President Monson one of the 10 most admired men in the world

JudoMinja

Of course, since the poll was conducted in the US there was likely relatively few Buddhists participating. I think a more likely explanation would be that any LDS respondents would focus their response on their leader, who obviously figures largely in their lives, than non LDS respondents who might spread their choices over a larger group of people. There are one or two people I admire on the list but most would not make my top ten...again based on my worldview but then that's what polls are generally about.

I thanked this post because I appreciate this softer stance. Just curious, are your top 2 on this list?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The likely reason for his inclusion in the list is probably Mormons overloading the voting system which is also likely USA based.

I find it surprising that the leader of such an insignificant sect would feature so highly and would have to know how the sampling was done.

It wasn't really that hard to google:

Results for this USA Today/Gallup poll are based on telephone interviews conducted Dec. 15-18, 2011, with a random sample of 1,019 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

Landline telephone numbers are chosen at random among listed telephone numbers. Cell phone numbers are selected using random-digit-dial methods. Landline respondents are chosen at random within each household on the basis of which member had the most recent birthday.

So, in total honesty, I'm sort of surprised myself. I echo your mild surprise at the results. I would suggest one reason that might explain things: Mormonism rocks, and Thomas S. Monson sticks in people's minds as a guy who is good at bringing the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ to a country thirsty to hear such things, and somehow not filled by just watching Tebow.

• 4 weeks later...