Word Of Wisdom

Latter Days Guy

As you may know, I'm a returning member to the Church and a few things are still not clear to me at the moment. One of these questions is about the Word of Wisdom.

Let's start with what I don't do. Well I don't smoke, take drugs, drink tea/coffee and when I started to regain my testimony of the Church I have stopped drinking alchol. So you may say that I've got all the bases covdered, but I have one thing that is really confusing me as I read online and remember back those many years ago when I was active in the Church previously. Well all those years ago I was told we don't drink things like coke and pepsi because they contain caffeine, and I abstained. Since I've been looking into the Church again I've found that attitudes have changed, on the net it says on some websites that drinking soft drinks like coke is not breaaking the word of wisdom. :hmmm:

So does drinking coke break the Word of Wisdom? I know that it may, well does sound like a really trivial matter but it has been going around in my head for a while and I just wanted to get a final answer :blush:

As you may know, I'm a returning member to the Church and a few things are still not clear to me at the moment. One of these questions is about the Word of Wisdom.

Let's start with what I don't do. Well I don't smoke, take drugs, drink tea/coffee and when I started to regain my testimony of the Church I have stopped drinking alchol. So you may say that I've got all the bases covdered, but I have one thing that is really confusing me as I read online and remember back those many years ago when I was active in the Church previously. Well all those years ago I was told we don't drink things like coke and pepsi because they contain caffeine, and I abstained. Since I've been looking into the Church again I've found that attitudes have changed, on the net it says on some websites that drinking soft drinks like coke is not breaaking the word of wisdom. :hmmm:

So does drinking coke break the Word of Wisdom? I know that it may, well does sound like a really trivial matter but it has been going around in my head for a while and I just wanted to get a final answer :blush:

Hi BG...I think I can answer that for you....a couple years ago I had the chance to speak to Elder Oaks of the first presidency of the Seventy. This was a question I asked him....I specifically asked if it was now okay for members to drink cola related products and soft drinks....He said this question had been coming up for the past year and he was to tell the members it was okay...but to remember "all things in moderation". I then asked why it was okay to drink cola which has caffine in it as opposed to coffee/tea which also have caffine....he siad, "It's not the caffine in coffee...it's the other harmful things like tanic acid etc.". He said that, "Soft drinks such as Coke were never on the Word of Wisdom list....it has just been assumed by members that because cola drinks and coffee/tea have caffine that they should be banned too". So, I can say without a doubt Coke and Pepsi products do not violate the Word of Wisdom...however some members choose not to drink them because they were taught at an early age it was wrong....We had cans of Pepsi mixed in with our Juice drinks etc. in the ice chests at our last ward BBQ.....hope that helps!

HERE is a collection of quotes on colas. True, they do not violate the Word of Wisdom, though caffiene is harmful if not used in moderation (as with so many things). The sugar in them should be enough to make most limit their use. :sparklygrin:

Thanks for the quotes.....I think at this point it's a personal choice, as stated in the quotes it's not a sin or against the Word of Wisdom....and if you choose to drink cola drinks just do it in moderation and you'll be safe....it's up to you. On a side note, I like Pepsi and drink one everyday at lunch...I don't feel I've sinned.

I am one of those Mormons that does not drink soft drinks with caffeine. I will not go into the fine reasons - I do not care to argue the points or put any one down that drinks soft drinks with caffeine. I am the only member of my family that does not drink caffeine drinks.

What is really funny about this is when ever there is a company party and they ask about drinks I ask for plenty of soft drinks without caffeine or soda. They always break down and order a few - just for me but every body else says they do not want them. Come the party it is always my soft drinks without caffeine or soda that go first - often they are gone before I get any. I always make fun about people that make fun of my choice of drinks and then perfer mine over theirs. If you perfer other drinks then by $$###$@@# drink yours and leave mine alone. :(

The Traveler

I have heard members of the Quorum of the 12 say all things in moderation and back in the early days when the query for the Word of Wisdom was pondered and answered... carbonated sodas weren't even invented yet.

The concern isn't for the soda itself, but again like it has been spoken before its the acids that are in the sodas that produce harmful effects for the body.

Shoot, I know members that do have a glass of wine with their dinner. That doesn't mean they are bad church members, it just means they simply have a glass of wine with dinner. And when I speak of wine... it is strictly fermented grapes or other fruits. No additives.

Just my 2 pence

Shoot, I know members that do have a glass of wine with their dinner. That doesn't mean they are bad church members, it just means they simply have a glass of wine with dinner. And when I speak of wine... it is strictly fermented grapes or other fruits. No additives. Just my 2 pence

What in the world do you think fermented grapes are? It is wine. It is alcoholic. It is not to be drunk! Those members that are drinking it should not be. They are not obeying the WofW. Drinking Near Beer is against the WofW too, as is de-caffinated coffee/tea.

What is so difficult about obeying the Word Of Wisdom? What makes it so hard to do? Is it because people are so juvenile that they have to do what they are told not to do, that they have to rebel and do the opposite? When your children do that you discipline them and punish them. Guess what :excl: Father is going to discipline you and punish you too :excl:

I don't have a reference for this, but my Husband told me that for every 12 oz. bottle of carbonated soft drink that you consume you lose 24 oz of water from your body.

For years I have drank anywhere from 1 to 12- 12 oz. cans of soda a day. For years I have been having muscle cramps. In my feet, legs, just under my shoulder blades, my midriff and even my chest :wow: .

Then I marry Dear Husband, he is concerned over the amount of sodas I drink and my cramping. I was taking potassium to stop the cramps too - wasn't working. He asked me to stop the sodas and drink water/kool-aid/ Crystal Lite instead. Within a week the cramps stopped.

Now if I have just one soda with lunch - I will cramp up by the time I get home from work and unless I drink at least a quart of water - I will continue to cramp during the night. Ohhh, how I hate cramp up foot that resembles CHICKEN FOOT!!

As for the caffeine - it isn't good for you either. It thins the blood, that is why aspirin stops headaches. It is the caffeine. It is a stimulant. I really hate to see the kids drinking those power drinks. They are all caffeine and suger's.

I dearly love Coke. Classic Coke. I can drink an entire 12 pack in one day. I do try not to drink any sodas - if I do, I make sure that they are caffeine free. :( No Coke of any kind though. When I go out to eat in this town, I don't drink the water - it tastes horrible. I drink lemonade and ask for a bottle of water so that I can dilute the lemonade.

What in the world do you think fermented grapes are? It is wine. It is alcoholic. It is not to be drunk! Those members that are drinking it should not be. They are not obeying the WofW. Drinking Near Beer is against the WofW too, as is de-caffinated coffee/tea.

First, don't lecture me on what alcholic beverages are. I am a cordial maker and I will answer to Heavenly Father without your help in the judgment zone and you don't have any right to tell another member of the Church what they should and should not be doing. We ALL have our imperfections, so let us work on our misgivings in our time.

What is so difficult about obeying the Word Of Wisdom? What makes it so hard to do? Is it because people are so juvenile that they have to do what they are told not to do, that they have to rebel and do the opposite? When your children do that you discipline them and punish them. Guess what :excl: Father is going to discipline you and punish you too :excl:

Being juvenile has nothing to do it. I really do take offense that you are making judgement calls for Heavenly Father. You have no right to say WHO Heavenly Father is going to discipline and punish. That is not for you to decide. YOU may not like wines, coffees, teas, etc but some people still have their imperfections to work on. As I will continue to work on my battle of compulsive eating

I don't have a reference for this, but my Husband told me that for every 12 oz. bottle of carbonated soft drink that you consume you lose 24 oz of water from your body.

For years I have drank anywhere from 1 to 12- 12 oz. cans of soda a day. For years I have been having muscle cramps. In my feet, legs, just under my shoulder blades, my midriff and even my chest :wow: .

Then I marry Dear Husband, he is concerned over the amount of sodas I drink and my cramping. I was taking potassium to stop the cramps too - wasn't working. He asked me to stop the sodas and drink water/kool-aid/ Crystal Lite instead. Within a week the cramps stopped.

Congratulations. You made a choice that worked out for you and you conquered a habit that wasn't conducive to your beliefs.

I think in the end, Heavenly Father would rather have us piddly little habits than become sons and daughters of perdition.

I agree with dancergirl on the addiction thing. for some it may be fine, but if it is an addiction and contorling how you live your life (i.e. have to have some every day at certian times) then it is breaking the word or wisdom.

I view caffeine as a medication, much like asprin, and this is what i teach my children. it isn't bad, but must be careful. i consumed very little caffeine growing up because of this view, in college i had an exam i couldn't miss and a really bad cold. i took some cold medicine with caffeine to stay awake, which i had never done. because my body wasn't used to the caffeine it made me worse, my eyes dialated, my head spun, my hands shook. i was in such bad shape my instructor promised me a make up test and sent me home, even wanted to call a cab so i wouldn't drive. (probably didn't beleive it was only caffeine i was on) LOL :) now i use coke like medicine, if i can't fall asleep for some reason then i have a few sips every 1/2 hour, i feel the effects almost imeadiatly. it's got my attention, it has an effect on the body weither we admit it or not. it may not be a comandment, but do we have to be commanded to follow a suggestion? however, though i drink non caffeinated sodas, sodas in general are bad for you, there are a lot of acids in them, we use them to get pine sap from the trees off our windshields. i have a friend who drank sodas constantly and his dentist said it was eating the enamal off his teath. moderation is my opinion.

as for the wine, it is a commandment. i have seen loved ones die from the effects of alcholism. no room for moderation in my book, follow the commandments.

Hey Almom! , I had a bad reaction to some painkillers that had caffeine in them when I was attending the LDS church, because I hadn't drunk any caffeinated drinks for more than a year...I got the shakes and was really giddy..laughing and crying at the same time..ended up having to take time off school cos of it!!

as for the wine, it is a commandment. i have seen loved ones die from the effects of alcholism. no room for moderation in my book, follow the commandments.

I have to differ with this comment. It is not a commandment but revelation without constraint. D&C 89:2

Don't want to seem nicky picky, but too many things that have been said by the General Authorities have been taken out of their original context and put into commandment form.

Are not revelations commandments?

They are things God is commanding us to do.. true?

Is that not what a commandment is?

The commandments of old were also revelations.

I am sorry but there is a major difference between the two words, and not all revelations were commandments. For example- The entire book of Revelations was just that... the foretelling of events to happen in order to prepare for the 2nd coming. I have yet to see in the Book of Revelations that these events are "commanded" to happen but are going to happen without Heavenly Father's say because of how wicked the world is going to truly become.

A revelation is an act of revealing to view or making known

A commandment is a directive that is given authoritatively

D&C 89:2 2: "To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation "

A revelation is an act of revealing to view or making known

A commandment is a directive that is given authoritatively

D&C 89:2 2: "To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation "

But the WoW is considered commandment by the Church; that's why it can keep you from getting a Temple recommend. :hmmm:

I see drunkenness spoken against in the Bible but we also know that Jesus drank wine and I remember a verse saying drinking wine to calm a stomach or something like that. I understand what you are saying about possible devastating affects from alc. though.

Dr. T

Shoot, I know members that do have a glass of wine with their dinner. That doesn't mean they are bad church members, it just means they simply have a glass of wine with dinner. And when I speak of wine... it is strictly fermented grapes or other fruits. No additives.

Just my 2 pence

Really - no other additives?

Do these wine drinking acquaintances of yours make their own wine or do they remove the sugars, tanins, acids and minerals that are added into purchased wines?