So I'm watching Beck talk about different Christmas gifts and he mentions coffee and if any of his relatives were watching, please send him this particular coffee. I waited to see if he's say it was Postum or something, but he didn't. He said 'coffee' a number of times.

With a public figures such as Beck, is his bishop likely to pull him aside and ask him wassup?:o

This is bizarre. Beck promoted a particular gourmet coffee on his show awhile back...all the conservative hosts seemed to be advertizing it...but in the commercial he actually mentions that he doesn't drink the stuff--but if he did, this brand would be his choice. It seemed awkward to me, but I had the impression he was serious about his WoW commitment.

With a public figures such as Beck, is his bishop likely to pull him aside and ask him wassup?:o

That kinda assumes his Bishop watches his show. And as far as I know purchasing coffee (or receiving it as a gift) is not against the Word of Wisdom. Did he say he drank it?

Mormons make the commitment to give up coffee - thats not a general commandment for everyone everywhere. I don't have a problem with Becks show advertising coffee. I would have a problem if he was drinking it on air knowing he was LDS.

I don't watch him anyway.

Guest Godless

This is bizarre. Beck promoted a particular gourmet coffee on his show awhile back...all the conservative hosts seemed to be advertizing it...but in the commercial he actually mentions that he doesn't drink the stuff--but if he did, this brand would be his choice. It seemed awkward to me, but I had the impression he was serious about his WoW commitment.

Is this some sort of attempt to become the next "Most Interesting Man in the World"?

This has nothing to do with whether you like Beck or not. The primary issue is, if a known Mormon says in a public venue that s/he likes a certain brand of coffee and says (as close to a quote as I can remember), 'if any of my relatives are watching, this is what you can get for me,' and it becomes known, would that person's bishop call him in for a talk?

Let's remove Beck from the example. We have a little college town paper that often features regular people doing regular stuff. If my bishop saw a picture of me drinking a mocha whatever at Starbucks, and I said, "Boy, I sure love this mocha whatever," so there was no misunderstanding as to what I was drinking, would I get called in?

I'd hope my Bishop would have much more important things to think about than if I had some coffee one day. Yes, it's a Word of Wisdom violation... and if I was "hooked" and unwilling to abstain, I might have a problem getting a temple recommend renewed.

We Mormons have a lot of rules. I just wish we'd try to find more people doing good, instead of trying to catch them not following "the rules".

As far as Beck is concerned, I watch him rather regularly now. I don't know all the applications for using coffee. I know it can smell really good. Can it be useful in a garden to enhance the soil? Regardless, I guess it's okay to have a favorite (especially if a sponsor is paying you)?

I remember there was a little issue with Kirby Heybourne (star of a few LDS movies) doing a budweiser or some other beer commercial. Was he drinking it? I don't remember. Was he the STAR of the commercial? I don't think so. Did his Bishop have an issue? Probably not because he was an ACTOR and he was doing what actors do - get whatever job you can get.

dahlia, I don't think you would get "called in" to speak with the bishop. Perhaps a friend in the church might say something, but as a friend more than as a judge. However, you may have difficulty in obtaining a temple recommend. If the bishop knows you are not keeping the Word of Wisdom, you say you are, he may question you to make sure you understand the doctrine.

I can tell you that my mom (who was LDS) drank coffee (she did not have a temple recommend) was never "talked to" by a bishop or home teacher.

We have no idea if Beck is active or not??? If hes on the church rolls or not, we dont know.;''I personnal dont like his style I dont watch or listen to what he says....

[Threadjack]He is, or was a couple of years ago. Friend of mine was in his ward--Beck was actually the Gospel Doctrine teacher for a while.[/threadjack]