How does the church feel about mental illness?

I was baptized into the church in 2006 and for some reasons I don't recall became inactive a few months later. I am trying to relearn about the church, as in all this time, I've forgotten some of the beliefs.

Anyway, on to my question. I was recently diagnosed as having Bipolar II and am being medicated for it. How does the church view mental illness? I know some denominations of Christianity see it as being of Satan. As far as I'm concerned it's an illness much like Diabetes, etc. and God gave us doctors and medications for a reason.

Thank you in advance! :)

I am an ex-Mormon, and obviously do not speak for the Church. However, a few years ago I was involved in a project where the goal was to discover how the Church accommodated people with disabilities. A strong pattern emerged that showed the members of the Church went out of their way to help anyone with a physical disability.

Mental disabilities were harder. It was not because the Church did not recognize them, or that it did not want to help in any way it could when a mentally ill member joined a new ward. The fact is, mental illness can cause a member to be extremely difficult, and that causes people to keep their distance.

However, only 2 of the 5 people with metal illness were disruptive. The others said their bishops did not understand their illness, but listened to them when they told him, or other members, about their mental struggles.

Elphaba

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

1) Utah is one of the most Prozac-ed states in the country.

2) Yeah, there are some people who probably still view mental illness as literally being possessed by an evil spirit, but those people are very few and far between.

3) Most people will recognize that it's not something that is your "fault" or anything you can just "fix" but just a challenge and trial in your life that you have to overcome.

4) There will be some in an in-between camp who think that if you just pray enough and have enough faith that you can overcome it (these people also think that infertility can be overcome through prayer and righteous living), without recognizing that it is often a chemical issue, not just "all in your head."

5) Finally, it's not like you're going to walk back into church and say, "Hey I was baptized 4 years ago, and I'm coming back to church, but I just want you to all know that I have bi-polar disorder: keep a wide berth!" People will find out because they will develop a relationship with you and get to know you first (except maybe in the case of the Bishop, since I imagine you'll probably meet with him a few times).

How does the church view mental illness? I know some denominations of Christianity see it as being of Satan. As far as I'm concerned it's an illness much like Diabetes, etc. and God gave us doctors and medications for a reason.

"The Church" (defined as it's leaders, their opinions, the doctrine, etc) Thinks about mental illness much as you do. Be it biochemical imbalances or trauma-induced behavioral issues or what have you, mental illness is an illness. It's not from Satan. Medication (as prescribed by a mental health professional) is a valueable tool.

Now, "The Church" (defined as it's members), have wide and diverse opinions on the subject. You will probably encounter an ignorant mormon here and there who will spout out all sorts of horribly wrong opinions on the subject.

Here's an Ensign article where Elder Morrison of the Seventy discusses several of the common Myths about Mental Illness. It's very good reading. I keep the article link handy here on LDS forums, for whenever I encounter someone who believes these myths. The article was taken from his book Valley of Sorrow: A Layman's Guide to Understanding Mental Illness, which is an excellent book. I've purchased several dozen over the years and given them away to Bishopric members and Stake presidencies, and anyone I feel might need it.

Welcome!

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

How does the church view mental illness? I know some denominations of Christianity see it as being of Satan. As far as I'm concerned it's an illness much like Diabetes, etc. and God gave us doctors and medications for a reason.

There has never been, to my knowledge, anything in the church teachings that would infer that mental illness was the work of Satan. Especially today. That doesn't mean the church and the people in it understand mental illness. But I believe that most members of the church greet such sitiations with compassion and they do see it as something like diabetes.

This reminds me of the scriptures in the NT with the blind man and those who questioned whether or not the child or his parents had sinned. The Lord hit the nail on the head.

John 9:2-3

And his disciples asked him, saying, Master who did sin, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?

Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents; but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

We all struggle with something. And we can all bear one anothers burdens that they be light. :)

Welcome back to church. I have a friend who is bipolar and his daughter is too. My sister in law is also bipolar so I know a lot about what you are going through. The church teaches both spiritual healing as well as medical healing, and I am so grateful that medicine has advanced to where we have treatments for such disorders. Rely on your doctor's advice and follow his council, and when things get rough, you can always rely on your bishop or other priesthood holder for a spiritual boost. Do not be afraid to ask for a priesthood blessing to get you through it.

I was baptized into the church in 2006 and for some reasons I don't recall became inactive a few months later. I am trying to relearn about the church, as in all this time, I've forgotten some of the beliefs.

Anyway, on to my question. I was recently diagnosed as having Bipolar II and am being medicated for it. How does the church view mental illness? I know some denominations of Christianity see it as being of Satan. As far as I'm concerned it's an illness much like Diabetes, etc. and God gave us doctors and medications for a reason.

I think the church's position is quite similar to yours.

When an afflicted child was brought to Jesus he was asked which parent sinned that he (the child) would be afflicted thus? His answer was neither.

Also, we cannot justly be held accountable for things which we have no control over. We also believe that were are given stumbling blocks to humble us, and also that one way of showing faith is to do what we can (in this case it would be visiting the doctors, getting the right meds and etc..) as well as inquiring of God for help.

Edited by Blackmarch

As a whole, I would like to believe the Church is caring and considerate towards its members that suffer mental or physical disability. But of course, all that can break down to how individual members in the ward etc etc, feel about it. I'm sure you'll get many different opinions and comfort zones when you address the issue one-on-one to other people.

Anyway, small experience to share with you. I was diagnosed Bipolar in my late teens. So you can imagine how rocky and unstable I was during that time. Shortly after I got married but both of us were completely inactive. Sour events eventually led us back to the Church seeking advice and counsel. During our "sessions" with the Bishop, he sprung on me the idea of me becoming a primary teacher.. Needless to say, my Bipolar was in full manic swing because of the rough patch my ex-husband and I were going through. I told the Bishop that I was not mentally stable for such a responsibility and that I strongly felt it was not good timing for me (after all I know myself). Well the Bishop knew NOTHING of Bipolar, at all. He assured me that I was just stressed and that the blessings I received from accepting this calling would strengthen me as a person. So I went home and prayed about it etc etc but my anxiety and depression got worse.. When I returned to him to tell him my final decision, he was not supportive and kept "pushing" me to change my answer to "yes". I was very upset already and couldn't believe he was guilt tripping me on this. I was having all sorts of episodes from SI to suicidal thoughts, all that come and go with Bipolar and are intensified when additional stress is put on. In short, he proceeded to tell me that God knows me best and wouldn't challenge me with something I couldn't do. Oh great, another guilt trip. I told him I was not of sound mind and that was the last time we went back there for advice and counsel from him because I was so afraid of how I'd be viewed at church. Remember, we were inactive and attending sacrament meeting alone was very foreign to us.

So anyway, I think as a whole the Church is understanding but there are some individuals that are uninformed and therefore uneducated about certain illnesses, and don't know how to properly address them.

Thanks, everyone. Bini, thank you for sharing your experience. I am so sorry you went through that! The last time I went to church, I recall fliers in the entryway about NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness. I believe one of the Elders had a son who was bipolar. So I don't think I'd have any problems with that. Like you said, Bini, it would be individuals, though, not the church that would have a problem with it. I'm doing okay with my meds, though. Hopefully I can get myself back to church, soon!

Hai :)

i'm 22, i have bipolar, anxiety and depression so what i say comes from personal exp.

The church, was at first very supportive, but it's very difficult for people from anywhere to accept mental illness at all.

It's very difficult for them to recognise the highs and the lows, personally, being baptised was the best thing i ever did, because even in the dire times when it feels like your alone, you can always turn to God.

My Bishop had busted me self harming in his office when we had just spoken about my testimony, the response was amazing, they were kind and considerete, even took me to the hospital to get fixed up.

There are alot more people in the church that have mental illness's that seem to be ashamed of it, don't be, God loves you regaurdless of what "flaws" you may have.

There will always be that kind of Taboo nature about mental illness, my advice be forth coming when people ask, or are curious.

The Church is always True. The Gospel is your salvation.

The people, need a little more work mostly, it's because alot of them don't understand it, or feel that it's something that should be swept under the rug.

They do offer services through the LDS that you can speak to about your illness, so they have that aspect covered.

But basically we are human, and people fear what they don't know or understand.

The church itself has no doctrine against mentall illness; if it did probably 90 percent of the members would be in trouble. dont worry about it; just do what your heart tells you to do, and speak the things your heart tells you to speak; every single member of every single religon on earth does and says stupid things at times; we are not perfect, either are you, so come back to where you belong.:)