Coin Collecting Hobby

HoosierGuy

Do any of you collect coins as a hobby? I know coin collecting is a popular hobby. There are four to six magazines at the book store devoted to collecting modern coins.

I'm interested in ancient coins from Rome and Greece and just bought a Vespasian from around 76 AD.

I'm curious if anybody else here collect modern or old coins. Everything I've read said to watch out for fakes and don't by off eBay because of fakes.

So anybody have any nice old quarters or pennies? Biblical coins?

I've inherited my dad's coin collection. Unfortunately, he only seemed to collect wheat pennies. I do have a counterfeit dime from the '40's - more of a historical significance than actual value. A couple of indian dollars from the 1800's - well used.

I've picked up a 5 million dollar Zimbabwean note for six bucks off Ebay, only to pick up a 10 billion dollar Zimbabwean note for the same price half a year later. Hyperinflation must stink.

Somewhere, I have a 20-pound note from my trip to England many years ago. And for some reason I ended up with a German passport from the 1930's that had a Hunnertmark note tucked away in it. I'm thinking it came into my hands so I can do that lady's temple work.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I have a 100 trillion bill from Zimbabwe. $5 on Ebay.

Anyway I started to collect some international coins and older US ones but pretty much stopped. Though I did keep a few.

Guest FixingTheWrongs

I don't know much about collecting old coins but the modern US stuff is pretty easy. Go to the bank and get several rolls of coin you are collecting. Go through one and set the excess coins you don't need or want aside. As you go through the other rolls what ever you take out put one from your excess pile back in. When done rewrap the roll and take it back for cash, then goto a different bank for more rolls. You might have to go through several dozen rolls but you should get a pretty good collection from anything from the 1960s on up.

Coin shops often sell discount grab or mystery bags that can have a lot of different stuff in them. I needed a fairly rare Kennedy and was going to buy it outright from a shop, I changed my mind and amazingly the grab bag had one in it along with several other things.

Here is my fun experience, I needed several Kennedy Half dollars to complete my collection, the place I bank at had to special order them. I ordered $60 in $10 rolls. Imagine my suprise when not only did the rolls have the older silver Kennedy's but two to four Frankiln Halfs as well in each roll, even found one Walking liberty. I found so many I started a Franklin collection. I found one that a shop apprased for $10 since it was moderatly rare. I kept all the Franklin's even the ones I didn't need and took them to a coin shop where they were worth more and I used them buy the last couple of coins to complete my Kennedy collection.

The good thing about going through a bank is they have to take the coin at face value so a half dollar is worth 50 cents no matter how old, rare or how much silver it might have.

They stopped putting silver in American coins in 1963. 1964 had some silver coins as they used up the remaining silver. One of the worst actions they ever did was completely go away from the gold standard. American currency should have had at least 10 percent of the dollar backed by gold and silver. Politicians like to print money out of nothing thus causing inflation.

You would be very lucky to find a silver American coin in normal circulation today with silver being $30 per 31.1 grams.

Seems he has a good collection of silver dollars. I have no seen his collection for a very long time but was amazed at his collection.

I should ask him about it. See if he knows its value, or better yet, what coins are in the collection.

BTW, seen the price of gold? amazing. Been thinking of doing some amateur prospecting here in BC.

Do any of you collect coins as a hobby? I know coin collecting is a popular hobby. There are four to six magazines at the book store devoted to collecting modern coins.

I'm interested in ancient coins from Rome and Greece and just bought a Vespasian from around 76 AD.

I'm curious if anybody else here collect modern or old coins. Everything I've read said to watch out for fakes and don't by off eBay because of fakes.

So anybody have any nice old quarters or pennies? Biblical coins?

I dont do serious coin collecting but i tend to hang on foreign coinage, as well as older US coins or special coin series that come out every few years. I wouldnt mind getting my hand on some "Mormon" coins.

When I was little some guy (a friend of my mom's I think, I don't remember) gave me a box full of coins and bills from other countries. I loved that collection and would pull it out and look at all the different shapes and sizes and colors... my mom got rid of it for some inexplicable reason. I often wonder how much that collection was worth. Even if it wasn't worth much, it was really cool, and I would love to start another collection!!! When I was in the caribbean I got as much currency as I could and have it around here somewhere... you guys are inspiring me!

I can't believe the price of gold compared to platinum. Gold is presently trading today at close to $1,639. Platinum is trading at $1,488. I used to own a platinum American Eagle 31.1 gram platinum coin but then I sold it. I sold it for more than I bought it for and made around $225.

What about LDS money? Didn't Joseph Smith print up some money? I remember reading a book and it being mentioned some people in the U.S. were big LDS money collectors. Do any of you have the old LDS money from the 1800s?

I'm not advising you purchase anything, but you can see examples here: Rust Rare Coin – Mormon and Utah Money

I'm not advising you purchase anything, but you can see examples here: Rust Rare Coin – Mormon and Utah Money

Wow, wish I had an extra $2,950. I would spend it all on a single Kirtland Safety Society note. :gnash:

I could think of 100 other ways I would rather spend $3,000.