Who Is It That Really Converts Out Of A Religion?

prisonchaplain

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother Dorsey,

I know, sir. I was only having some fun.

Dr. T

I have a friend who goes to Church with me and He is from Somoa. He wears a skirt (he doesn't call it a skirt) and flip flops with a white shirt too Church, traditional dress for his island. Sometimes, I wish I was from Somoa, so I could wear flip flops to Church.

I have no idea what "mormon punch" is.

Here is my mother-in-law's version of Mormon Punch-

7-up, Hi-C Fruit Punch Drink, and a frozen jello ring of fruit that has Cool-Whip in it!

She expected it to be served at our wedding reception and I said- "Sorry! I just made the reservations with the Pepsi man to deliver the carb tanks, syrups and the spouts." Needless to say, she didn't talk to me for a week! But we did have Root Beer, Sprite, Orange Crush, and the Bride and Groom's favorite-- Dr. Pepper!

Be Scared... VERY scared! :o

Ray....I'm in Hillsboro Oregon in NW Oregon.....do you frequent the Portland Temple or Seattle?

The Portland Temple. And my "job" is in Portland. I commute from SW Washington. :)

And btw, if you're going to suggest we meet somewhere, perhaps some alley behind some grocery store, I will refuse. I'm very "prudent" about giving my full name and address to someone over the internet... now that I have a wife to hide behind... err, I mean protect. ;)

7-up, Hi-C Fruit Punch Drink, and a frozen jello ring of fruit that has Cool-Whip in it!

Heh, OH THAT!!!

I know what THAT is. I just didn't know it was called "Mormon punch".

Thanks very much for enlightening me on that subject, Ms.Sabran. :)

The punch recipe my Mormon friend gave me consists of:

Consentrated Raspberry, Orange and Cranberry juice. Instead of adding 3 cans each of water, cut down to 2 cans each of water and add 2 litres (not sure the conversion measure) of Gingerale. Frozen strawberries are optional.

It works out very nicely because the Raspberry juice is very sweet and the Cranberry juice is just the opposite so they compliment each other.

That is my version of Canadian Mormon Punch! :D

M.

Ray,

I did not base my quest solely on YOU! Get over yourself! You are not the only member of the church who speaks like that. Where in the bible does it say NOT to have more than one earring? And where in the bible does it say that God will put you in Heaven just cuz you wear nice clothes to church? There's a whole lot more to it than that. At one point, I think I believed everything I was taught by the missionaries. But the more I think of it, I find it hard to believe in prophets. I don't know what it is. I think if God really wanted me to do or not do something, He would find a way to tell me. Personal revelation and all that. I have tried praying, I've tried reading my scriptures, but I don't get any answers. I wanted to believe so bad at times that when I couldn't, I felt horrible. I still feel horrible. It just feels like something is missing from the LDS church. And right now, I'm trying my hardest to figure out what kind of person I want to be. I don't need people I don't even know telling me that God loves them more because they don't show their shoulders to people or that they only have one hole in their ear. The last ward I was really active in was AWESOME!! I could come to church and not worry what I looked like. They taught about God and Jesus and love and family. They knew I was trying my best and didn't judge me for my attempts to be unique in a state full of people who act the same. Have you ever been to Utah? The church is a lot different there. I realize that not all of the members are like the ones in Utah. But I'm trying to get my beliefs straight right now and I get kinda angry when people start focusing on other stuff besides our Savior and what He did for us. I am not going to base my converting out of the LDS church on YOUR opinions. IF i do decide that it isn't the church for me, it will be based solely on my ability to believe the teachings. ALL of the teachings. I don't think I can go to a church every week when I feel like the beliefs and teachings are constantly contradicting themselves. I'm not asking for proof, I just want to FEEL it is true. In the 14 years I've been a member, I don't think I've ever had that certainty. And every year that passes, the confusion grows. When I asked you that question, I simply wanted to know why you put appearance up there as one of your major points. That's all I wanted to know. I'm sure you believe in God and Jesus, if you didn't, you probably wouldn't be a member of that church. I wasn't judging you, I was questioning your comments. HUGE difference. I think if you had been through everything I have, you would have a hard time with the church also. If you would like me to expand on that, then write me personally. I'm not gonna share my childhood with the whole world, but I think it would help you understand where I'm coming from.

chiKin

Chikin, you make such a strong point through your post to Ray. We're either Jesus' best advertising, or his worst public relations enemy. Most people who leave church (be it LDS, Pentecostal, Baptist, Catholic, or whatever), do so, not because of doctrine, but because of hypocrisy, or some other type of human unkindness.

When it comes to the two great commands (love God & neighbor), we're usually a lot better at the first than the second. Sometimes it's because "we're so right we're wrong" (we destroy people to justify our beliefs). Other times, it's because we talk too much and don't listen enough.

Ray,

...I'm trying to get my beliefs straight right now and I get kinda angry when people start focusing on other stuff besides our Savior and what He did for us. I am not going to base my converting out of the LDS church on YOUR opinions. IF i do decide that it isn't the church for me, it will be based solely on my ability to believe the teachings. ALL of the teachings. I don't think I can go to a church every week when I feel like the beliefs and teachings are constantly contradicting themselves. I'm not asking for proof, I just want to FEEL it is true. In the 14 years I've been a member, I don't think I've ever had that certainty. And every year that passes, the confusion grows. When I asked you that question, I simply wanted to know why you put appearance up there as one of your major points. That's all I wanted to know. I'm sure you believe in God and Jesus, if you didn't, you probably wouldn't be a member of that church. I wasn't judging you, I was questioning your comments. HUGE difference. I think if you had been through everything I have, you would have a hard time with the church also....

Hi chiKin,

I'd like to respond to your comments. I could have condensed your post just a little more to get at the points that really struck me, but I wanted to quote enough of your post for others to understand how you feel.

I'll now address your comments one by one, to give you a little more depth in my answers.

I'm trying to get my beliefs straight right now and I get kinda angry when people start focusing on other stuff besides our Savior and what He did for us.

My first response is to want to ask... Why? Why does it make you angry when people start discussing other issues... issues other than our Savior and what He did for us... issues which perhaps could help us know more about what our Savior wants from us and why He did what He did... issues like the importance of taking care of ourselves... both our spirits and our bodies... and the role and importance of clothing... and other things which can show that we are sacred.... both our spirits and our bodies... and how we can know that we are very sacred by knowing our Savior and all He did.

I am not going to base my converting out of the LDS church on YOUR opinions.

Heh, good. Thank you. I now have a little more respect for your opinion. ;)

IF i do decide that it isn't the church for me, it will be based solely on my ability to believe the teachings. ALL of the teachings.

I think you didn't write what you were thinking... or did you really mean what you said???

I don't think I can go to a church every week when I feel like the beliefs and teachings are constantly contradicting themselves.

Yeah, me neither. But sometimes what you think is a real contradiction is something you really don't know.

I'm not asking for proof, I just want to FEEL it is true. In the 14 years I've been a member, I don't think I've ever had that certainty. And every year that passes, the confusion grows.

As someone who has been a member of the Church for 14 years to this day, you should have now heard from many, many people telling you HOW they know what is true. So if you really want to know what is true, I think you now know what to do.

When I asked you that question, I simply wanted to know why you put appearance up there as one of your major points. That's all I wanted to know.

Sorry for what appears to be a lapse in my memory, but when did I make that comment? Can you quote it for me? Can you tell me where to find it? I really don't know what you're referring to. I do think appearance is important, but I don't recall saying it was "major". It's certainly NOT up there with some MORE important points, but I do believe it is very important.

I'm sure you believe in God and Jesus, if you didn't, you probably wouldn't be a member of that church.

Yes, I believe in God and Jesus Christ. And I believed before I joined this Church.

I wasn't judging you, I was questioning your comments. HUGE difference. I think if you had been through everything I have, you would have a hard time with the church also....

Again, which comments are you referring to. I'd be a little more willing to explain what I meant after seeing what you're saying that I said.

Ray-

I'll write you personally to expand on the stuff I said. I don't want to tell the whole world this stuff. Maybe you'll understand me more after you hear some of my experiences. If not, we'll agree to disagree. I'm not trying to debate with you. I simply want to understand your thinking and everyone else on this site as far as that goes.

Prison Chaplain-

Thank you for understanding exactly what I was trying to say. Sometimes it's so hard to get out the exact words you want to use cuz emotion gets in the way. You're a doll!!

chiKin