"Utah Mormons"

Landy77

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Generalization. Southeast Idaho does feel that way somewhat because of the influence of the church in that area, but Central and Northern Idaho have completely different religious and cultural breakdowns. For example, People from Southeastern Idaho have virtually no connections, both culturally and physically, with the White Supremacist strongholds in North Idaho, yet they get linked by virtue of the state name.

". . .White Supremacist strongholds in North Idaho. . ."

Another unfortunate stereotype:mellow:

I grew up in Illinois, raised in an active LDS home. When I went out to BYU - Idaho I actually went through culture shock. This was because when you have a high concentration of any religion you often see a larger population of the whole belief spectrum. This means that you will see a large concentration of "Super Mormons" those people who try to do everything and often end up telling everyone else how they should live as well. You will also see a high concentration of "Jack Mormons" or people who are Mormon only in name. They sometimes attend church, but they often don't live the gospel. And you will also see a higher concentration of all people in between these two extremes. And this is all because you have a higher concentration of people of the LDS religion out there.

After getting married I lived in Utah for 6 years. While there I saw that the people there are just like they are in every other ward, there is just more of them. This can mean that you might see shocking things come into the open sooner than you would in a smaller ward. However, just because there are more members out there doesn't mean they aren't good people, it just means that you will see more sides of the spectrum than you would elsewhere.

well, the utah mormons that come to texas because of employment act like we have cooties and aren't good enough. i tend to hang out with the texas converts because if we slip and cuss nobody faints.

edit; and the women all have the same weird hair cut. pooffy on the top and supershort in the back. with weird highlights.

Now now, perhaps the Utah women were just being prideful as their hair was bigger. Especially after always being told everything is bigger in Texas. They were just able to show you that just isn't true.

I moved to Gilbert, Arizona almost 2 years ago and there are A LOT of Utah Mormon's here. It seems like everyone either is from there or have immediate family that lives there... ow and yes they take the drive up to Utah to go hunting. I don't see anything different about them compared to me or someone who wasn't from there. It also depends on the person themselves. There are people who would like to go to church on Sunday and be completely left alone the rest of the week.

Living here I'm sure it's close to what it would be like in Utah but then again I don't know since I've never been to Utah. If you want to be LDS and left alone Gilbert and Mesa may not be the towns you want to live in;). One Sunday I didn't make it to church and what do you know a few people show up later that day concerned wanting to check on me. I thought it was very nice, but yes if you want to be left alone that would get old. At least 3 times a week someone from church is stopping over for a chat, calling me, checking on me, or giving me something. I have one LDS neighbor directly across the street who has seen and knows way to much of the goings on at my house (police, ex-husband, etc... lots of drama a few months ago).

So I think it really depends on the person. Not everyone needs or wants to be that active in their community/church. I can understand that. For me I enjoy it a great deal. Going from living in a town with little LDS at all to a town that is packed street by street with LDS it's been a terrific experience. .

That is how it was for me in the little town in Oregon- the few Utah Mormons who showed up in the summer were not nearly as friendly as the local Oregonian Mormons.

Here in Pinal County AZ the husband and I had been in the ward barely 3 months when he ended up in the hospital at deaths door. I called the bishop, both of his councilors, the patriarch and guess who shows up? Two recently baptized men who hadn't even been given the Aaronic priesthood yet. They were visiting a neighbor and saw me in the ER.

12 hours later the Bishop finally arrives- husband was just admitted to the hospital and I was just sedated by his admitting physician. Unfortunately I told the Bishop to come back with his councilors so they could bless my husband and then go take a XXXXing hike. Then I conked out on the little sofa like seat in husbands room. Husband was in the hospital for a month- and I never saw any of the RS Sisters, or even any of the brethren. I was visiting husband one evening when a Baptist minister was making his rounds visiting the sick, he came in and asked if I would like him to sit and pray with me. I started crying and told him that YES please pray with me.

We have a different bishopbric- different meetinghouse- but the attitude is the same- we are not direct mormon pioneer stock- thus we aren't worth knowing.

I want to go home to Oregon so bad. Back to where the members of the Church are truly Christ like. Where even if you are in camp fire smoke smelling jeans, sweatshirt and muddy hiking boots they welcome you with open arms on Sunday morning, and it is pretty much guarenteed that some one will invite them to a meal after the blocks and also offer them use of the shower and laundry if needed.

- - -s i g h - - - end of rant.

That is how it was for me in the little town in Oregon- the few Utah Mormons who showed up in the summer were not nearly as friendly as the local Oregonian Mormons.

Here in Pinal County AZ the husband and I had been in the ward barely 3 months when he ended up in the hospital at deaths door. I called the bishop, both of his councilors, the patriarch and guess who shows up? Two recently baptized men who hadn't even been given the Aaronic priesthood yet. They were visiting a neighbor and saw me in the ER.

12 hours later the Bishop finally arrives- husband was just admitted to the hospital and I was just sedated by his admitting physician. Unfortunately I told the Bishop to come back with his councilors so they could bless my husband and then go take a XXXXing hike. Then I conked out on the little sofa like seat in husbands room. Husband was in the hospital for a month- and I never saw any of the RS Sisters, or even any of the brethren. I was visiting husband one evening when a Baptist minister was making his rounds visiting the sick, he came in and asked if I would like him to sit and pray with me. I started crying and told him that YES please pray with me.

We have a different bishopbric- different meetinghouse- but the attitude is the same- we are not direct mormon pioneer stock- thus we aren't worth knowing.

I want to go home to Oregon so bad. Back to where the members of the Church are truly Christ like. Where even if you are in camp fire smoke smelling jeans, sweatshirt and muddy hiking boots they welcome you with open arms on Sunday morning, and it is pretty much guarenteed that some one will invite them to a meal after the blocks and also offer them use of the shower and laundry if needed.

- - -s i g h - - - end of rant.

I really do understand what you are talking about here:cool:

Unfortunately we do have a big share of this situation in the South West.

I moved to Utah a couple years ago for school and the culture here is definitely different. Even some of the fashion and and home-decorating is unique and fits a certain "look" that you kind of only see around here. And I've never met so many girls that worship Disney!

I don't think being a "Utah Mormon" is necessarily bad or worthy of criticism, though. A lot of it is just a stereotype that, like all stereotypes, not everyone fits.

Edited by annamaureen

12 hours later the Bishop finally arrives- husband was just admitted to the hospital and I was just sedated by his admitting physician. Unfortunately I told the Bishop to come back with his councilors so they could bless my husband and then go take a XXXXing hike. Then I conked out on the little sofa like seat in husbands room. Husband was in the hospital for a month- and I never saw any of the RS Sisters, or even any of the brethren.

You cursed at (or at least berated harshly) the Bishop and told him not to come back beyond a blessing? Personally I'm seeing a simpler theory why nobody else showed up (rightly or wrongly) that has nothing to do with your stock.

Not saying there aren't other issues that may have caused you to reach that conclusion, but you example isn't the most compelling, at least not as presented. For the record I grew up in Alaska, and if somebody told me to leave and not come back I'd do just that, did it all the time on my mission, nor would I immediately sick someone else on them. And if you were new to the ward then you were probably not particularly well known, so if the Bishop felt you wanted left alone and wasn't telling people to go see you contrary to that (and possibly telling Priesthood and Relief Society leaders not to in consequence of your stated wishes) and you didn't have a lot of people in the ward who would wonder where Iggy and Hubby was then it isn't overly surprising that nobody might show up.

In an ideal world would everyone know if any one member stopped showing up? Sure, but I know for my part there are several dozen people who could not show up to church (not all at once obviously) and I wouldn't notice and I have no clue about their stock. *shrug*

Edited by Dravin