Cremation

seeking_peace

My father just passed away and, in keeping with his wishes, we are having his remains cremated. His reasons for choosing cremation are well thought out and make a lot of sense.

Traditionally, LDS people opt for burial. Is that a cultural tradition, or does the church have an official stand? As people that believe in literal resurrection, it is easy to think that a buried body will “reconstruct” easier. But in reality, even an embalmed body decays over time and by the time we are resurrected, there won’t be much left.

My father just passed away and, in keeping with his wishes, we are having his remains cremated. His reasons for choosing cremation are well thought out and make a lot of sense.

Traditionally, LDS people opt for burial. Is that a cultural tradition, or does the church have an official stand? As people that believe in literal resurrection, it is easy to think that a buried body will “reconstruct” easier. But in reality, even an embalmed body decays over time and by the time we are resurrected, there won’t be much left.

I am sorry for your loss.

From Handbook 2: Administering the church:

The Church does not normally encourage cremation. However, if the body of an endowed member is being cremated, it should be dressed in temple clothing if possible. For information about dedicating the place where the ashes are kept, see 20.9.

You may consecrate the area where the ashes are kept as well:

A person who dedicates a grave should hold the Melchizedek Priesthood and be authorized by the priesthood officer who conducts the service. To dedicate a grave, he:

Addresses Heavenly Father.

States that he is acting by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Dedicates and consecrates the burial plot as the resting place for the body of the deceased.

Prays that the place will be hallowed and protected until the Resurrection (where appropriate).

Asks the Lord to comfort the family and expresses thoughts as the Spirit directs.

Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

If the family prefers, a graveside prayer rather than a dedicatory prayer may be offered.

If a Church member’s body is cremated, the presiding officer may use his judgment in determining whether to dedicate the place where the ashes are kept. He takes into account the desires of the family, local customs, and local laws. If the place is dedicated, the priesthood holder may adapt the instructions for dedicating a grave.

If anything, I agree with your father. I dislike the idea of burial and understand his wishes in this regard.

generally what've i've come across is that its suggested to do a burial rather than a cremation if possible... but i havent seen anything set in stone where it must be one or the other.

edit: what funky said.

Thank you, FT, for the condolences. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October. He remained fairly healthy for a long time, but the past 2 1/2 months have been really rough for him. He was ready to go.

Bini, it's much less expensive. That is one of the reasons that it appealed to my dad.

One of the other things is that there was no rush to have a viewing, funeral, and burial. Since my siblings and I are scattered to all corners of the US, he didn't want us to have to get last minute flights and pay premium airfares. We are having a service in three weeks and that gives everyone time to make arrangements (although 4 or the 7 of us happened to be there when he passed).

Also, my mom isn't sure where she will end up living, but she knows that she wants their ashes together ulltimately. So she can get an urn and decide later where their final resting place will be.

The mortuary handling the cremation said that 85% of their clients are opting for cremation right now.

I quite like the idea of cremation too. But I was under the impression that cremation was more expensive than traditional burial in the ground. Obviously I don't know.

No, its much cheaper in most cases, there are a few exceptions.

In TX and many other states any body kept 3 days past death by law my be embalmed, so you would need to do it before teh 3rd day to avoid embalming expense.

Also, if you chose a real coffin, rather than a cremation coffin (rough wood or even cardboard) you would have that expense also.

I think the resistance against cremation might have something to do with the sanctity of the body, as the Catholic church had a ban on cremation until relatively recently, and they require the ashes to be buried instead of scattered. I've heard also that in countries where burial is illegal and where cremation is the norm, the LDS church doesn't preach against the practice.

Personally for me, cremation is what I prefer, as it's less expensive, especially if you get a plain wooden casket for the actual cremation. As far as resurrection goes, if you go by the Genesis story, ashes couldn't be that more difficult than creating Adam.

When my brother was killed my parents argued about this. My dad and his parents believed cremation was better somehow, I guess why spend the money on the casket and burial when you have no more use for your body, they are not members. My mother was against cremation. I resolved the issue by telling my dad my brother said he would feel weird having his body burned, which he did say.

A couple of years ago my brother's friend killed himself. Since his mother didn't know the condition of his body (he shot himself), she had him cremated. I guess she could have just had a closed casket funeral, but she choose cremation. They also didn't have a lot of money for his burial.

I've never really heard one way or another the church's stance on the subject. I personally would feel weird about having my body burned to ashes, but that's just me.

I think the resistance against cremation might have something to do with the sanctity of the body, as the Catholic church had a ban on cremation until relatively recently, and they require the ashes to be buried instead of scattered. I've heard also that in countries where burial is illegal and where cremation is the norm, the LDS church doesn't preach against the practice.

Personally for me, cremation is what I prefer, as it's less expensive, especially if you get a plain wooden casket for the actual cremation. As far as resurrection goes, if you go by the Genesis story, ashes couldn't be that more difficult than creating Adam.

This is true, there are many gruesome ways we die, so I'm sure the ashes could be put back together.

Thank you, FT, for the condolences. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October. He remained fairly healthy for a long time, but the past 2 1/2 months have been really rough for him. He was ready to go.

Bini, it's much less expensive. That is one of the reasons that it appealed to my dad.

One of the other things is that there was no rush to have a viewing, funeral, and burial. Since my siblings and I are scattered to all corners of the US, he didn't want us to have to get last minute flights and pay premium airfares. We are having a service in three weeks and that gives everyone time to make arrangements (although 4 or the 7 of us happened to be there when he passed).

Also, my mom isn't sure where she will end up living, but she knows that she wants their ashes together ulltimately. So she can get an urn and decide later where their final resting place will be.

The mortuary handling the cremation said that 85% of their clients are opting for cremation right now.

first of all my condolences for your fathers passing. I know how it feels. my mother passed away from "pancreatic cancer" in 2005. She had herself cremated as well. I'll do the same when it's my time. The soul leaves the body at time of death... so its just dust like it became.

• 6 months later...