Nails not clipped in 18 years

pam

I don't find it particularly attractive but I don't see a need to judge her over it.

I find all the comments on the article sad. Just because her nails are long does not mean she is dirty. I'm sure she cleans them and keeps them smooth like everyone else. I find the longer my nails are the easier they are to keep clean. Just so much judging her on the value of her life. Just because they don't understand how she does some things doesn't mean she doesn't do them. I am amazed at how ppl with no arms function independently, but they do. I don't see ppl rudely asking them how they wipe but they want to ask her?

She accomplished something that she obviously really wanted. Good for her.

I am amazed at how ppl with no arms function independently, but they do. I don't see ppl rudely asking them how they wipe but they want to ask her?

Seriously? This woman doesn't clip her nails for 18 years, and she's on par with someone who has no arms? And should be treated the same?

Seriously, everyone should be treated the same. I didn't say put her on a pedestal as some role model or hero. That wasn't what I was comparing.

My point is why do we assume she is dirty and nasty and has poor hygiene. Ppl function independently in all kinds of situations that are near impossible to the general population. She is on par in that it's hard to understand how she does some day to day things... that does not mean she does not do them.

Yes her condition is a choice. That does not mean she has made the choice to be nasty. When you say "didn't cut nails for yrs" it leaves a connotation of being unclean and lazy in personal hygiene. That's not what she did. She had a goal and a plan and she worked toward it while living the rest of her life. How is that so bad?

When an athlete wants to break a record and their world stops for the record. All they do is work toward conditioning themselves for that goal. Everyone thinks they are heroes. Why? They accomplished nothing else in life but that. This woman worked toward her goal, and according to the article is raising a family while keeping up with her responsibilities (chores) and what not. So she is disgusting, dirty and a wasted life?

Just because you don't like how her nails look is no grounds for judging her. That judgment and assumptions is what I object to.

I'm like.. major OCD. I could never allow my nails to grow that long. In fact, I cut mine so short that they used to bleed. I can't stand the idea of dirt under my nails. Anyway, have nothing against her as a person but seeing her in person (like in the same room) would likely start giving me anxiety twitches.. Lol.

For the record, I wasn't saying she was digusting...just that her nails are.

For the record I didn't say you did. I was commenting on the comments on the article, which I stated from the beginning.

Personally I couldn't stand my nails that long or even close to it. I hit a point when I don't function well and have to cut them. I can keep them clean but I catch them on things and it hurts. I don't find it attractive at all either. But I do admire her commitment to her goal. It is quite an accomplishment and to still be able to live life.... if it's what makes her happy good for her.

For the record I didn't say you did. I was commenting on the comments on the article, which I stated from the beginning.

Personally I couldn't stand my nails that long or even close to it. I hit a point when I don't function well and have to cut them. I can keep them clean but I catch them on things and it hurts. I don't find it attractive at all either. But I do admire her commitment to her goal. It is quite an accomplishment and to still be able to live life.... if it's what makes her happy good for her.

I realize that. :) I was just making sure no one else thought that.

Seriously, everyone should be treated the same. I didn't say put her on a pedestal as some role model or hero. That wasn't what I was comparing.

Nope, not a hero, just a disabled person who had no arms and couldn't wipe.

Yes her condition is a choice. That does not mean she has made the choice to be nasty. When you say "didn't cut nails for yrs" it leaves a connotation of being unclean and lazy in personal hygiene. That's not what she did. She had a goal and a plan and she worked toward it while living the rest of her life. How is that so bad?

There really isn't a context here for you is there?

When an athlete wants to break a record and their world stops for the record. All they do is work toward conditioning themselves for that goal. Everyone thinks they are heroes. Why? They accomplished nothing else in life but that. This woman worked toward her goal, and according to the article is raising a family while keeping up with her responsibilities (chores) and what not. So she is disgusting, dirty and a wasted life?

Doesn't your opening line here clearly say you aren't trying to put her on a pedestal or make her out to be a hero? Like an athlete who trains to break a record? No? Maybe? I'm not trying to pick at you here, just sayin.

And I never said she was disgusting, I never said she was dirty, and I never said anything like her life had been wasted.

Just because you don't like how her nails look is no grounds for judging her.

All I wanted to do was get her a Book of Mormon. I didn't condemn her, or say all those things you're insinuating I said. I wasn't judging, I was being sarcastic.

That judgment and assumptions is what I object to

Fair enough. I think there might be a little overreaction to what was said, but I see your point and think it is quite noble how you stood up for this woman. No sarcasm either.

Hugs?

Gwen, the comments in this thread are comments on the article. What you mean is that you are talking about the comments on the article at KSL. Looking at Spartan's post it looks like he didn't understand the distinction you were trying to make. It took me a little bit too because, unlike some sites, you have to click a link to get to the comments. I only knew you were talking about the comments on KSL because what you were attributing to commentors didn't fit what was being said here, and I trusted you hadn't gone of the deep end. So I went back and then noticed the link to the comments.

Edited by Dravin

Nope, not a hero, just a disabled person who had no arms and couldn't wipe.

There really isn't a context here for you is there?

Doesn't your opening line here clearly say you aren't trying to put her on a pedestal or make her out to be a hero? Like an athlete who trains to break a record? No? Maybe? I'm not trying to pick at you here, just sayin.

And I never said she was disgusting, I never said she was dirty, and I never said anything like her life had been wasted.

All I wanted to do was get her a Book of Mormon. I didn't condemn her, or say all those things you're insinuating I said. I wasn't judging, I was being sarcastic.

Fair enough. I think there might be a little overreaction to what was said, but I see your point and think it is quite noble how you stood up for this woman. No sarcasm either.

Hugs?

Ppl with no arms do take care of themselves. I saw an interview with a mom with no arms and she did everything for her baby that I do for mine. I was amazed and she has accomplished great things. In the same breath she is doing what any mother does, what she has to. I do not think a person who chooses to have limited use of their hands is the same as someone that has that life forced on them for whatever reason. My point is no one sees a mom with no arms and thinks "what a wasted life, i bet her baby is nasty. oh and how does she wipe?" So why think that of someone else? I don't understand the leap in thinking. Ppl adapt, by choice or force they deal with the life in front of them.

I put very few ppl on a pedestal and I throw very few under the bus. It constantly baffles me on how the world decides who deserves what. She set a goal and accomplished that. good for her. That's it. I don't know how she lives the rest of her life and that article didn't say.

I never said you (or anyone else on this site) said she was a wasted life or dirty. I read the article, I read the comments in the article. I was saddened by the comments that did say the things I commented on. I commented on how that saddened me and I didn't understand how ppl make the judgments they do.

lol sigh, I need to go back to not reading comments to articles. lol

That is pretty wild, I wonder how she functions day to day without snapping the things off. The nails look a bit tangled, so it must take a lot of effort to do even the simplest of things, plus having your hands positioned in strange manner all day must lead to arthritis

Whatever the reason, she must take great pride in them. That has got to be one major sacrifice to life and a huge inconvenience.

Seriously? She should not be treated the same because of a physical attribute?

Should I be judged differently because I am sporting a goatee?

-RM

And yet people do do that don't they? A man with a full beard (even if it's neatly trimmed) vs a clean shaven man in an office job interview with equal credentials, who get's the job? The clean shaven man, I can almost guarantee it.

I am curious what she does for a living? Is fingernail growing an occupation? She may be the cleanest person but I think they look gross. Plus I have had a few torn fingernails in my life. One of those gets caught on something the whole nail is gone.

Ben Raines

The article said something like working on a singing career. I'm guessing she is a stay at home mom and aspiring singer.... which sounds easy enough to let your nails grow but doing housework with nails like that can't be fun. When mine get to long I catch them on everything and it hurts.

And yet people do do that don't they? A man with a full beard (even if it's neatly trimmed) vs a clean shaven man in an office job interview with equal credentials, who get's the job? The clean shaven man, I can almost guarantee it.

So Jerome do you subscribe to that world view? Should we or should be not treat others differently based upon physical characteristics?

-RM

So Jerome do you subscribe to that world view? Should we or should be not treat others differently based upon physical characteristics?

-RM

You know if you're asking that as a strict yes no question there is only one obvious answer, and that is yes. If you'd accept a date from a woman but not a man then you're treating someone differently based upon physical characteristics. Same with not letting a 300 lb 5' 3" asthmatic join the fire department. We also segregate public bathrooms. Then you have acting or scholarships. The list could go on for quite a while.

The real question is of course in what cases and circumstances we should do so. A goatee on someone being interviewed as a landscaper is quite different then a lack of arms for same position.