Rock concerts

bl8tant

\m/ oOo \m/

(that's me throwing up metal horns if you can't tell)

I like live music, and I particularly like live classic rock. My sons are ages 15, 12, and 9. I'm debating whether to take them to some concerts this summer. My oldest saw Rush with me two years ago, but the other two have never been to a live concert.

There are four acts touring that I'm considering taking them to this summer:

- Rush. This is pretty much a definite. Great band, businesslike presentation (by which I mean they play music on stage, not do anything that I wouldn't want my kids to see)

- ZZ Top. I'm a little iffy on this. The last time I saw them in concert, they were perfectly well-behaved (e.g. no on-stage drinking, cussing, or general misbehavior), but I'm a little iffy on what the audiences here in California might be like

- TobyMac: total definite. We all love him and his music, and he's a solid Christian entertainer. It's OK with me for my kids to see people who love the Lord but have tattoos, piercings, et al. In fact, it's probably really helpful.

- Willie Nelson: um, no. I probably won't even go because of the impenetrable haze of ganja smoke I expect to be there.

Do you take your kids to concerts? If so, how do you choose which ones? If not, why not?

Do you let your kids attend concerts?

\m/ oOo \m/

Cool horns but why 3 eyes?

I like live music, and I particularly like live classic rock. My sons are ages 15, 12, and 9. I'm debating whether to take them to some concerts this summer. My oldest saw Rush with me two years ago, but the other two have never been to a live concert.

- Rush. This is pretty much a definite. Great band, businesslike presentation (by which I mean they play music on stage, not do anything that I wouldn't want my kids to see)

I believe that is child abuse in some states;) Think rush is overrated.

- ZZ Top. I'm a little iffy on this. The last time I saw them in concert, they were perfectly well-behaved (e.g. no on-stage drinking, cussing, or general misbehavior), but I'm a little iffy on what the audiences here in California might be like

Better Choice. I have found the concert crowd is the concert crowd (unless you hit a teeny bopper act i would imagine) and have seen misbehavior at everything from Slipknot and Black Sabbath, to Verve Pipe and Reverend Horton Heat.

It vary a bit based on the band but not much in my experience.

- TobyMac: total definite. We all love him and his music, and he's a solid Christian entertainer. It's OK with me for my kids to see people who love the Lord but have tattoos, piercings, et al. In fact, it's probably really helpful.

I like you. Personally i find christian rock to be cheesy but have a few friend who do it for that very reason (and they like to play). I think it is important to realize being a Christian isn't dependent on how you look.

- Willie Nelson: um, no. I probably won't even go because of the impenetrable haze of ganja smoke I expect to be there.

Depending on where you go i have found most indoor venue are more controlled.

Do you take your kids to concerts? If so, how do you choose which ones? If not, why not?

Not yet they're too young but i would and will when they get older.

:rockonsign::rockon::coolrockon:

Edited by hordak

Guest mormonmusic

\m/ oOo \m/

My kids are pre-teenager, and I take them to concerts that have appropriate music and lyrics. This is one way to stimulate their desire to learn to play musical instruments.

I encourage it as much as fund and time allows. They love them. I also perform regularly and I like my kids to be in attendance when the venue is suitable. They go occasionally.

And, I have one of my children as a performer in an amateur band composed of my music students, and we perform free concerts in low-key places like people's homes and at recitals. The more music performance the better, provided the environment is clean and consistent with our values.

\m/ oOo \m/

I listen to a wide range of genres but never attend any concerts. Nor do allow any of my children not of age [18-years old] to attend any rock concert.

Edited by Hemidakota

Guest xforeverxmetalx

It depends on if they like the bands themselves, honestly. Just ask them if they'd like to go.

My parents never took me to anything, they've never even been to concerts themselves. I started going myself when I was 16 or so, my parents let me go as long as they only had to drive one way and I had to be back by midnight if it was a school night. But when I started driving, they let me go to whatever I could afford myself. I'm even going to a friend's band's show tonight.

Rush is good to see, but only if they sing "take off to the great white north".

IMV, you have to determine your kid's maturity level. It may be better to just get a large screen hi-def television, monster speakers, a DVD of your favorites in concert, and then let the kids invite their friends over for an occasional concert at the house where they can drink root beer and eat chips in a safe environment that you can pre-screen.

I've taken my kids to several concerts. Mainly Styx concerts since that's my favorite all time band. But they've been to REO Speedwagon, Journey, 38 Special and a few others. I stick with the bands I personally would listen to.

Do they take me to theirs? Nope..nor would I want to go. :)

But my kids have grown up listening to classic rock bands and at least have some appreciation of it which I'm glad.

There are definitely bands I wouldn't take them to see: some because I hate 'em, some because I don't want my kids exposed to particular antics of band or audience members. For example, as much as I loved Van Halen's live shows back in the day, I wouldn't want my kids to see either Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth in full-on performance mode.

It's funny. I don't really like listening to recordings of concerts. They're OK, I guess, but there's something about the live performance, and the reaction to it by the crowd, that really makes a difference. Plus, there's the social aspect of going with friends or family members-- a big part of the reason that I want to take my boys to see some shows as a memory-building event.

\m/ oOo \m/

I have seen RUSH 13 times and have been a fan( hence the name Bytor2112) since I was 14. (45 now:eek:). I took my two sons.....also RUSH fans to a show in Orlando a couple of years ago. Lot's of families with kids there. I saw them in New Orleans a few days later........VERY glad I didn't take my kids to that one. The people were...um....partying pretty hard.

Take them to see the Jonas brothers, then they can appreciate a real concert.

I don't think her teenage sons would enjoy a concert with the Jonas brothers;). I followed my young cousin to their summer tour last year and 95% of the crowd where very young girls.

Besides I think the show was lame ;)

I have seen RUSH 13 times and have been a fan( hence the name Bytor2112) since I was 14. (45 now:eek:). I took my two sons.....also RUSH fans to a show in Orlando a couple of years ago. Lot's of families with kids there. I saw them in New Orleans a few days later........VERY glad I didn't take my kids to that one. The people were...um....partying pretty hard.

So I probably shouldn't tell you that until this thread, I've never heard of Rush?

I don't think her teenage sons would enjoy a concert with the Jonas brothers;). I followed my young cousin to their summer tour last year and 95% of the crowd where very young girls.

Besides I think the show was lame ;)

The point was that no one would enjoy a Jonas Brothers concert. After going to one, you'd appreciate any other concert you went to.

\m/ oOo \m/

I don't have kids yet..

I like to attend concerts like trans siberian orchestra... quite a few of the rock groups I like and would be willing to go see in concert are old farts now and aren't the same anymore or are not together anymore.

Lol Pam.

I'm not really familiar with many rock stars or rock bands. They're not all the same are they? :P But no, seriously, they're not right? Some are more, what would you call it, hard core than others? What's the difference between "hard rock" and "heavy metal"? Or are those completely different genres? LOL I admit, I'm more of a classical and hip-hop nut.

I don't have kids yet..

I like to attend concerts like trans siberian orchestra... quite a few of the rock groups I like and would be willing to go see in concert are old farts now and aren't the same anymore or are not together anymore.

I've always wanted to see TSO, but every time they've come near where I live, their concert has been on a Sunday. I hate it when they do that.

Lol Pam.

I'm not really familiar with many rock stars or rock bands. They're not all the same are they? :P But no, seriously, they're not right? Some are more, what would you call it, hard core than others? What's the difference between "hard rock" and "heavy metal"? Or are those completely different genres? LOL I admit, I'm more of a classical and hip-hop nut.

Fair question (and nice new avatar pic btw). There are lots of different genres of rock, ranging from folk rock (Willie Nelson, sort of, or maybe Emmylou Harris) through various types of metal, glam rock, and so on. Just like with hip-hop, some tend to be more uplifting or family-friendly than others. For example, I'd take my kids to see Run-DMC (or Rev Run, or DMC) in a heartbeat, but Jay-Z? Nope, not gonna happen. On the rock side, though, most of the bands I wouldn't take my kids to are also bands I don't listen to, so that makes it easier.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

The sound basically. Hard rock is generally not as heavy as metal, but besides that, hard rock refers to a specific kind of rock, like AC/DC. Metal is its own genre and thus has its own collection of subgenres that are extremely diverse. But there are several similarities between what we call "traditional" metal and hard rock, so the line between those two isn't always distinguished. Other kinds of metal, however, are completely different.

Ah okay, I get it now :] Hmm. Maybe going to a rock concert should be on my "bucket list"? But WHO to see? As pointed out throughout the thread, there's a lot of "rock" artists out there..

Back to original topic. Hubby has told me a few wild concert stories and I'm not sure that I'd want to expose children to that sort of environment. Then again, I'm not sure if you'd be able to attend if you were under 18, possibly even 21? But yes, I'd agree with those who have said that it depends on the artist/band. I'd imagine if you got a crazy on stage, you're going to get crazy crowds.

I was a huge Rush fan until Roll the Bones, then I haven't followed them after that. Still love rocking to the old tunes though.

My sons went to Collective Soul concert when one was only 3 and the other 5 years old. They had a blast! They wanted to go to Linkin Park one but Linkin Park is a cuss-out-loud group so we said no. They love going to concerts - we have yearly ones around here with the Jazz Festival - but not sure if that counts as rock. The last time, they had Faith Hill and Survivor and Flock of Seagulls.

One of the things the cub scouts can do to earn the music pin is to go see a concert.

Hmmm, I saw them last at the 1976 Texas Worldwide Tour in Salt Lake on Sept 20th of that year.

On stage they had a live buffalo, longhorn steer. 2 vultures and rattlesnakes.