I am really confused about this...

And you probabably never will understand it completely on this side of the grave. God does not fit into mankinds neat little boxes.

But let me try: President Monson, President Eyring and President Uchdorf are all Presidents, correct? 3 seperate individuals all correctly called President

Are there then 3 Presidencies? no, there is one Presidency with 3 members.

Similiar thing with God

Okay so it says we are only to worship one God. Yet Jesus and God are 2 different beings. If we are supposed to worship jesus and worship God isn't that like worshipping 2 Gods? I'm really confused about how this stuff works. I do not understand it.

Well, technically, the wording of the Old Testament could be better translated. The word often used is Eloheim. Eolheim is the plural word for God, so Eloheim = Gods.

But they are "one eternal God without end." How does this work? When Jesus Christ prayed to the Father, he asked that his disciples could become one just as he and the Father are one. One in purpose. Completely united. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost completely united in their purpose of bringing to pass "the immortality and eternal life of man."

We pray to the Father. We receive forgiveness of our sins through the sacrifice of the Son. We receive answers to our prayers through the Holy Spirit. All three always act together. But we pray to the Father because he is the Highest and Christ himself set the example to do this.

Okay so it says we are only to worship one God. Yet Jesus and God are 2 different beings. If we are supposed to worship jesus and worship God isn't that like worshipping 2 Gods? I'm really confused about how this stuff works. I do not understand it.

Who do you pray to? If you pray to God you are worshipping God, if you pray to CHrist you are Worshipping Christ.

While praise may be part of worship, praise does not = worship. We praise and respect christ and other holy men quite often, altho Christ more so, and God most of all.

Oh so we are not nessicarily worshipping Christ just worshipping God in his name?

yes

when we close by "in the name of Christ" it's like saying that we are grateful to be brought to and represented to God by Jesus christ so we can give him (God) our prayer.

Oh that makes sense.

So we do not worship jesus. we worship only God but we worship God in the name of jesus? This is making more sense now.

Yes, and we do so because that is what Christ said to do.

Does Christ deserve to be wroshipped? yes he does, and I really don't think a person will be punished for doing so, but he's commanded us to pray to the Father instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus IS God. But he is not God the Father. The Greek tells us that the Word was God and was with THE God. Two separate beings.

And that is what Bible scholars are coming to acknowledge. Ancient Jews were not into monotheism, but into monolatry (a belief in many Gods, but only focused/worshiping one). Margaret Barker, OT scholar and Methodist preacher, explains in her book, "The Great Angel, Israel's Second God" that Jesus was Jehovah, the second God in the Old Testament and Angel of the Presence of El. They believed in two Gods over Israel, Jehovah being subordinate to Elohim. And early Christians also understood this, as they directly tied Jesus to Jehovah of the Old Testament.

Being a God is not an absolute thing. Rather it is a measure along a line of divine power. In my thread on Isaac Newton, we can read where Newton also understood this.

God the Father is the absolute God. Yet he gives divine power to some under him, making them subordinate Gods. This is why Jesus can say that God is greater than he (Jesus) is, and tell a man that there is no good/perfect one except the Father. Jesus can be God and be subordinate to the Father, who has given Jesus his divine power, authority and calling as a second God.

This also explains why God gives such power to many others. Ancient texts show Adam, Enoch, Abraham and others being made into subordinate gods. In 3 Enoch, he is taken up to heaven where he is clothed in holy white garments. He is given a heavenly new name, Metatron. Then Enoch is placed upon God's throne, where the angels surrounding the throne worship him.

We see in the Book of Revelation where an angel steps in for Jesus in showing John everything. Yet, we know it isn't Jesus himself, because when John tries to worship him, he is told not to (Rev 19:10). And in John, we read where we can sit on God's throne and rule with him (Rev 3).

God can empower whomever he wishes to also be gods. Yet these are subordinate to Him, and worship Him as the absolute God, even El Elyon (God Almighty).

Could someone explain to me how John 1:1 can be true if Jesus is not God? I have looked at the Greek, and it seems pretty clear to me that Jesus is God.

I believe in God the Father, God the Son Jesus Christ, God the Holy Ghost. These three beings constitute "one eternal God" without end, or in other words, they are the Godhead.

So please clarify your question for me. Are you saying that your reading of John 1:1 leads you to believe that Jesus Christ and God the Father the same person? Or am I to understand your question to mean something different?

Edited by Faded