Do I have to have a feeling?

wbrisett

For many years I worried that I'd confuse my own feelings with the Spirit, that I'd "feel good" about the BoM, the Church, etc. merely because I wanted to, or it would be easier that way. Eventually, I gave up trying to "know" for sure, and settled for "I believe," because, well, I did believe. ;) Ironically, it was after that that I finally received a spiritual witness!

I do not think a "feeling" is necessarily sufficient. As human beings, it is all too easy for us to be misled by following appeals to our emotions. The Lord gives us a good answer to the dilemma in D&C 8:2, "Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart." In other words, if I'm going to accept something as true, it not only has to feel right to me, but it also needs to make sense. Elsewhere in the scriptures, the Lord says we should not just accept things on faith, but study them out. Not only is it ok to use your God-given reasoning abilities, but it's expected.

HEP

One of the interesting questions, and in fact mentioned in the introduction of the Book of Mormon (which is specifically mentioned from Moroni 10) is that you ask if the book is true, however nowhere is that question ever poised (at least that I can recall ever reading) in the Bible. So why is that question asked of one book, but not the other? I don't claim to know, but I do know both guide people's lives (including mine) daily and our world is a richer place because of it.

To what has already been written, I would add the following:

1) Thus far in its history, the LDS Church has primarily proselytized to people who already accept the Bible.

2) Mormons believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God, with no qualifications; whereas we recognize the Bible as we know it to constitute the word of God only to the extent that it is translated correctly. Under our worldview, the Bible may have been altered in some places to become doctrinally suspect; and thus one seeking a witness of "truth" will probably get a more powerful witness of the substantially unaltered* Book of Mormon than of the potentially doctored Bible.

*Except for the standard grammatical and editorial errors that throw some of our detractors into such conniptions, naturally!

The Bible says that to determine truth you must examine the scriptures. First we see 2 Timothy 3:16-17 say that "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness."

Then when we look at Acts 17:11 which says, "Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so." If the Bereans compared what Paul the apostle said to inspired scripture, should we do any less with The Book of Mormon? Of course not. You don't pray about truth you look into the Bible for it.

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Jer. 17:9

The Book of Mormon Verses Mormon Doctrine

The Book of Mormon does not contain Mormonism. It is more Christian than it is Mormon. Mormon theology is about many gods, god being a man, men and women potentially becoming gods, but the Book of Mormon is basically Christian in its teachings.

The following information is in the Book of Mormon. Compare it to Mormon doctrine and see the differences. It is obvious that Mormonism grew and was pasted together as it developed. It is not internally consistent and it is self-contradictory.

BOOK OF MORMON

There is only one God*

The Trinity is one God

God is unchanging

God is spirit

Eternal hell

Polygamy condemned

MORMON DOCTRINE

Mormonism teaches there are many gods.*

The Trinity is three separate gods.

God is increasing in knowledge.*

God has the form of a man.*

Hell is not eternal.

Polygamy was taught and practiced.

You know the one thing that really amazes me about Mormon bashers? How much time you guys have! I really wish that I had the time and the energy to try to prove other people wrong. Do you really have nothing better to do than sit around and worry about other peoples religion?

Anyway, when I first started investigating the Church I would read the information the Missionaries left me but I was more interested in learning about the Church than feeling the spirit. When I would read the BOM I felt like it made sense and whatever but I was not willing to let the spirit in. When I finally decided that I wanted to know for myself if Church was true I just prayed. I offered a simple prayer and just felt peaceful and like I was doing the right thing (This took more than once).The time I felt the spirit the strongest is when my husbands grandmother was sealed to her parents. I felt so overjoyed yet so peaceful at the same time. It was a amazing feeling!

2) Mormons believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God, with no qualifications; whereas we recognize the Bible as we know it to constitute the word of God only to the extent that it is translated correctly. Under our worldview, the Bible may have been altered in some places to become doctrinally suspect; and thus one seeking a witness of "truth" will probably get a more powerful witness of the substantially unaltered* Book of Mormon than of the potentially doctored Bible.

*Except for the standard grammatical and editorial errors that throw some of our detractors into such conniptions, naturally!

Should check out Snows thread about this very topic.

You know the one thing that really amazes me about Mormon bashers? How much time you guys have! I really wish that I had the time and the energy to try to prove other people wrong. Do you really have nothing better to do than sit around and worry about other peoples religion?

What is wrong with looking at discrepancies? I think you should probably worry more about other peoples religions, but just slightly.. a little effort perhaps. I mean.. if you don't.. how can you be sure? Feelings can't count obviously.. because every religion claims to "feel" it also. Try doing some homework and maybe it won't bug you so much :)

Edited by bmy-

For example, this morning I got up at 3 AM (my normal rising time) and spent nearly two hours reading both the Bible and the Book of Mormon. I felt no different when I read either.

Neither do I, because both are books of scripture and both invite the Holy Spirit.

My wife and I were called to teach Sunday school and I find myself enjoying studying for the lesson plans each week. However, I don't enjoy having to share that with 12 year olds who would rather not be there, but that's another story. ;)

I know that feeling! Sometimes I think we are called to teach 12 year olds so that we can learn something not necessarily so that they do. :D

What is wrong with looking at discrepancies? I think you should probably worry more about other peoples religions, but just slightly.. a little effort perhaps. I mean.. if you don't.. how can you be sure? Feelings can't count obviously.. because every religion claims to "feel" it also. Try doing some homework and maybe it won't bug you so much :)

The witness of the Spirit surpasses all understanding. Unless and until you receive a witness of the Spirit everything you study and ponder is just information, no matter how logical it seems. You cannot come to know the truth about God by science.

Many think I am putting science down. Many think I'm trying to encourage people not to study science. That's not what I'm trying to do or say.

What I'm trying to say is that no matter how much time and effort we put into studying the Gospel, and no matter where we get our information (science or otherwise), we need the confirmation of the Spirit to be sure.

So, as you study and learn, you must ponder and pray. Don't rely on yourself to be able to determine what is true out of the myriads of different opinions that are out there, even after spending years and years studying them.

What I'm saying is that just because it was discovered by scientific means doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

We can all think of things scientists "deduced" in the past, based on evidence, that turned out to be wrong.

Maybe a better way to look at it is that often, science can help us learn what is not right.

There's a catch... it doesn't say when. So when nothing happens.. people can simply say "well you obviously didn't wait long enough". I felt absolutely nothing, I left it to chance. Unfortunately.. that leads to doubt down the road sometimes.

Healthy doubt though.

I agree sometimes the when can be instantly, and sometimes it may take a lifetime. Never give up searching whatever happens tho.

What many people tend to miss is that this "feeling" we are encouraged to look for is much more than an emotional affirmation. The Lord said that he would tell us in our MINDS AND in our HEARTS if it be true. This, to me, suggests that we must put forth ALL our faculties in determining what is truth. We must feel this on an intellectual, emotional, and spiritual level.

Science, study, interrogation, experimentation, etc all appeal to our logical faculties. These are good things, but all on their own cannot tell us much.

Our emotions are more closely tied with our spiritual half. Both of these give us a strong sense of morality, right and wrong, what we are comfortable with, what we like and don't like, and what rings true. Using strictly emotions however, like using strictly logic will not get us very far.

We need to balance both in how we approach discovering truths. Then, when we feel we have found the truth the Lord can confirm our efforts. When we pray, we pray to know with a surety whether our study has lead us to the right answer. Sometimes His answer is very obvious and powerful, other times it is not. But one thing will always be the same in how he answers prayers-

He will tell you in your mind AND in your heart.

If you are on the right track, you will feel comfortable, you will feel right, you will know because both your heart and mind are in accordance with the direction you are taking.

If you are on the wrong track, you will have "a stupor of thought". You will be confused, you won't be sure about your choice, and there will be disagreement within you.

If you are on the right track, you will feel comfortable, you will feel right, you will know because both your heart and mind are in accordance with the direction you are taking.

If you are on the wrong track, you will have "a stupor of thought". You will be confused, you won't be sure about your choice, and there will be disagreement within you.

I think this nails it for me as well. If there was a red flag I would have had that AH, HA moment, and I haven't. And as I mentioned in another thread somebody else started, reading the BoM has helped my personal relationship with God and Jesus. If it was wrong, I simply would have a hard time realizing that. Both in the physical sense and emotional sense. But, I have yet to have that burning feeling that I think the missionaries were expecting from me.

Wayne

Moroni 7 came to mind instantly when I read your comment, wbrisett.

Moroni 7:

16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

You said the Book of Mormon has strengthened your relationship with Christ. according to Moroni, that might be the witness you're looking for, and just overlooked it. I know for me, sometimes things that are the most obvious are the hardest to see.

A very dear friend of mine who I've known for a long time is a member of the Church and I have studied the LDS church beliefs for some time myself. Part of my commitment this year is to make it all the way through the Book of Mormon (so far this year, I'm doing pretty well). Both my wife and I teach sunday school at our church and it's doubtful that we'll ever become members, but I'm always one for learning and studying scriptures.

We've had the missionaries over a few times and this past week when they stopped by, they asked me how I felt when I read the Book of Mormon. I mentioned that I didn't "feel" anything. That shocked them a bit and they asked if I felt more peaceful when I read it. I mentioned that I've been reading/studying very early in the morning before anybody else in the house was up, so it's always peaceful to me. It's one of the few times that I get to have "me" time with everything being quiet and peaceful.

This isn't the first time that somebody has asked me how I "felt" when reading scriptures (of any religion). But I've never understood that question. Anybody here want to chime in and explain why that's important?

Wayne

For most, the conversion is done by the Holy Ghost through feelings. For others, it comes by hearing the voice of GOD but still have that same Spirit called the Holy Ghost; a confirmation of what is being told is confirmed by feelings. Feelings of love cannot be duplicated by any of the devils.

You will over time become acquainted with those special feelings that are given by the Holy Ghost versus what is given by the devils.

The following information is in the Book of Mormon. Compare it to Mormon doctrine and see the differences. It is obvious that Mormonism grew and was pasted together as it developed. It is not internally consistent and it is self-contradictory.

BOOK OF MORMON

There is only one God*

The Trinity is one God

God is unchanging

God is spirit

Eternal hell

Polygamy condemned

MORMON DOCTRINE

Mormonism teaches there are many gods.*

The Trinity is three separate gods.

God is increasing in knowledge.*

God has the form of a man.*

Hell is not eternal.

Polygamy was taught and practiced.

A user on utube sent me this exact same garbage as well as a lot of other nonsensical stuff trying to convert me over to the dark side. I looked up the first 2 and could see right away that it was simply takin out of context, so instead of showing him via texting which would have takin a lot of time (i'm a 1 finger typer :) I asked him to voice chat with me on whatever. He said sure and continued saying I was in for a big eye opening surprise. Couple days later he stopped texting me.:(