Compound words-interpreting them?

lizzy16

Sometimes I here a compound word and stop and really think about it. We use them all the time and don't realize it.

Such as "hotmail" Why is it Hot Mail? Is it popular?

Or, Birthday. A friend of mine came up to me last year and pointed out birth day. The day we were born. That one is kind of obvious..I hope he was kidding...

Anyway, words like that I find interesting.

Just a thought.

:D

Sometimes I here a compound word and stop and really think about it. We use them all the time and don't realize it.

Such as "hotmail" Why is it Hot Mail? Is it popular?

Or, Birthday. A friend of mine came up to me last year and pointed out birth day. The day we were born. That one is kind of obvious..I hope he was kidding...

Anyway, words like that I find interesting.

Just a thought.

:D

in this case Hotmail started as a name. I don't think its become a verb or adjective yet, like google has.

I was a gatekeeper at a naturist web venue when hotmail came along. I almost barred the door because I thought hotmail was suggestive.

light house keeper

As soon as someone says it, though, you can usually distinguish among:

• someone who keeps a lighthouse
  • someone who does light as opposed to heavy housekeeping
  • a housekeeper who doesn't weigh much

CF "supra-segmental phonemes"

How about words that mean totally different things like Hot Male/ Hot Mail bad / bad can mean the opposite in this age. Even forgive me how did the innocent word Gay end up meaning Gay?

using it as slang for long enough. It probably started getting associated with homosexuals and then eventually used exclusively in relation to them.

Sometimes an individual or group will take it upon them, other times it is put upon them by some "in" group.

along that line the same thing has happened to these words in various ways:

queer

faggot

negro

it happens to symbols too, such as the swastica and the rainbow.

It seems has a tendency to go towards preferring to glut itself in the rut of the road rather than strive to live in mansions.

Edited by Blackmarch