Tornado in Joplin, MO- How did LDS chapel do?

bcguy

A tornado the size like never seen since the 1950s has ripped though Joplin Mo killing 89 people. Its path of destruction was calculated to be 1/2 mile wide, 4 miles long.

I belong to a forum and one of the members sister inlaw was on the phone with him when she started screaming and the line went dead.

Tornado Death Toll Hits 90 in Joplin Missouri From Once In a Generation Storm - ABC News

Audio and vidio of a tornado hitting a small convenience store. If the convenience store is made of cinder block, it may have saved them.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Guest tbaird22

my girlfriend sent me a picture of the lds stake center with the roof ripped off. no bueno. she was driving to chicago with her dad when it hit.

The bad weather continues. My heart goes out to all the people that have suffered and continue to suffer from this tragedy, LDS and non LDS alike.

They will all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

The outpouring of love and help has been amazing and I am sure will continue for some time to come.

I was told by a friend of a friend who lives there that there were people in the building for a fireside at the time the building was hit by the tornado. I can't even imagine what that was like seeing how awful the destruction is there.

The news here in Utah said that the the tornado hit an hour or so before the fireside was scheduled to begin. But there were people in the building for other smaller meetings. :(

I'm glad all the missionaries are safe. My heart is breaking for the residents of Joplin.

The news here in Utah said that the the tornado hit an hour or so before the fireside was scheduled to begin. But there were people in the building for other smaller meetings. :(

They hid in the bathroom. Guess what was the only thing left standing.

D&C 5:18-19. Another sign of the times.

Not sure if I would tell the Stake President over there that. His house is gone. My ex-wife lives just 45 minutes form there (just up Highway 44). She has friends and acquaintances who have been greatly affected. So I've been hearing a lot of what's happening, and telling them it's a result of God's judgement or a sign of the times is not very tactful or comforting.

D&C 5:18-19. D&C 45: 41. Mormon 8:29. All these earth quakes, fires, floods, tornadoes, vapors(Japans Nuclear Plant Leak) etc., throughout the world are signs that the second comming is at hand. When there are areas of hardening of hearts to the Gospel these desolations and scourges will continue. Let's repent and love our neighbor even more than we have in the past.

I would have to say I am one to agree that there is an increase of these natural disasters. To play devils advocate, there are also those that have argued that it's only because there is more media coverage, more histories kept that we are aware of it.

I say hogwash to all of that. We have been told and it has been prophesied that there will be great desolations leading up to the last days. This is just some of them.

Maybe Heavenly Father just wanted the Stake President to have a new home?? :) Maybe the old one was: to old, small, etc.?? . I am thankfull that his family and others are safe. The family Photos,etc. and family memories in the house are what makes me sad. I wish all of Joplin a quick recovery from a terrible situation.:(

Edited by SQUARE

Heavenly Father doesn't send a tornado just because a Stake President needs a new home. I think we need to get away from that line of thought.

I did not mean it like that. The Tornado was sent for said reasons above, and guided accordingly, and maybe a slight detour was made, who knows??. I thought we needed a little humor to this sad situation.

I understand your efforts, but 119 dead, 11 staff and residents in one nursing home alone. Sorry, It's really close to home for me (ex-wife and kids). And it's still not over. More bad weather today.

Not sure if I would tell the Stake President over there that. His house is gone. My ex-wife lives just 45 minutes form there (just up Highway 44). She has friends and acquaintances who have been greatly affected. So I've been hearing a lot of what's happening, and telling them it's a result of God's judgement or a sign of the times is not very tactful or comforting.

Sign of the times? Maybe. But judgement? I wouldn't mention it.