Fasting on Fast Sunday - is it a commandment?

gualeguaychu

Does anyone know about the origins of Fast Sunday? Was it instituted as a result of a specific commandment or instruction from the Lord? I'm curious because, to me, it seems like it's purpose it more to provide a set time when members can fast and share testimonies, rather that just leaving it up to the individual members to do it on their own. That being the case, if I don't fast on a particular Fast Sunday, but instead shift it to some other time during the month, would I be breaking a commandment?

Again from lds.org

Purposes of Fasting

On one occasion, the Savior cast a devil out from a child and used this experience to teach His disciples about the power of prayer and fasting. His disciples asked Him, "Why could not we cast him out?" Jesus answered: "Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." (See Matthew 17:14–21.)

This account teaches that prayer and fasting can give added strength to those giving and receiving priesthood blessings. The account can also be applied to our personal efforts to live the gospel. If we have a weakness or sin that we have struggled to overcome, we may need to fast and pray in order to receive the help or forgiveness we desire. Like the demon that Christ cast out, our difficulty may be the kind that will go out only through prayer and fasting.

We can fast for many purposes. Fasting is one way of worshiping God and expressing gratitude to Him (see Luke 2:37; Alma 45:1). We can fast as we ask Heavenly Father to bless the sick or afflicted (see Matthew 17:14–21). Fasting may help us and those we love receive personal revelation and become converted to the truth (see Alma 5:46; 6:6). Through fasting we can gain strength to resist temptation (see Isaiah 58:6). We can fast as we strive to humble ourselves before God and exercise faith in Jesus Christ (see Omni 1:26; Helaman 3:35). We may fast to receive guidance in sharing the gospel and magnifying Church callings (see Acts 13:2–3; Alma 17:3, 9; 3 Nephi 27:1–2). Fasting may accompany righteous sorrow or mourning (see Alma 28:4–6; 30:1–2).

Fast Sunday

The Church designates one Sunday each month, usually the first Sunday, as a day of fasting. Proper observance of fast Sunday includes going without food and drink for two consecutive meals, attending fast and testimony meeting, and giving a fast offering to help care for those in need.

A fast offering should be at least the value of the two meals not eaten. When possible, we should be generous and give much more than this amount.

In addition to observing the fast days set aside by Church leaders, we can fast on any other day, according to our needs and the needs of others. However, we should not fast too frequently or for excessive periods of time.

The True Fast

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught the true form of fasting. He spoke against hypocrites who, when they fast, "disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast." Rather than putting on an outward show of righteousness, we should fast "unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly" (Matthew 6:16–18).

The prophet Isaiah also taught of the true spirit of the fast: "Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?" (Isaiah 58:6–7).

Isaiah also testified of the blessings that come when we obey the law of the fast: "Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward. Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. . . . If thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday: and the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not" (Isaiah 58:8–11).

The idea of fasting is not only for spiritual..but we give fast offerings for those 2 meals we give up on fast Sunday so that we might be able to help those in need.

I'm sure that if there was another day more suitable to your needs it would be the same. But the idea is to still provide fast offerings for those 2 meals missed. We learn sacrifice from this.

The primary principle and commandment of fasting is the fast itself, no matter when its done. But the Lord, through His prophets and apostles has set aside a certain Sunday for us to fast. I think thats close enough to a commandment thats its best just to observe it.

Fasting is, however, a very personal matter. I taught a man on my mission that was diabetic so he cannot go without food for long enough to observe fast Sunday. He was torn apart about this because he wanted to fast so much. We told him that if the desire was there the Lord would understand his unique situation. I think your question has to be largely between you, yourself and God. My advice would be that if you are trying to move your fast Sunday to a different day out of convenience, dont do it (as convenience would take away from the sacrifice, which is the point of it all anyway). If you are moving it out of need, however, I think the Lord will understand.

Like most principles in the gospel fasting must be understood to be practised. A small child has no understanding, but it might see the parents fast and will be told what they are doing. When it grows older, it might start with fasting for one meal until it finally fasts a whole day like adults... Our kids started one-meal-fasting around their 6th birthday and tried to fast a whole day when they were baptized. But I think there is no strict rule that is to be applied. At the age of 12 any healthy child should be able to fast the full period.

Nevertheless: people and especialy children who are sick and pregnant or nursing women should be careful and perhaps discuss the matter with their medical advisor.

By the way: There were times when the official day of fasting was NOT always on a Sunday. at the time of Brigham Young it was the first Thursday of the Month (I think this remained until the 1960ies). And BY mentioned in his speech, that Joseph Smith started it in Kirtland when the poor asked for help and were sustained by donations (DBY,169... or Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young, chapter 21)

Fasting is mentioned several times in D&C, and it is mentioned as a commandment in D&C 59:5, including many other commandments that create a certain spirit of fasting.

So YES I would say that fasting once every month is a commandment.

I think that fasting in general is a commandment, and the institution of Fast Sunday just facilitates obedience of that commandment. If there wasn't a specific day set aside every month, would you take time to think about when you would fast? I wouldn't.

From the Wikipedia:

Biblical accounts of fasting

Moses fasted for forty days and forty nights, twice back-to-back, without food or water; the first, immediately before he received the tablets on the mountain with God. And the second, after coming down, seeing the Israelites practicing idolatry, and breaking the tablets in anger. (Deuteronomy 9:7-21)

King David fasted when the son of his adulterous union with Bathsheba was struck sick by God, in punishment for the adultery and for David's murder of Bathsheba's husband, Uriah the Hittite. Nevertheless, the son died, upon which David broke his fast (2 Samuel 12:15-25).

King Jehoshaphat proclaimed a fast throughout Judah for victory over the Moabites and Ammonites who were attacking them (2 Chronicles 20:3).

The prophet Joel called for a fast to avert the judgment of God.

The people of Nineveh, in response to Jonah's prophecy, fasted to avert the judgment of God (Jonah 3:7).

The Jews of Persia, following Mordechai's example, fasted because of the

genocidal decree of Haman. Queen Esther declared a three-day fast for all the Jews prior to risking her life in visiting King Ahasuerus uninvited (Esther 4).

Saul, later Paul, did not eat or drink anything for three days after he converted on the road to Damascus.

Jesus fasted for forty days and forty nights while in the desert, being tempted by Satan to turn stones into bread and eat them, among other tempations. (Matthew 4:2, Luke 4:2).

The prophetess Anna, who proclaimed the baby Jesus to be the Messiah, prayed and fasted regularly in the Temple (Luke 2:37).

There are indications in the New Testament as well as from the Didache that members of an Early Christian Church fasted regularly.

Jesus teaches on the outward appearance and demeanor of a fasting person (Matthew 6:16). It is also an assumed action of the believer (see: "And when you pray..." Matthew 6:5 - "When you fast..." Matthew 6:16)

David used fasting as an act of humbling his soul (Psalm 35:13).

The church in Antioch were worshipping the Lord and fasting when the Holy Spirit told them to send Barnabas and Saul for work (Acts 13:2).

Paul and Barnabus appointed elders with prayer and fasting (Acts 14:23).

Biblical teaching on fasting

The prophet Isaiah chastised the Israelites in Isaiah 58 for the unrighteous methods and motives of their fasting. He clarified some of the best reasons for fasting and listed both physical and spiritual benefits that would result (Isaiah 58:3-13).

Jesus warned his followers against fasting only to make others admire them. He provided practical steps on how to fast in private. (Matthew 6:16–18).

The Pharisees in Jesus' time fasted regularly and asked Jesus why his disciples did not. Jesus answered them using a parable (Matthew 9:14-15, Mark 2:18-20, Luke 5:33-39, see also Mark 2).

In some manuscripts Jesus ascribes the Disciples' inability to cast out spirits to a lack of prayer and fasting.(Mark 9:29) These, however, are later manuscripts and the words "and fasting" are omitted from many modern translations.

###

It should be noted that fasting is a part of almost all known faith traditions.

:)