What is your favorite type of hymn?

Backroads

What is your favorite genre of hymn?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite genre of hymn?

• Easter
    • Christmas
    • Pioneer
    • Restoration
    • Sacrament
    • Hymns of Praise
    • Concerned with nature
    • Concerned with repentance
    • Patriotic
    • The ones that dabble in doctrine
    • Concerned with the church community
    • The ones no one ever sings
    • Other (describe)

Hmm.. I'm trying to think of how to describe the types of hymns I like... I'd say I like the ones with more complicated music, but still easy to sing (no super high notes or complicated runs). Ones that you wouldn't find in their original forms in a "Hymns Made Easy" book. :P (Sweet Hour of Prayer comes to mind as one of those). Ones that are rousing, energetic, and just simply beautiful.

"Press Forward Saints"

"Army of Helaman" (I know, I know, it's a Primary song, but still...)

"The Spirit of God"

"O Come, All Ye Faithful"

"High On A Mountain Top"

This is not meant in a mean way, but when it comes to hymns i could never enjoy the LDS ones. They always felt awkward and just not fluid to me. Don't get me wrong i love some hymns, but for me the catholic hymns just seemed more natural

I am quite the opposite. While there are a few non-LDS hymns that I think are beautiful (e.g. How Great Thou Art), my favorite are pretty much all LDS. There is a depth to many of the LDS hymns that simply is lacking in the others. Not just "adult" hymn, either; some of our Primary songs are as beautiful as any hymns I know of. A few examples:

The Spirit of God

My Heavenly Father Loves Me

The Wintry Day, Descending to Its Close

In Humility, Our Savior

Mary's Lullaby

This is not meant in a mean way, but when it comes to hymns i could never enjoy the LDS ones. They always felt awkward and just not fluid to me. Don't get me wrong i love some hymns, but for me the catholic hymns just seemed more natural,

Yup. Same here; I have the hardest time learning the LDS hymns. I am trying, but for the most part I just sit with the book open. That said, I do like 'How Firm a Foundation,' 'We are the Army of Helaman' (didn't know it was a primary song - I got it from YouTube and there were missionaries in the video), 'Praise to the Man,' and 'Adam-ondi-Ahman.' My absolute fav is 'If You Could Hie to Kolob.'

I'm sure I'll learn more, but for the most part, the hymns sound very Protestant to me and hard to sing. I don't mind listening to some of them, though.

I have a few that stand out from Judaism, LDS and other Christian:

Two Favorite Jewish Songs

O Seh Shalom

Hashkiveinu

Two Favorite LDS Hymns

If You Could Hie To Kolob

Praise To The Man

Two Favorite Christian Hymns

Nearer My God To Thee

How Great Thou Art

Another beautiful Hymn found in a Lutheran hymnal called Hark The Voice Of Jesus Calling has beautiful lyrics for a call to service hymn.

:sing:

A good number of hymns in the LDS Hymnbook were written by non-Mormons. I do like a lot of the LDS hymns, and also lots of non-LDS religious music. One of the hymns we sang yesterday during our "favorite hymn" sacrament meeting is one that was in the old LDS hymnbook, but not included in the current one, "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing." The fellow who picked it served his mission in Germany, and the missionaries would often sing hymns in the street. Non-LDS Germans would stop and listen to this one more than others because they recognized it from their own hymnbooks. In case you're wondering, they included a photocopy of the hymn in the ward bulletin so everybody could sing it.

Christmas music, of course, is among my favorite. Don't tell anybody, but I occasionally listen to it even when it's nowhere near Christmas! Sacrament, praise, and songs having to do with nature are also good.

I love hymns in the hymn book as well as the songs in the children's song book. I learned how to play the piano by playing the songs in the primary book and the hymn book. Then as a teen, anytime I was feeling down/depressed, playing my favorite hymns on the piano was one of the very very few ways to help me feel better. These are my favorite hymns:

The Spirit of God

We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet

Praise to the Man

Glorious Things are Sung of Zion

Adam-ondi-Ahman

The Lord is My Light

Secret Prayer

Because I Have Been Given Much

Choose the Right

As Zion's Youth in Latter Days

The Iron Rod

If You Could Hie to Kolob

And all the Christmas ones.

I am working on slowly downloading all the songs from the church website to put on my iPod. I have all of the scriptures on my iPod... now working on the hymns and children's songs.

This is not meant in a mean way, but when it comes to hymns i could never enjoy the LDS ones. They always felt awkward and just not fluid to me. Don't get me wrong i love some hymns, but for me the catholic hymns just seemed more natural,

Yup. Same here; I have the hardest time learning the LDS hymns. I am trying, but for the most part I just sit with the book open. That said, I do like 'How Firm a Foundation,' 'We are the Army of Helaman' (didn't know it was a primary song - I got it from YouTube and there were missionaries in the video), 'Praise to the Man,' and 'Adam-ondi-Ahman.' My absolute fav is 'If You Could Hie to Kolob.'

I'm sure I'll learn more, but for the most part, the hymns sound very Protestant to me and hard to sing. I don't mind listening to some of them, though.

It isn't the LDS hymns...it's the way they are played. We tend to sing and play them like dirges. I attended an Episcopal church a couple months ago, and the singing was so incredibly different. As in so many things, it's all in the presentation.

Hmm.. I'm trying to think of how to describe the types of hymns I like... I'd say I like the ones with more complicated music, but still easy to sing (no super high notes or complicated runs). Ones that you wouldn't find in their original forms in a "Hymns Made Easy" book. :P (Sweet Hour of Prayer comes to mind as one of those). Ones that are rousing, energetic, and just simply beautiful.

"Press Forward Saints"

"Army of Helaman" (I know, I know, it's a Primary song, but still...)

"The Spirit of God"

"O Come, All Ye Faithful"

"High On A Mountain Top"

I like this list, too. Add:

"Choose the Right"

"Let Us All Press On"

And my Fave:

"Each Life That Touches Ours For Good"

OK< I KNOW I MIGHT NOT HAVE THE TITLES EXACT RIGHT.....OOPS... :huh:

My absolute fav is 'If You Could Hie to Kolob.'

My mother wants that one sung at her funeral. It's got a Star Trek kind of vibe to it.

Some of my favorites are:

- Brightly Beams Our Fathers Mercy (Men's Choir)

- Come, Come Ye Saints

- Spirit of God

- A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief

- True to the Faith

- Praise to the Man