Church pet peeves!!!

MichaelH

Every talk given in General Conference, ends that way. They are not praying, yet that is the guide we use in ending our talks that way. Also, they end their talks with their testimony. As do I when I give a talk.

When our Gospel Doctrine teacher ends the lesson- she gives her testimony, followed by "... in the name of..." To me this is quite acceptable. I did the same when I was teaching Sharing Time in Primary, ended it with my testimony.

Wingnut's petpeeve (and mine too) is with people who end it with "... in the name of THY son, Jesus Christ, Amen"

Take out the "thy" and it's all good. ^_^

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wingnut's petpeeve (and mine too) is with people who end it with "... in the name of THY son, Jesus Christ, Amen"

Take out the "thy" and it's all good. ^_^

In other words you want them to end: In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. Taking out not only the 'thy' but also the 'son'. Because Thy Son refers to God's Son. Okay, that makes sense.

"We ask this in the name of Thy Son, Jesus Christ, Amen" is for a prayer.

Reminds me of the time when I was the primary music leader and the primary 2nd counselor stood up and said "Let's bow our arms and fold our heads" LOL She caught herself right away and everybody had a good laugh. Of course, reverence was hopeless at that point, as every child in the room, junior AND senior primary, demonstrated efforts of folding their heads!! LOL

In other words you want them to end: In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. Taking out not only the 'thy' but also the 'son'. Because Thy Son refers to God's Son. Okay, that makes sense.

"We ask this in the name of Thy Son, Jesus Christ, Amen" is for a prayer.

One could keep Son in if they changed thy to the. So:

"...in the name of the Son, Jesus Christ, Amen."

Doesn't flow quite as smoothly and a touch redundant but still correct.

Little kids getting up for F&T meetings, especially those that need their patrent to whisper "their" testimonies to them.

There was a F.P. letter a few years back saying primary kids had their opportunity in Primary and should not get up on F&T meeting

Edited by mnn727

Little kids getting up for F&T meetings, especially those that need their patrent to whisper "their" testimonies to them.

There was a F.P. letter a few years back saying primary kids had their opportunity in Primary and should not get up on F&T meeting

As has been clarified on this board many times, the letter from the First Presidency indicated that children who are not able to bear their testimonies without being prompted should not share them in Sacrament meeting.

Our F&T meetings, unfortunately, are mostly "thankful for" or family happenings of the week. But I must say, this month went to another level, even for us. We were warned, LOL, when it was stated "I know this is not the time or place for this, but"... (then, do not do it, right?)

We were told about a litter of puppies under a neighbors house, might be two mothers, not sure, some are tan but also some black ones, so if anyone wants a puppy or knows someone that does, I sure would like to see them gone. Just let me know.

I actually had to bite the inside of my jaw to keep from laughing...

• 3 weeks later...

Gospel Doctrine pet peeves:

1. When the teacher recaps the previous weeks lesson and takes half the class time to do it. If you weren't there last week, or if you didn't pay attention, tough- get on with this Sunday's lesson!

2. I know it is next to impossible for the teacher to cut someone off who is rambling on and on. This last Sunday, not only in Gospel Doctrine class but also in RS- this woman answers, yet she isn't making much sense at all. We had Fast & Testimony, she gets up and takes 25 minutes to relate NOTHING- she rambled from one topic to another without finishing a single sentence or thought. Did anyone from the Bishopric get up and move her along- NOOOO. The 2nd Councilor was asleep, and the 1st Councilor looked like he was in a hypnotic daze. The Branch Pres. wasn't there- boy was he lucky. Did her sister get up and move her along- NOOOO. What totally baffled me was that the GD and RS Teachers actually called on her to answer a question, in their classes AFTER witnessing her in Sacrament. Did you not hear her un-testimony??

3. The sister who got up to give her testimony and related those testimonies that were given before she got up there. Yet, never once saying the persons name, cause she doesn't take the time to remember names. She has been in the Branch before- for a year, then just recently the boundaries were changed and she & husband are now members again and have been for the last two months. Come on, there are only 30 active members. 28 of which you knew when you were there before.

Gospel Doctrine pet peeves:

2. I know it is next to impossible for the teacher to cut someone off who is rambling on and on. This last Sunday, not only in Gospel Doctrine class but also in RS- this woman answers, yet she isn't making much sense at all. We had Fast & Testimony, she gets up and takes 25 minutes to relate NOTHING- she rambled from one topic to another without finishing a single sentence or thought. Did anyone from the Bishopric get up and move her along- NOOOO. The 2nd Councilor was asleep, and the 1st Councilor looked like he was in a hypnotic daze. The Branch Pres. wasn't there- boy was he lucky. Did her sister get up and move her along- NOOOO. What totally baffled me was that the GD and RS Teachers actually called on her to answer a question, in their classes AFTER witnessing her in Sacrament. Did you not hear her un-testimony??

I was in a Ward where that was happening. Bishop slipped her a paper asking her to move along. It was great. Because I later found out she spent the whole RS meeting pontificating on nothing. And she was a visitor from out of state.

I HATE that. I don't do to well with testimony meetings.

I was in a Ward where that was happening. Bishop slipped her a paper asking her to move along. It was great. Because I later found out she spent the whole RS meeting pontificating on nothing. And she was a visitor from out of state.

I HATE that. I don't do to well with testimony meetings.

One time we had some young people come in to church. It was summer, and we often have visitors who are campers and didn't even know there was a meetinghouse nearby. They come in their camping clothes. So we thought these four young people (late teens, early twenties) were summer visitors.

One of our elderly sisters always gave a Primary Lessonamoniy. This time it was about the accident her DIL had that previous week, and how prayers kept her from losing her leg, and protecting the children, yada, yada for 10 minutes, until the Branch Pres. turned off the mic. Then this young girl gets up and proceeds to tell us in graphic detail how her father raped and abused her and her prayers sure didn't protect her.

The Branch President was up out of the chair, his wife and the RS pres were a close second to getting up there and they walked her and her four companions out of the chapel and into the RS room!

The 1st Councilor didn't waste anytime, he was right at the podium and gave his testimony, his wife followed him, and then the Ex. Sec got up. Then the 2nd Councilor decided to end testimony time early and we sang 4 hymns to take up the time.

Actually, it was one of the best F&T meetings- Four hymns in a row! ALL verses too.

That month there were 5 Sunday's, so the Branch Pres & both his Counsilors taught about testimonies. What they are, how to nurture them, how to publically express them.

We taped all of the Gospel Doctrine and RS classes for two of our members who are shut ins. Sure wish we had kept that tape of the Testimony Lesson! It needs to be given at least 4 times a year! To everyone in the Church. World Wide.

Mmm'mmm- 4 hymns in a row. :P

Knowing my bishopric, the 2nd counselor would have wrapped his hand around her mouth, the 1st would have sat there and taken over because he's just a nice guy and the Bishop would have been on the floor laughing his head off, unable to breathe.

Yesterday, this lady stood up , gave a sincere heartfelt testimony. She hasnt been to church in a long time, they just had a death in the family and it led her back. She didnt know how to bear her testimony properly, but it was heartfelt. The follow ups were talking about the previous night activities. Please.... someone please say something to acknowledge, comfort her instead of joking around and who you were grateful for, and how blessed you are !!!! Its probably small.... but it did bug me and it still does.

Yesterday, this lady stood up , gave a sincere heartfelt testimony. She hasnt been to church in a long time, they just had a death in the family and it led her back. She didnt know how to bear her testimony properly, but it was heartfelt. The follow ups were talking about the previous night activities. Please.... someone please say something to acknowledge, comfort her instead of joking around and who you were grateful for, and how blessed you are !!!! Its probably small.... but it did bug me and it still does.

Actually the better time for such would be after sacrament (or even during, there aren't snipers preventing you from moving to sit next to someone). Though I suppose 'on topic' collaborative testimonies would certainly work.

I suppose the question is, did you get up and do such?

If someone had mention something not directly, but in the lines of how the plan of salvation blesses them or how struggles strengthens our relationship with our savior because hes felt all our pains or knows everything weve gone through..... it would have helped. She was visiting and she left afterwards. Either way, i guess i need to work on not controlling other peoples testimonies.

Edited by findingmyway

Mmm'mmm- 4 hymns in a row.

That reminds me, I'm rather disappointed that for Priesthood they only ever sing the first verse in most wards I've attended. However I'm not disappointed enough to say something and risk being asked to lead. :D

I wish we could get rid of the "practice hymn" in Relief Society. It seems rather pointless to me. We don't really "practice" it at all, just sing it - awkwardly, because we're not familiar with it - then move onto the lesson.

Another hymn-related pet-peeve of mine is people who TALK during hymns. It's a PRAYER people! And don't think we can't hear you!