Can a regular priesthood holder perform marriages?

Tarnished

My husband and I were in Sacrament meeting this last Sunday and the thought randomly crossed my mind, "Can missionaries perform marriages?" I thought that since they are sometimes called as Branch Presidents and as sometimes couples will approach their Bishop to be married outside the temple that a missionary might need to have that ability. So I asked my husband and he said yes they can perform marriages. So then I asked, "Does that mean that you can perform marriages?" At this my hubby said it would be a good question to ask the forum, as he did not know the answer.

So if you have gone on a mission and hold the office of an Elder, but you are returned and are now just a regular priesthood holder, not a Bishop, not a missionary, just an Elder, can you perform marriages or would you need to be specifically a Bishop or a missionary who is called as a Branch President? For that matter would a missionary who is not a Branch President be able to perform a marriage?

Just a random question, no deep ponderings behind it all.

The church rescinds the authority to represent the Church in a marriage ceremony from those who have been released from the callings that allow them to perform those services. So, in short, no.

However, a former bishop may, in some states, retain a license to marry individuals, but he may not claim authority from the Church to do so.

Guest mysticmorini

only Bishops, stake presidents, active duty military chaplains, mission, and branch presidents may preform civil marriages, once they have been released from these callings they are no longer allowed to officiate in these ceremonies.

Edited by mysticmorini

only Bishops, stake presidents, active duty military chaplains, mission, and branch presidents may preform civil marriages, once they have been released from these callings they are no longer allowed to officiate in these ceremonies.

They may also be allowed if the LDS person is a designated civil officer (Judge, Justice of the Peace) or a ship captain.

If the question "can" means, as a matter of Church law, then the answer MOE gives above is sound.

If the question "can" means, as a matter of civil law, it's going to be a matter of state law and will likely differ state to state. I haven't done a lot of homework here, but I think it would be difficult for a state to recognize a marriage performed by a "minister" ordained via an online ordination mill, while declining to recognize a marriage performed by a Mormon elder.

Guest mysticmorini

They may also be allowed if the LDS person is a designated civil officer (Judge, Justice of the Peace) or a ship captain.

thats technically true, i was speaking form a authority from the church perspective.

If the question "can" means, as a matter of Church law, then the answer MOE gives above is sound.

If the question "can" means, as a matter of civil law, it's going to be a matter of state law and will likely differ state to state. I haven't done a lot of homework here, but I think it would be difficult for a state to recognize a marriage performed by a "minister" ordained via an online ordination mill, while declining to recognize a marriage performed by a Mormon elder.

Reading through the laws many say Rabbis, Bishops, Priest, Ministers. I would assume they mean Priest as an equal status to Bishop, Minister, but wonder if the wording would allow an LDS Priest (over 18 of course) to do it.

Of course a lot tend to say authorized buy the rules and customs of the governing religious body. But not in Utah

30-1-6. Who may solemnize marriages -- Certificate. (1) Marriages may be solemnized by the following persons only: (a) ministers, rabbis, or priests of any religious denomination who are: (i) in regular communion with any religious society; and (ii) 18 years of age or older;

Guess it depends on how they define "regular communion" but Elder didn't make the list. It did in Alaska if ministers, rabbis, priest are not in the state.

Missionaries in general are recognized as authorized ministers for the LDS Church. I obtained, and still have, the card I recieved at the MTC stating such. The reason this card is important is that it allows the Elders and Sisters access to inmates in prisons seeking contact with the missionaries. While this is a desperately rare occurance, the other upshot of this card is that missionaries can perform marriages, but only as full-time missionaries.

Once the two years are up, the individual is no longer a full-time representative of the LDS Church.

At least, that's how it was back in '97....

Missionaries in general are recognized as authorized ministers for the LDS Church. I obtained, and still have, the card I recieved at the MTC stating such. The reason this card is important is that it allows the Elders and Sisters access to inmates in prisons seeking contact with the missionaries. While this is a desperately rare occurance, the other upshot of this card is that missionaries can perform marriages, but only as full-time missionaries.

Once the two years are up, the individual is no longer a full-time representative of the LDS Church.

Missionaries are no longer allowed to perform marriages and have not been allowed to for some time. According to the Church Handbook of Instructions, only stake presidents,

mission presidents, bishops, branch presidents or LDS military chaplains on active duty may perform these ceremonies, and only if local law permits them to do so. However, "Those who have been released from these offices may not perform marriages. Other Church officers are not authorized to perform civil marriages" (CHI, 83).

It likely varies from one place to another, but religious leaders often have to register with the state before the state will recognize their authority to perform marriages. For example, when my bishop was called two years ago, he had to send several forms to the state to notify the government that he was now the recognized leader of the congregation and authorized to represent the Church in marriage ceremonies.

Any member of the Church who has civil authority to perform marriages but does not hold the appropriate calling may still perform the marriage but may not represent the Church while doing so. For instance, he could not say the words, "By virtue of the legal authority vested in me as an elder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I pronounce you..." because the Church has not given him that authority.

Also, if a state did by default allow missionaries to perform marriages, an LDS missionary that did so would likely be asked to remove his name tag before performing such a ceremony so as to make it clear that he was not representing the Church. More than likely, his mission president would forbid him from doing it at all.

Missionaries used to have the authority to marry, but it was taken away, probably as a response to a couple of elders and sisters who abused the authority. Elder A married Elder B to Sister B, and then Elder B married Elder A to Sister A. Elder A then moved into the Sisters' apartment and Sister B moved into the Elders' apartment. I'm sure you can see why this was not okay. (please note...anecdotal story that I can't verify, but I have no doubt actually happened.)

My sister can perform marriages. She's a massage therapist. I think she just filled out a paper and paid 20 bucks. So, if that Elder does that... but it has nothing to do with him being an Elder.

My sister can perform marriages. She's a massage therapist. I think she just filled out a paper and paid 20 bucks. So, if that Elder does that... but it has nothing to do with him being an Elder.

Where is she located? If i renewed my vows think she would give a discount on a couple massage?:)

I am the person for our Ward who is legally authorised to certify civil marriages. Our Bishop has no legal authority here. Without me (or one of my legally designated assistants) present to legally authorise, witness and certify the marriage it would not matter who performed the ceremony it would not be valid. We can only certify a marriage which takes place within our designated authorised building.

Guest mysticmorini

I am the person for our Ward who is legally authorised to certify civil marriages. Our Bishop has no legal authority here. Without me (or one of my legally designated assistants) present to legally authorise, witness and certify the marriage it would not matter who performed the ceremony it would not be valid. We can only certify a marriage which takes place within our designated authorised building.

this brings up a good point. in many countries especially ones that aren't as pluralistic as the US marriage laws and who can preform them are vastly different.

Actually it's doubtful that a ship's captain really has the authority to perform marriages, though it did happen in The African Queen. (Catherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart, 1951. Excellent movie.)

Check out The Straight Dope: Are ships' captains allowed to marry people at sea?

Depends on the country as well. In Canada Full Time Missionaries can not perform marriages. The law in Nova Scotia for example states something like they have to be the head of a congregation to marry someone. And apply for a NS license to marry of course.

FYI I am basing this on what the Missionaries themselves have told me in the past, I never looked into the specific laws on it.