Decent calcium sources?

Backroads

Went in for my check-up today. Everything is looking good... except I'm pretty low on calcium.

I have nothing against milk, but other than milk on my breakfast cereal and maybe some yogurt later on in the day it's hard for me to be interested.

Any other sources of non-dairy calcium that would be tasty?

Talk with your Dr about taking colloidal minerals. The type of calcium you need is NOT the calcium in Tums-

Go to a vitamin/supplement specialty store, and tell them you want colloidal minerals- you want the one that the dose is 1 oz a day taken with 8 oz of water. The minerals should come in a quart or liter bottle. Word of warning here- drink the water- all of it - at least 8 oz minimum, 16 oz is better.

The minerals taste awful, but it is just 1 oz, drink it down and follow with the water. Then eat your breakfast.

When I first started on it, I only drank about 4 oz of water. Then I ate breakfast. Within three hours my gut was gurgling, then the gurgles went up and DOWN my spine, then I spent the rest of the day lit hours in the bathroom.

After a week, I quit the minerals. I just happened to have a Dr appointment for an unrelated problem, yet I talked to the Dr about it. She said: why didn't you drink the full 8 oz of water? I said: I don't like water. She said: Suck it up, be the adult and drink the full 8 oz of water!

Well, put like that, I had to show her I was the adult. Drank the full 8 oz of water. The gurgling stopped.

Years later I quit the minerals because I just didn't have the money or the transportation (only store was 60 miles away) to get it. Then I moved, found a closer store and started up again. This time I did 8 to 16 oz of water. Never a gurgle to be had! Drink the 8 to 16 oz of water.

No, I don't do the minerals anymore. My calcium levels are good. Get them tested once a year. I am not longer anemic either- cook as much as possible in cast iron cookware :D. Get the iron that way.

if you are going to take a calcium also take a vit D. you may be getting enough calcium but it's not absorbing due to lack of vit D. my sister and i both had that problem.

I was just reading a magazine article about Vitamin D. It states that if you take 2,000-10,000 mg a day, it helps with weight loss and keeping weight off.

...I have nothing against milk, but other than milk on my breakfast cereal and maybe some yogurt later on in the day it's hard for me to be interested....

What about chocolate milk? It's just as healthy for you; it is milk just with a chocolatey flavour for those not liking the milky flavour.

M.

So.... How many gallons of milk would that take? :o

HiJolly

Well going by the figures I linked to milk has a calcium density of ~0.0012g/mL divide that into 2g and 10g and you get ~1700mL and ~8300mL converting that into gallons gets one 0.45 gal and 2.2 gal.

Edited by Dravin

• 11 months later...