President Monson one of the 10 most admired men in the world

JudoMinja

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be interesting to know the religious affiliation for those who picked religious leaders.

Me too!

But, if you think about the statistical probability sampling, there's not that many LDS people as there are Catholics or Evangelicals. So, it's really really interesting that Pres. Monson is right there with them!

Well the raw data would be interesting, for instance if LDS, Catholic, and Baptists all picked the same person but say Athiests or other protestants divided things out you could get a 'minor' pick coming out in the top ten on a pure numbers basis. Though if that was the case it would be interesting so either way it's interesting (though I suppose in a different way) That said, I doubt there was a 1 correlation between saying President Monson and being LDS and as such I suspect non-LDS picked him.

Edited by Dravin

Well the raw data would be interesting, for instance if LDS, Catholic, and Baptists all picked the same person but say Athiests or other protestants divided things out you could get a minor pick (in raw numbers basis) coming out in the top ten on a pure numbers basis. Though if that was the case it would be interesting so either way it's interesting (though I suppose in a different way) That said, I doubt there was a 1 correlation between saying President Monson and being LDS and as such I suspect non-LDS picked him.

Excellent point, Dravin!

Who would you have picked?

I might not have picked Pres. Monson. I probably would have picked Tim Tebow. Only because of the way he rose above all challenges he faced last year. I kinda have a soft spot for the guy because he was born and spent his early years in the Philippines and still continues to do lots of good work there.

Who would you have picked?

I probably wouldn't have responded to the poll honestly. If you're asking me now I'd probably not pick a national figure unless that's a condition of the question. I tend to look closer to home for people to honestly admire* (as opposed to the more superficial stuff that leads to comments like, "The guy has moxie, I admire him for that"). My father, other male relatives, some of the people involved in my reactivation, and I could probably think of others. I just tend to look closer for those kind of things instead of further out. When I do look further out it tends to be historical figures.

*Or at least those are who come to mind first.

Edited by Dravin

My understanding, from the limited information provided in the article, is that poll participants were selecting who they thought was the current most influential figure world-wide. While I tend to look closer to home myself in picking people I've found influential, these are people who influenced me specifically and not necessarily the world. I have no idea who I would pick if I had taken the poll... It may have been Pres. Monson, Obama, or someone else... I know if I'd taken the poll and been taking the questions seriously, I would have ended up doing some research to make my decision, because I really don't keep up to date with current world events.

Here's the link to the gallup poll page, with results. From the writeup, it seems the question was this (underlines in original):

What man that you have heard or read about, living today in any part of the world, do you admire most? And who is your second choice?

Thomas Monson was 10th in the list, between Bill Gates (9th) and Tim Tebow (11th). It was his first top 10 finish, but not the first listing: that was in the 2008 poll. Full results are in the writeup.

Edited by LittleWyvern

Good information LW

Here is another link to a non-church sire.

Obama, Clinton top most-admired lists for 2011 ? USATODAY.com

Remember that this is a USAToday poll, so not exactly scientific or objective, and only representative of the US for the most part...at best.

Still, congratulations to President Monson for making it in at #10. He has been moving up :-)

-RM

• 1 month later...

Brigham Young: "When the spirit of persecution, the spirit of hatred, or wrath, and malice ceases in the world against this people, it will be the time that this people have apostatized and joined hands with the wicked."

Gordon B. Hinckley: "Ours is the blessing to live in a better season. The terrible persecutions of the past are behind us. Today we are looked upon with respect by people across the world."

I suspect that most of the world has never heard of Monson. The likely reason for his inclusion in the list is probably Mormons overloading the voting system which is also likely USA based.

The voting system? The poll was conducted by a random telephone survey. And yes, it was a US based poll.

Linky: Top Most Admired List

Note that President Monson made the list with a 1% mention rate, so while he made the top 10 it's not like it was by an overwhelming mention rate.

Edited by Dravin