Interesting fact about Thomas S. Monson:

Back when Spencer W. Kimball was prophet, Germany didn't allow any kind of religious book being brought into the country. The members of the church there would have to meet secretly due to country law. However, they had no church handbook. The leaders of the church was aware of the situation so Thomas S. Monson memorized the entire church handbook used at that time, went to Germany, and wrote what the church handbook said in it word for word to avoid the "no religious book" law.

Source?

Because your last sentence pretty much say's that he illegally smuggled in a religious book. I serious doubt the validity of that. If it's properly sources, then who's to argue?

Edited by slamjet

“The government of East Germany would not allow Church materials to be taken into the country,” he recalled. “So I was asked by President Spencer W. Kimball to memorize the new edition of what we then called the General Church Handbook of Instructions, to cross the border into East Germany, and then to type the handbook for the faithful Church leaders there. Although it would have been impossible for anyone to actually memorize the entire book, I did study it thoroughly and learned the concepts from cover to cover. I traveled to East Germany, asked the Church leaders there for an office, a typewriter and a ream of paper. I commenced typing.”

However, an hour or two later, President Monson stood up to stretch, glanced around the room and noticed a bookshelf behind him. On the shelf was a copy of the new edition of the General Handbook of Instructions in the German language.

“Someone had obviously smuggled it across the border,” he said. “Since that time, I’ve been rather knowledgeable concerning the contents of that book.”

LDS Church News - Worldwide leadership broadcast: Pres. Monson emphasizes importance of reading, understanding and following handbook guidance

And this is why sourcing is so important. The OP was correct on the big points, but the word for word part is a bit of an exaggeration.

There's also the fairly large mistake of saying "Germany," when, in fact, it was East Germany. Those were two completely different countries at the time.

Elphaba

President Monson, I believe, has an eidetic memory. I've heard this story for years, though not in relation specifically to the general handbook, but rather to manuals, pamphlets, lesson resources, etc.

Edited by Wingnut

Or you could go watch the Worldwide Leadership Training Broadcast in which he told this story and listen to him tell it himself. He does, in fact, state that it would be impossible for anyone to memorize the entire book.

So unless you can provide a better reference than President Monson himself, I think I'm going to go with those that say he didn't memorize it word-for-word.

President Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines has an eidetic memory. He didn't need teleprompters/copy notes for his speeches. His memory is so good he can even say his entire speech backwards.

Okay, so this didn't have anything to do with President Monson... :D

I know what I read. He memorized it word for word.

This is where I say, "then go get the book and post what it say's." I haven't read the book, so I'll go by Suzie's post because it is sources. That's the way it works.

So how is it that we got a temple into East Germany?

The Freiberg Germany Temple was the first temple built in a communist nation and the first built on German soil.

The Freiberg Germany Temple was originally named the Freiberg DDR Temple.

At 7,840 square feet, the Freiberg Germany Temple was the smallest temple the Church had ever constructed.

Following diligent efforts by the Church to obtain permission for its faithful couples to attend the Bern Switzerland Temple, the government asked if it might consider building a temple in East Germany. The Church gratefully accepted the invitation and built the Freiberg Germany Temple.

I love biographies and have yet to read President Monsons. I understand the book is awesome.

Go over to the Mormon Channel and under Conversation, they interviewed the author. It's a really good listen. It will give a nice appreciation for the book and the work that went into it.

Back when Spencer W. Kimball was prophet, Germany didn't allow any kind of religious book being brought into the country. The members of the church there would have to meet secretly due to country law. However, they had no church handbook. The leaders of the church was aware of the situation so Thomas S. Monson memorized the entire church handbook used at that time, went to Germany, and wrote what the church handbook said in it word for word to avoid the "no religious book" law.

I lived in Germany when Kimball was President, no such laws existed of which I am aware.

Read "To the Rescue" Pres Monsons biography ... it was fabulous. The Chapters on the years he worked with the German people was amazing ... those saints suffered.

That's the one my dad has and I've read it too. Thomas Monson is responsible for quite a bit. He's the reason the church is allowed in Germany, he's the one that set up how the current home and visiting teaching is supposed to be, and other things.