Attending a Jewish wedding

Choseph

My best friend from college is finally getting married. He has asked me to be in it but the thing is, he is Jewish and getting married in a synagogue. I want to be supportive but I also don' t want to blaspheme the holy spirit. I know we both are "sons" of Abraham and I figure that I could possible witness to him and other non-LDS people there. What do you guys think? Thanks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First let me understand by what you mean by blaspheme the Holy Spirit? Also curious as to what you also mean by witness to him and other non lds? I'm not sure what the difference would be with him being Jewish as opposed to Catholic etc.

He's asked you to be in his wedding. I honestly don't understand the problem but hoping you can clarify.

There wouldn't be anything wrong with entering a synagogue, at least from the LDS perspective that I can think of. I'm assuming since you were invited there isn't an issue from the Jewish one either.

As far as proselyting at the wedding, it is in another church. How would you feel if you invited a evangelical friend to a wedding or reception at the local chapel and he spend the time witnessing to all the non-evangelicals there? Even full-time Missionaries are told not to proselyte at other faith's places of worship. Maybe by witness you mean answer questions and be a good example, which'd be fine in my mind. It's just that witness brings to mind a more active approach.

Edited by Dravin

My best friend from college is finally getting married. He has asked me to be in it but the thing is, he is Jewish and getting married in a synagogue. I want to be supportive but I also don' t want to blaspheme the holy spirit. I know we both are "sons" of Abraham and I figure that I could possible witness to him and other non-LDS people there. What do you guys think? Thanks.

What the... :lol: I don't know anyone in the Church that talks like this. I mean the terminology is all wrong.

Take this sentence, for instance:

I know we both are "sons" of Abraham and I figure that I could possible witness to him and other non-LDS people there.

This is how a Mormon might say it, if we ever said anything like that at all.

I know we are all children of Heavenly Father, and I figure that I could do some missionary work while I was there with all the non-members.

Not to mention the fact that Mormons generally don't think like that, or worry about visiting other churches or synagogues, or that that even comes close to blasphemy against the Holy Ghost if we did.

I got a good laugh out of this attempt.

Regards,

Vanhin

What the... :lol: I don't know anyone in the Church that talks like this. I mean the terminology is all wrong.

I know we both are "sons" of Abraham and I figure that I could possible witness to him and other non-LDS people there.

I know we are all children of Heavenly Father, and I figure that I could do some missionary work while I was there with all the non-members.

Not to mention the fact that Mormons generally don't think like that, or worry about visiting other churches or synagogues, or that that even comes close to blasphemy against the Holy Ghost if we did.

Regards,

Vanhin

though i did notice the non traditional lds terminology there i didn't think much of it. in some areas that are not as saturated with lds there are a lot of adult converts that grew up very active in other faiths... the terminology and way of doing things (like how they pray) from the other religion will often carry over.

no your response is fine.... worry a bit about my first reaction though. lol... i'm not sure i understand the op either... just thought it'd throw out there that it might be legit and there is something we are missing with the background of the op..... as much to remind myself as anyone else. lol

This sounds like it would be a neat experience, and a way to learn more about the Old Testament, as it's also known as the Torah. It's considered rude to go to another church event and start preaching, since I'm sure you would be offended if some Evangelicals started sharing their anti-LDS beliefs at a wedding reception in a local chapel's hall.

No, those mean different things. Every human being is a child of the heavenly Father. Being a son of Abraham is different. But I agree, the "sons of Abraham" thing is not particularly common LDS parlance. A more likely thing would be to say that they are "of the Abrahamic covenant"or some such expression. "Sons of Abraham" sounds very Muslim to me, kind of like "people of the book".

I have heard some recently baptized people voice such concerns. Those more mature in the gospel don't usually worry about such things.

I figured it was from a recent convert who hadn't quite absorbed "Mormonish" yet. But maybe you're right and it was a troll. The use of "holy spirit" instead of "Holy Ghost" and "witness" instead of "bear testimony" do sound other than traditional LDS. Also, I would hope that Latter-day Saints would not look at an invitation to a friend's wedding as an opportunity to overtly proselytize the wedding guests, as some anti-Mormons seem to portray.

Someone tried this at the wedding of my Nam Vet's buddy's daughter. She decided she needed to be loud about how Joseph Smith wasn't a prophet, and the BoM was written by man, etc. My buddy kicked her out.

LM

Wow I can't believe someone had the nerve to do that at a wedding. But then there is a religious group that pickets and protests the funerals of men killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. So I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised by what people will do.

Please forgive me, an extremely orthodox Chassidic Jew from Brooklyn, N.Y. for weighing in on this but I just could not contain myself from doing so. Is this person for real? Would someone from a different belief and religion actually entertain the notion of going to someone elses wedding, a religious ceremony held in their House of Worship and think to insult their host, the bride and groom by spouting what would no doubt be viewed as blasphemy? I can't envision in my wildest dreams, a Jew going to an LDS function of any kind or a Catholic, Muslim, or Buddhist or anyone else for that matter and go fishing for souls at that function.

To even ask the question is near unforgiveable.

Sorry to butt in as it is perhaps not my place to do so, but I just had to get this off my chest.

All the best.

HERSHEL

Hershel that is why we were inquiring or attempting to get a clarification of what was meant in the opening post.

I agree with you 100%. Something of that nature would not be appropriate if THAT is in fact the intent.

Also please understand that the question asked was in no way the general thought of what we, as LDS, would do or attempt.

Edited by pam

Is this person for real?

I think that's what we are all wondering. Vanhin decided this was just a troll.

I can't envision in my wildest dreams, a Jew going to an LDS function of any kind or a Catholic, Muslim, or Buddhist or anyone else for that matter and go fishing for souls at that function.

Your dreams are perhaps somewhat tamer than those of most people...

That is the absolute epitome of hyperbole (pronounced EP-uh-towm uv HAI-per-bowl, for all you Brian Regen fans).

Please forgive me, an extremely orthodox Chassidic Jew from Brooklyn, N.Y. for weighing in on this but I just could not contain myself from doing so. Is this person for real? Would someone from a different belief and religion actually entertain the notion of going to someone elses wedding, a religious ceremony held in their House of Worship and think to insult their host, the bride and groom by spouting what would no doubt be viewed as blasphemy? I can't envision in my wildest dreams, a Jew going to an LDS function of any kind or a Catholic, Muslim, or Buddhist or anyone else for that matter and go fishing for souls at that function.

Sorry to butt in as it is perhaps not my place to do so, but I just had to get this off my chest.

All the best.

HERSHEL

Glad to see another Yid around. I just regret the circumstances as they are most offending to our people. This reminds me of the time in the other forum where a Christian accused us of worshipping the devil. What those who play pranks on forums don't understand is that we've lost family over these very same accusations. I guess we'll only stop being persecuted in the olam habah. Sadly the part about trying to convert people inside our own synagogues is not made-up. I've seen it many times.

:(

Edited by thekabalist
Correction

This reminds me of the time in the other forum where a Christian accused us of worshipping the devil.

Whoever that was is a fool and ignorant and does not deserve the title of Christian.

Hi,

Suddenly I don't feel so alone here, lol. I must agree despite the fact that LDS folk are known to be a bit agressive in their approach, the folks here seem to be a fine and mellow group of people. I think it both important and valuable that people like thekabalist and myself make ourselves available to others of different beliefs if for no other reason than to provide a a sane and rational answer to any question that may be posed regarding the Jewish religigion. I can speak with knowledge and leave myself open to answer any question posed about Jewish beliefs and religious practice and I hope folks here will be tolerant to any questions I may have regarding LDS as I am an avid student of other religions and cultures. I feel that ignorance is not bliss but indeed incredibly dangerous and we should all help each other learn and understand but stop well short of trying to impress our beliefs on others.

Al the best.

HERSHEL

I think it both important and valuable that people like thekabalist and myself make ourselves available to others of different beliefs if for no other reason than to provide a a sane and rational answer to any question that may be posed regarding the Jewish religion.

I think quite a few LDS can understand that sentiment as they share it themselves. Actually that sentiment is, unless i'm confused, the entire premise behind this forum in general. To let other's ask questions (and let us ask questions of ourselves). Now obviously we're more evangelical than Judaism (unless I'm mistaken you don't actively seek converts) but sometimes the best missionary work doesn't result in converts and consists of answering questions and clearing up misunderstandings.

With two of you kicking around maybe we should start up an ask the Jew thread. :)

I must agree despite the fact that LDS folk are known to be a bit agressive in their approach, the folks here seem to be a fine and mellow group of people.

I think our enemies have been more than happy to perpetuate that misconception. It is true, that we do missionary work throughout the world, however, I have never known our missionaries to be aggressive, generally speaking. We usually work to win the hearts of the leaders and the people of the countries where we want to proselytize, and we don't sneak Bibles and Book's of Mormon into countries that forbid it. We try to be respectful to others and their religious beliefs.

Take Israel, for instance.

The LDS church has two congregations in Israel. These are the Galilee Branch in Tiberias and the Jerusalem Branch in Jerusalem. Latter-day Saints in Israel hold their worship services on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath.

Mormons do not proselytize in the area and the members are discouraged from proselytizing. There are legal restrictions in Israel concerning this issue. (Source)

I think we are quite tolerant and reasonable people to work with, no matter what your religion is.

Regards,

Vanhin

I think our enemies have been more than happy to perpetuate that misconception. It is true, that we do missionary work throughout the world, however, I have never known our missionaries to be aggressive, generally speaking. We usually work to win the hearts of the leaders and the people of the countries where we want to proselytize, and we don't sneak Bibles and Book's of Mormon into countries that forbid it. We try to be respectful to others and their religious beliefs.

Take Israel, for instance.

The LDS church has two congregations in Israel. These are the Galilee Branch in Tiberias and the Jerusalem Branch in Jerusalem. Latter-day Saints in Israel hold their worship services on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath.

Mormons do not proselytize in the area and the members are discouraged from proselytizing. There are legal restrictions in Israel concerning this issue. (Source)

I think we are quite tolerant and reasonable people to work with, no matter what your religion is.

Regards,

Vanhin

Please do not take exception to the term "agressive" as I didn't mean it to have have negative connotations. As Dravin accurately noted, Jews do not proselytize at all to other religions, so to me agressive means "out there" "obvious" "in the open" "pro active" "visible" etc...

All the best.

HERSHEL