Married Before Age 18 at Higher Risk of Mental Woes

Bini

Why do we always need a study for things that are predictable with even a smidge of common sense? It's almost like people in certain ideological countercultures are in such denial about it that they have to set out to prove it before they believe what their gut is telling them despite their brain's denial. Oh, wait...

Edited by PrinceofLight2000

Why do we always need a study for things that are predictable with even a smidge of common sense? It's almost like people in certain ideological countercultures are in such denial about it that they have to set out to prove it before they believe what their gut is telling them despite their brain's denial. Oh, wait...

Because "common sense" and "common knowledge" are not always correct. Gathering empirical and objective knowledge is what allows us to identify a) what the truth is, and b) if we should change our dialog.

Take, for instance, the statements of concern we hear about the average marrying age in the Church going up. We get worried that people are putting off marriage and family for other things. And now, this new study points out that marrying too young is associated with mental illness. Now we get to evaluate if our dialog about discouraging members to wait until they are older and established to get married is inadvertently encouraging them to get married too early.

As much as it drives people nuts, research for the sake of research has value. Even if it confirms a previously held hypothesis, at least we know that the hypothesis is still true (sometimes these things change with time).

Full Article

Thought it was an interesting read.

considering how much mental overload and influences we have going on that we have in our society, i doubt marriage at a younger age is going to make enough of a difference to merit such a push... especially when other things have more affect on a person.

I personally would like it if there were more laws that set the legal age of marriage to 18 as I think it might help reduce the divorce rate. After all, people have to wait until they're 18 to join the military or vote, so I think it would be best if they waited to marry until that age. In my opinion, I like that the average age for marriage is getting to be into the mid 20's, as most people have finished college and are more financially stable and more able to support a family. A 28 year old woman can be just as fertile as an 18 year old, so women who wait until they're self-sufficient aren't wasting their fertility.

I am 20, almost 21, and my parents are anxious for me to get married, but not to have children yet. Even so, all my boyfriends keep moving away after about 6 months. So I'm kind of unlucky in that respect. But that's not the point of my response.

People say that they're concerned about the marriage age going up. But consider this, your son is going away on his mission at 19 or 20, and returning when he's 21 or 22. By the time he gets back on his feet in his community (job, house, good money, car, ect) he could be as old as 24.

Now switch gears, a little bit. A young man has returned from his Mission, and gotten on his feet. He is 23 (just for kicks). Your daughter is choosing not to go on a mission, because maybe she's not called, or she has 5 brothers who all need to go on missions. So instead she decides to go to BYU. While there, she meets a nice young man who's 23. This is an age difference of FIVE YEARS. That means, that if you go back in time a bit, he graduated high school when she was still in middle school. Creepy much?

I think there's a certain trade-off that must be considered when encouraging our sons and daughters to get married. Yes, we want them to bring Heavenly Father's children to Earth, but women don't start having disabled children until she's at least 35. (I think the number is actually 38, but I'm not sure). So therefore, give your daughters time and by the time she has a good education, there will be wonderful young men in her classes that are not only worthy, but also close to her same age.

That's all I have to say, thanks for reading this really long post.

So instead she decides to go to BYU. While there, she meets a nice young man who's 23. This is an age difference of FIVE YEARS. That means, that if you go back in time a bit, he graduated high school when she was still in middle school. Creepy much?

I would like her to go there, but then again... she's not even two yet...

Regardless- I would trust a 23 year old guy with my little girl than a 19 year old guy any day.... having been both of those before, I can say that although both guys do a lot of thinking, the 19 year old's thoughts primarily emanate from somewhere less cerebral.... by 23 the hormones have leveled out a bit :)

While there, she meets a nice young man who's 23. This is an age difference of FIVE YEARS. That means, that if you go back in time a bit, he graduated high school when she was still in middle school. Creepy much?

Wow. So, anyone who is in a relationship that has an age difference of...what, 4 years???....is creepy? Because when one is in his/her mid 20's or older are so very concerned about what happens in high school....