Contemporary worship music vs. Traditional worship music in the LDS church?

cassious

Ok, I was thinking, you can find a lot of contemporary general Christian bands out there, with music that fits the styles of today (Example:

) yet you never see any Mormon type groups like this. Mormon music only comes in the form of traditional hymns. Anyone know why?

I, personally, find Mormon hymns a little boring to listen to after a while (don't get me wrong though, there are many particular hymns I enjoy) and I'm surprised more contemporary type music hasn't been made.

Any other thoughts related to this topic would be appreciated :D!!

Was this what you're hoping for?

Just teasing of course!

Our worship services are geared towards the individual seeking the spirit... rather than any kind of "entertainment" value in music. The church handbook even limits the kinds of instruments that can be used for worship services - no guitars, brass instruments or percussion. (Yes, I know that a piano is percussion!)

Now, for your own music library, there are MANY other kinds of artists out there.

http://www.ldsaudio.com/shop/music.aspx?type=artist&id=9

Check out some EFY audios too. You'll find PLENTY of good LDS music that aren't hymns.

I know there are some good LDS musicians that put out some modern songs. However they are often not well known because you don't hear them on the radio. For whatever reason Christian Rock stations don't tend to play Mormon artists so they don't gain as much publicity as other Christian artists. Also many Christian artists are worship leaders, and they write many of their songs for the purpose of using them during their worship services. As Skippy mentioned our worship services are more for feeling the Spirit and less for entertainment value. Because of that we don't have large buildings that are set up for a rock band and concerts. And as a result our musical artists are not as well known as other Christian artists.

My advice would be to check out Deseret Books, or some of the other LDS bookstores and check out their music section. If you see some artists who look interesting then see if you can find them on iTunes so you can preview their music and if you like it then buy it.

Ok, I was thinking, you can find a lot of contemporary general Christian bands out there, with music that fits the styles of today (Example:

) yet you never see any Mormon type groups like this. Mormon music only comes in the form of traditional hymns. Anyone know why?

I, personally, find Mormon hymns a little boring to listen to after a while (don't get me wrong though, there are many particular hymns I enjoy) and I'm surprised more contemporary type music hasn't been made.

Jericho Road

Mercy River

Those are two bands/groups that come to mind right away. There are a number of popular LDS artists out there that aren't groups. LDS music does still tend to be more worshipful than mainstream contemporary Christian music, but it's not all hymns and MoTab.

Outside of Sacrament music, I listen to all genre music. What you need to ask yourself Cassious, “does this uplift my soul and give me joy?” Believe or not, there was one love ballad by the band called Kiss, which reverberates to what I am saying. But, it was just one great song. Our selection of music actually defines us in who [inspiring music = worthy thoughts] we are…

President Boyd K. Packard (Ensign Jan 1974) stated the following to back up my statement:

“Through music, man’s ability to express himself extends beyond the limits of the spoken language in both subtlety and power. Music can be used to exalt and inspire or to carry messages of degradation and destruction. It is therefore important that as Latter-day Saints we at all times apply the principles of the gospel and seek the guidance of the Spirit in selecting the music with which we surround ourselves.” LDS.org - Ensign Article - Inspiring Music—Worthy Thoughts

Edited by Hemidakota

occasionally there has been a special number not found in the hymn book that has been performed by members as part of the worship meeting. But as far as hymn during a sacrament meeting the church is very conservative on.

Probably because a lot of the older hymns have been copyrighted by varoius sects... and a lot of the more modern ones tend to have beats and rhythms that are viewed to be not as conducive to the spirit.

I imagine when the leadership feels inspired to add more hymns to the hymnbook we'll get more (which would be real nifty).

I imagine when the leadership feels inspired to add more hymns to the hymnbook we'll get more (which would be real nifty).

I would love to see them add "Come Thou Fount" back into the hymn book. I have a copy of the old brown hymnal and it has "Come Thou Fount" in it and I love it!!

Try also Kenneth Cope (a little boring, but a quintessential LDS artist), Jenny Frogley, Hilary Swank, Michael McLean, Greg Simpson, Mindy Gledhill, Jenny Oaks Baker, and Dallyn Vail Bayles. There are also some non-LDS Christian artists that I enjoy and have sometimes seen sold at LDS bookstores as well: Jars of Clay, Third Day, MercyMe, Casting Crowns, and Point of Grace.

Here you can listen to a large selection of Sunday appropriate music, and see the various artists and songs played. I beleive that most played are LDS. Click on the "Click Here to Listen" link towards the bottom of the page to listen to Soft Sunday Sounds rather than the "listen live" at the top of the page, which would take you to the weekday programming. Edited by ryanh

You must be a recent convert if...

After a special musical number at sacrament meeting, you find yourself the only one clapping.

:D

(Been there, done that)

We had a missionary sing a beautiful song in Sacrament meeting one day. A guy he had recently baptized stood up to give him a standing ovation! Luckily, the person sitting next to him nabbed him before he actually started clapping, lol.

As for LDS artists, I like Jenny Phillips.

• 3 years later...

I know there are some good LDS musicians that put out some modern songs. However they are often not well known because you don't hear them on the radio. For whatever reason Christian Rock stations don't tend to play Mormon artists so they don't gain as much publicity as other Christian artists. Also many Christian artists are worship leaders, and they write many of their songs for the purpose of using them during their worship services. As Skippy mentioned our worship services are more for feeling the Spirit and less for entertainment value. Because of that we don't have large buildings that are set up for a rock band and concerts. And as a result our musical artists are not as well known as other Christian artists.

My advice would be to check out Deseret Books, or some of the other LDS bookstores and check out their music section. If you see some artists who look interesting then see if you can find them on iTunes so you can preview their music and if you like it then buy it.

I'm here to tell you there are LDS musicians creating modern music, but it is tough to market and publicize the music. Deseret Books seems to favor "traditional", "mainstream" LDS music, but won't stock music that has any "risk" or "edge", even if the "edge" is only in an instrumental style. I have not found a good source of LDS modern music, but I'm looking. I released a Christmas album in a modern electronica style. Check it out if you are interested: milocraft | Mega-Delight In A Sonic Form Factor..