A Moral Question

Jennarator

My Ex is joining the millitary. Side from the fact that I am going to finally start getting child support, I cannot feel good about it.

He has some majot emotional and hpycological issues. He will and has lied to try to get in. They might let him in, as he is doing the physical and such today and tommorrow.

Here's my question:

Do I let him lie, and hope the millitary figures out he has issues, or do I call and tell the recuiter? I know it is sorta none of my business anymore, as we are not married, however, is it morally my place to tell someone? As of now I am staying out of it, but I feel since he will be trained with a gun, and our lives might be in his hand (to an extent) I think they ought to know about the major, very major issues he has.

Unless you believe that it will put someone in danger, Let this issue die and totally don't ever involve yourself with him in any way.

If you honestly believe that he being in the military will seriously put somebody at harm, then I'd say send a letter to the recruiters, and let them know you're worried about that issue, keep it short and to the point (let them know your his ex, and that he's had emotional and honesty issues in the past and that your worried that his joining the military would put others in unnecessary danger.. or something like that), don't use drama, and give them information to contact you in some manner or another. after that, forget about it, let the issue die, you've done your part.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest saintish

GUess I worried for nothing. He got denied! He says becasue of his age, but I read that you can get in up to the age of 42. He's only 34. Oh well.

they are really trying to shrink the military right now so they get stricter on a lot of requirements. you used to be able to join with a criminal record and no high school diploma, now you must have a diploma and and criminal activity will probably disqualify you.

Wow. That is like saying if a person who attended BYU kills someone, it would be BYU's fault. Just because you WORK for an organization doesn't mean the organization is responsible for your behavior. Rather, you should be responsible for your own actions.

You don't just WORK for the Armed Forces. You ARE the Armed Forces. You work for the citizens of the United States of America. It's a completely different beast altogether - so much so that if you mess up, you don't go to any American court. You go to the military court because everything you do is not just you. It's you, the officers above you, and all the way to the President.

Edited by anatess

Actually to enter the military you have to be be 26 or less for enlisted. It is 32 for officers. They can waive the age limit a little bit, but not much.

If that is so, and I am NOT doubting, just wondering, then why did they take him thru the whole process? They knew how old he was, yet they had me send paperwork so my kids could get child support and they let him get all they way thru the physical. You would think they would have turned him away before it got that far. I know they knew his age, because I double checked. I think it was some other reason, he won't admit.

Guest saintish

If that is so, and I am NOT doubting, just wondering, then why did they take him thru the whole process? They knew how old he was, yet they had me send paperwork so my kids could get child support and they let him get all they way thru the physical. You would think they would have turned him away before it got that far. I know they knew his age, because I double checked. I think it was some other reason, he won't admit.

Thats probably because the recruters thought they could get a wavier ( they have them for just about every thing) but it has to be approved by higher authorities and that is based on how many people they had already recruited.

Hidden

My Ex is joining the millitary. Side from the fact that I am going to finally start getting child support, I cannot feel good about it.

He has some majot emotional and hpycological issues. He will and has lied to try to get in. They might let him in, as he is doing the physical and such today and tommorrow.

Here's my question:

Do I let him lie, and hope the millitary figures out he has issues, or do I call and tell the recuiter? I know it is sorta none of my business anymore, as we are not married, however, is it morally my place to tell someone? As of now I am staying out of it, but I feel since he will be trained with a gun, and our lives might be in his hand (to an extent) I think they ought to know about the major, very major issues he has.

Actually, that would be called defamation. Specifically, Slander. Unless you could prove by clear and convincing evidence that he is in fact emotionally unstable, then you could be liable for damages in a court of law if he was harmed by your slanderous statement. He could seek monetary damages, attorney fees, court filing fees, etc. against you.

I would just mind your own business young lady

Hidden

Actually, that would be called defamation. Specifically, Slander. Unless you could prove by clear and convincing evidence that he is in fact emotionally unstable, then you could be liable for damages in a court of law if he was harmed by your slanderous statement. He could seek monetary damages, attorney fees, court filing fees, etc. against you.

I would just mind your own business young lady

Yup, you are a troll.