush: )

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Please@Nov 2 2005, 05:50 PM

TXred do you honestly think we have any power to vote? and I am not talking about submitting a ballot... I am talking about being counted...

:sparklygrin: YES, I do!!!

Actually, I HAVE to or . . . . . . . . . . . . . . man, would I be depressed. :(

Grant it, I also know that over the years, there have been some really dirty dealings going on. :angry: But, if we don't vote, we sure as heck will not be counted.

I'm fairly "young" in politics, and the more that I learn, the more frustrated I get. However, I am also getting more determined to do what ever I can to make some changes even if they are very minute.

It is my understanding (from others who were involved in politics ages ago) that such things as "dead" votes were placed for LBJ when he first got into office. Since that time, there are certain rules in place to help prevent that sort of thing.

For instance, there are certain checks and balances at each polling location to prevent fraud. Now, that's not to say that it can not happen. . . . . . . . anytime someone really wants to figure out a way to "cheat", they can usually find a way.

However, from working the polls almost each time since about 1978, I feel pretty confident that our votes are counted. In fact, we have actually seen, on some local elections in particular, that just one vote has made a difference.

I do not really understand about the electoral college yet, and have not done much study on it either. So; I can't give you any info on that. (most of my involvement has been restricted to working the poll, acting as a poll watcher, writing resolutions, attending county and state meetings, and recently, attending some local political meetings. Sounds like a lot, but it really is not.)

I am extremely upset and angry over the new law that was just passed where we have to allow anyone to vote regardless of whether or not they are on our rolls. :angry::angry::angry: This one just blew my mind when I first heard about it, but when I actually saw it put into practice at the last election, it really infuriated me.

Here's the scoop: people came in to vote who were not on our printed list and who flat out told us that they had never sign up to vote. They demanded that they had the right to vote though; so we had to allow them to vote on a special ballot that was placed in an envelope and then into the ballot box. When the box got to the county clerk's office, she was to determine whether or not their ballot was legal and should be counted.

problem #!: it's a waste of our time and resources processing someone who we know (and they know) never even attempted to register to vote.

problem #2: those people who voted that way walked away thinking that they had done something, so they still won't make the effort to get legally registered to be sure that their vote counts the next time.

problem #3: here is a potential for fraud . . . . . . people can go from place to place to place to vote as often as they want to. Mind you, hopefully, their votes will NOT be counted since they are not legally registered, but with that many extra votes sitting there available, who is to say that someone won't decide to count the ones they like? (there just is no need for the extra work, paper, or decisions to be made)

People need to register to vote. Then, they need to exercise their right to vote. Then, they need to become more involved in finding out about the issues and how they can change them.

We can not be sure that the person we elect will be able or willing to do what we think they will, but if we sit back and do nothing, we are definitely lost.

Sorry, this particular subject should probably be moved elsewhere. :blush:

There was a guy back in my old precinct district that came in each presidential election and wrote in "Mickey Mouse". His philosophy was that he did not have the right to complain about who was president if he did not vote; so he voted for who he wanted. B) This drove the Precinct Judge crazy, because she felt like he was wasting his vote. She finally convinced him that she had actually seen elections won by only a few votes; so the man started voted for someone on the ballot.

There have been plenty of times that I have felt like I simply voted for the lesser of two evils, but if I didn't vote, then the worst of the two evils would be elected. :(

Try to meet your candidates face to face if possible, and be bold enough to ask them questions. Listen up when others ask them questions also, and see what answers they get. Talk to people you trust, and see what their opinions of a candidate are. Do everything you can to make as informed a decision as possible.

We have elections coming up next Tuesday. If you are registered, go VOTE!!!

If you are not registered, go get registered. You won't be able to vote this time (unless you want to vote that "limited" ballot thing), :wacko: but there are other elections coming up next year.

Peace,

TXRed