Pet Peeves

theoriginalavatar

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pet peeve -- students who can't get their work done on time, then tell excuses and expect me to do flips to accomodate them. Or students who use the "you made a mistake so now you owe me marks, an extension, etcetera" argument. Very common in post-secondary education. Good thing I took steps to fix this two semesters ago.

Amazing how everyone's mother stopped dying when I instituted a "no late work accepted for any reason unless arrangements made 12 hours in advance of the deadline". I think OBAMA should include that in his health care reform. Car accidents ceased, everyone's children stopped getting sick, there were not more doctor's appointments or dental surgeries necessary that interefered with their school work, and better yet, everone's hard drives and computers stopped malfunctioning on the day assignments are due!

But what if any of those things really did happen, within the last 12 hours?

Funky....why does she have to be blind?

Probably so she can't see Funky?

Pet peeves

1. Not being able to find pitted green olives without something stuck in the hole. I understand that all the HS dropouts need work, and stuffing pimentos in olives may be gainful employment, but sheesh! I want a pitted olive with NOTHING in the whole.

2. Not being able to get Lucques olives in the US reliably. And when you can, spending more per pound than you would for Fillet Mignon or lobster.

Yes, I love olives.

3. Everyone who blathers on about how great snow crab or king crab is. Any real gourmand knows that Dungeness is where its at on the west coast, and Maryland Blueshell on the East coast.

4. People who wait until they get up to the checkout line to have a conversation with a long-lost relative. I don't want to hear about who-did-what-to-whom 25 years ago.

I think that's enough for now.

Guest Godless

3. Everyone who blathers on about how great snow crab or king crab is. Any real gourmand knows that Dungeness is where its at on the west coast, and Maryland Blueshell on the East coast.

Yes.

Pet peeves

1. Not being able to find pitted green olives without something stuck in the hole. I understand that all the HS dropouts need work, and stuffing pimentos in olives may be gainful employment, but sheesh! I want a pitted olive with NOTHING in the whole.

When I was a kid (am 57 & 11 months old now), my Mom would have me remove the pimentos from the olives and save them so she could add the pimentos to melted velveeta cheese. I would do a LARGE jar or two at a time, and wash my hands after doing 10 or 15 olives, as they would get itchy.

I prefer black olives myself. Love them sliced on tuna (with sliced dill pickles, minced celery and onions) sandwiches. Or minced and mixed in cream cheese and eaten on black rye toast.

• 2 months later...

I have not read through this thread yet but wanted to add my own. Hope it doesn't duplicate. Anyhow, I hate people who stand in a long line up for fast food, and only when they are actually up to the counter, and they are asked what would they like, do they decide to LOOK at the menu and decide what to order. The menu that has been visible to them the entire time they were in the line up. That one really boils my blood!!

I have not read through this thread yet but wanted to add my own. Hope it doesn't duplicate. Anyhow, I hate people who stand in a long line up for fast food, and only when they are actually up to the counter, and they are asked what would they like, do they decide to LOOK at the menu and decide what to order. The menu that has been visible to them the entire time they were in the line up. That one really boils my blood!!

Related to this is restaurants who have their menu board hidden behind a soffit so you can only see it when standing at the counter.

Not being able to find pitted green olives without something stuck in the hole. I understand that all the HS dropouts need work, and stuffing pimentos in olives may be gainful employment, but sheesh! I want a pitted olive with NOTHING in the whole.

I am just north of Corning, the olive capital of California. You can get about a gazillion types of olives you never knew existed.

• 9 months later...

When people refer to the iconic center of Manhattan as Time Square. It's Times Square, you know, after the New York Times??

Oh now that's just getting downright picky. :P