Priesthood Lineage

pam

Connie: Been fine, thanks. Hope the same for you.

MorningStar: <intense stare> Can I get voice lessons? <more staring> I'll probably have to cancel out at inopportune moments. Hope you're okay with that. <staring intensifies>

Hahahahaha!!!! No. Well, OK. But I would prefer you ask me to accompany your children for a vocal competition outside of church, practice with them weekly for two months or so, and then expect me to make no plans on the day of the event since the performance time isn't given until a day or two before, and then pay me nothing. Or better yet, tell me, "I told my daughter if we had to pay for accompanist, then we weren't going to do it, so I figured I would ask you."

It makes me feel valued. Asking me to do it 3 days before the event is even better because as you know, I have no life.

Long ago in my childhood, I realized that I'm the only real person around. Everyone else is just here for my amusement and edification. So whether you have a life or not, I don't worry about it, because you just vanish into thin air when you're not around me, anyway.

Well I guess I stand corrected...now I'll just have to remember this little bit of info if I'm ever a High Priest. ;)

Well if it's any comfort Daybreak, I actually was of the same mindset before I asked the question. I learned something.

A clarification:

My current line of authority traces my ordination as elder through my father's ordination as a high priest. That is, whatever the ordainer's office of authority is at the time of the ordinance determines the line of authority, regardless of the office to which the person is being ordained.

Long ago in my childhood, I realized that I'm the only real person around. Everyone else is just here for my amusement and edification. So whether you have a life or not, I don't worry about it, because you just vanish into thin air when you're not around me, anyway.

Oh how we've missed you!

The authority to act is given through the priesthood itself, Aaronic or Melchezidek. The duties assigned to each office within the priesthood, however, are cumulative.

For example, even though I'm an elder, I still bear the duties and responsabilities of all the Aaronic Priesthood offices I held previously. I can still pass/bless the sacrament, and I still am obligated to assist in fast offering collection.

The Melchezidek priesthood is exactly the same. An high priest can do all the things an Elder can do, so tracing one's priesthood lineage through the office is a bit unnecessary. The only real difference is the responsabilities for the office held. It's not a new authority, but a new assignment within that authority.

The authority to act is given through the priesthood itself, Aaronic or Melchezidek. The duties assigned to each office within the priesthood, however, are cumulative.

For example, even though I'm an elder, I still bear the duties and responsabilities of all the Aaronic Priesthood offices I held previously. I can still pass/bless the sacrament, and I still am obligated to assist in fast offering collection.

The Melchezidek priesthood is exactly the same. An high priest can do all the things an Elder can do, so tracing one's priesthood lineage through the office is a bit unnecessary. The only real difference is the responsabilities for the office held. It's not a new authority, but a new assignment within that authority.

That isn't quite accurate. It would be more correct to say that it is not new power, but new authority within the power. Recall that when we ordain a person, we ordain them to an office and bestow the rights, powers, and authorities of that office. (See Handbook 2, 20.7.1).

I'll also refer you to earlier comments that cite Church sources that the line of authority is traced through the most recent office.