So many religions--why is yours right?

I believe my Catholic faith is wrong, and always has been. That is why I am converting to the only true church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I think one major reason I am converting is because I believe in modern day prophets (among other things). My hope is to be a member by the summer, if not sooner. :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I served in Germany over twenty years ago as a full time missionary of the church, I found those 17 points and studied them. I don't disagree with them, but they should, in my own opinion, never be used to prove truth. Even the bible cannot prove truth. It can only testify. It is a witness, like the Book of Mormon (a second witness) of Jesus Christ and all the prophets. Only the Holy Ghost proves and converts. I do believe that most, if not all churches and religions have truth and light. It is my conviction, however, that only one has the fullness of the gospel including divine and continuing revelations.

Edited by skalenfehl

The OP was 'religion', now it said, 'right' religion, yet the Scriptures speak of pure religion.

Almost everyone would want to believe they were in a right religion. How many would care to serve in pure religion?

Thanks for making me think about that verse. Lots to ponder on.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi PrisionChaplain.

Yorgason, Blaine and Brenton. The Greatest Quest Deseret Book Company. Salt Lake City: 1987.

page 180 "With so many churches not having the completely correct gospel of Jesus Christ, how could an individual find the true church? Fortunately, the Bible can help answer this question. Just as an architect's plans for building are specific, and are exactly right for only one structure, so also are God's plans for His true church. He has said, "Straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto [eternal] life, and few there be that find it.' (Matthew 7:14.) However, a careful reading of the Bible will clearly identify specific characteristics of Christ's true church."

If you would like send me a message and I can send you scanned copies of the pages of the 42 points from the book.

Author's Note

Shortly after the beginning of World War Two, Floyd Weston and four of his college friends set out on a quest to find the one true Church of Jesus Christ. Armed with a list of seventeen points that they had compiled, they began visiting different churches, searching. Although later separated from each other by the war, in the next few years for of the five young men, by differing routes and under varying circumstances, found and joined one particular religious denomination. The fifth didn't join because he had been killed in the South Pacific.

This book is the fictionalized account of that quest.

I think it is prudent to point out that for over a thousand years, Christianity had the same caveat that Islam does now: one had to learn the language to understand. In this case, Latin.

The Bible was solely in Latin for hundreds of years (minus the Aramaic origin of a few of the texts) and in the sole possession of the Catholic church. Comparatively speaking it has only recently been translated into other languages. Islam is about 700 years younger than Christianity.

Only in the western church. The eastern Catholic churches have always used either a translation in the vernacular, (The Chaldeans use Aramaic, for example) or the original Greek Septuagint. As important as the Latin Vulgate is in the west, the Catholic Church has never had just one "official" translation of Sacred Scripture.

I think I found my answer in a singer's monologue tonight. At the end of the song, "To Obey is Better Than Sacrifice," he says:

1. Going to church a lot doesn't make you anymore a Christian than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger

2. Praying doesn't make you a Christian. People pray in all religions.

3. Praying to Jesus doesn't make you a Christian because on the Day of Judgment many will say, "Lord Lord" and Jesus will tell them to depart because he never knew them

4. Practicing the gifts of the Spirit (or pretending to practice them) doesn't make you a Christian because on the Day of Judgement many will come saying, "Jesus did we not heal the sick, cast out demons, raise the dead in your name?" and he will tell them to depart because he never knew them.

So, what made the true Christians in his view?

It was those who were bananas for Jesus!

Who loved the Lord their God with everything, and loved their neighbors as themselves.

So, what made the true Christians in his view?

It was those who were bananas for Jesus!

Who loved the Lord their God with everything, and loved their neighbors as themselves.

So its the Jesus freaks who win. :lol:

I appreciate the last bit....loving self and others (using the lengthy definition of charity) is what it's really about.

And I have no issue with there being one universal God that is governing all (referring to the OP). Sometimes I think we get stuck in our human view and assume God is only governing over those who believe in Him or in the correct definitions of Him. But I tend to think that His agenda is a lot bigger than we sometimes think. In the LDS teachings, there will be many who will be saved during the Millenium who are not LDS. I really do think God is looking for character growth. The ordinances are pretty easy to take care of otherwise.

• 1 month later...

PC, i have many memories of my mission in Florida of people pointing out scriptures in the bible stating things like "...God, the highest God".. Sometimes Christ being called "Lord of Lords" which isnt exactly the same thing.. But i specifically remember Deut 10:17. Whats your opinion of this scripture? Is this to say our God is the highest of other gods? Or is it saying our God is the only God?

I believe my Catholic faith is wrong, and always has been. That is why I am converting to the only true church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I think one major reason I am converting is because I believe in modern day prophets (among other things). My hope is to be a member by the summer, if not sooner. :)

The Catholic Church does have modern prophets. Just not in the same way that the LDS Church sees it. A prophet is one, inspired by the Holy Spirit, who calls people to faithfulness and repentence. Only occasionally will the Prophet's job require any sort of future prediction.

I once did a class project for colege and we found 2 modern day prophets- didn't have to be Catholic. I did Anne Frank and John Howard Griffin (wrote Black Like Me) Both had a message to give others. Sometimes Prophets need to be found throughout time.

The Catholic Church does have modern prophets. Just not in the same way that the LDS Church sees it. A prophet is one, inspired by the Holy Spirit, who calls people to faithfulness and repentence. Only occasionally will the Prophet's job require any sort of future prediction.

In LDS terminology, a prophet is one who speaks for God through specific divine commission. Anne Frank and John Howard Griffin may indeed have had valuable insights to offer, but they were not prophets, at least not the sense that Latter-day Saints use the word.

In LDS terminology, a prophet is one who speaks for God through specific divine commission. Anne Frank and John Howard Griffin may indeed have had valuable insights to offer, but they were not prophets, at least not the sense that Latter-day Saints use the word.

That is why I said they were not like LDS lol. It is the Catholic viewpoint. and Anne Frank and John Howard Griffing were 2 that I picked to make prophets through their writtings and actions.

Sorry I was not clear

Are we not all to be a prophetic people? Receiving for ourselves the infilling of the Holy Spirit into our minds and lives. I understand about the office of prophet . Yet we all have the calling to receive our own personal revelation of any words given.

When competing of who's right among religions, it can set us all up for failure, as looking at one another, instead of looking to Jesus as our example and our Lord.

I have read some thoughts from an islam site that was more moral than could be found in some so called christian sites. Some churches today have become so liberal that it is embarrassing.

PC, i have many memories of my mission in Florida of people pointing out scriptures in the bible stating things like "...God, the highest God".. Sometimes Christ being called "Lord of Lords" which isnt exactly the same thing.. But i specifically remember Deut 10:17. Whats your opinion of this scripture? Is this to say our God is the highest of other gods? Or is it saying our God is the only God?

My understanding is that the prophets of Israel believed in only one true and living God. The others were made of wood, stone, and precious metals, but could not hear and could not see--much less act. The prophets often mocked them, and urged their people to quit "whoring after false gods."

So...count me amongst the strict monotheists--I see these verses declaring our God to be the one and only.

When you are talking to another out side the church trying to teach them and all you show them is words from the Book of Mormon sometimes I think it makes it harder for them to understand cause we were brought up there is only one book and that's the...KJV I just feel if people of our church could read and point to some of the new comers questions directly from the Bible it would help them to see better. Yes i do beleive in the Book of Mormon, but they never heard of it and have a hard time digesting a book written by someone else other than the bible. Seeing God when the Bible says no one has ever laid eyes on God. Not many times in my studies with the missionary's did they refer to the Bible. I found that to be rather odd and almost turned away just for that reason. For myself I have had enough experience with other religions that I knew more of the pieces of the puzzle fit together with what was being taught to me. For some they don't have that insight and only have been brought into GOD'S word through the KJV. I still feel like the Mormon's need to refere to the BIBLE MORE OFTEN than they do because that is what people know and I feel they would understand and not argue with you if you show them directly from the Bible. Trying to beleive a young boy saw Jesus and Jesus talked to him is hard on people who never heard that before then quoting from the Book of Mormons makes it harder for them. So personally I always refere to the bible as much as possible until that person can understand the book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. It's hard for them to see that so be gentle when dealing with people who have never heard of the book.

Yes, I agree with you, that more Bible scriptures use is great. I have had much experience with wonderful sharing with members of other faiths. Usually though I have found that many really know almost nothing about the Bible either. :(

--- Quite a lot view church as a social organization to entertain them. :( I appreciate the churches that get their people into the scriptures, and also teach them to be respectful of others beliefs.

--- I also know that it is possible to have different understandings of what the same scripture means. I even heard of one man, when he was shown in his own bible the teaching the church had, and he didn't see any way to deny it-- he was SO UPSET, that he actually ripped the page right out of his bible! He said "Well it isn't in my bible anymore!"

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still" :(

It seems to work best if we listen first to them, seeking to understand, and then see if they are willing to listen to what we have that they might like to hear.

Some are so closed minded, that it only makes them more closed. This Bible scripture might be of help to some of those who believe, that if it isn't written in the Bible about Jesus, that it didn't happen. :(

John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

I know LDS have a strong attachment to the KJV but as far as I can tell the majority of other Christians do not. If your going to witness to people then I think it makes sense to speak in their native language and the KJV has long ceased to be a true reflection of modern English. Like Shakespear it is can be beautifull to listen to and evocative of the divine but it often no longer communicates clearly to people.

I read the NIV most of the time but read the Message to my sons because for young ears it really gets the bible message across.

Edited by AnthonyB

Sometimes the hard thing to reconcile is:

1) God loving all His children and working with them all

and

2) Authority to teach and baptize in His name.

Can He give authority to one group without excluding the others?

Does including all groups take away the importance of authority within one group?

Prisonchaplain is probably the reason I found the faith to post on this forum. He always has a good clear thought on things. I appreciate that.

Coming from a background that is RLDS, some forums will not allow me to be considered a christian.

And I really don't know what LDS consider me either, Yet they have been so kind on this forum. That speaks volumes about their faith and church.

So Herber, what you post is helpful to me, as I learn how you are growing in your faith.

Many blessings to all on this beautiful Lord's day.

• 5 weeks later...

I considered putting this in the LDS Gospel section, because it could fit. However, my answer is broad, encompassing all Christian faith groups--so, here is my thought.

In today's world the only kind of God that might be relevant would be a single, universal one. Why?

If there are many gods, then they are not all-powerful. They are some kind of species or creature, and I can likely leave them to battle each other.

So, if there is only one God, and He cares to relate with his creation, this God would likely make himself known throughout his world. He would not, over time, limit himself to one people or language.

Yet, of the large monothesistic religions, only Christianity fits this mold. Judaism self-identifies as a religion for its tribe. Rabbis are actually instructed to initially dissuade proselytes three times. Islam, while it can be "missionary," can only be well understood in Arabic. One of the first tasks of a sincere convert to Islam would be to learn the language, so s/he could read the actual Qur'an. All "translations" are deemed paraphrases, and not considered actual scripture.

Yes, there are thousands of religions, and multiple thousands of sects and denominations. However, because of the its monotheism and its universal, missionary appeal, I quickly conclude that Christianity is the most likely expression of the Creator's appeal to his creation.

Thoughts?

From time to time I will tutor a student of math and science in my area. I prefer to do this as a service but from time to time some insist on paying me - I think to insure that I will continue as long as they wish to be taught and not for as long as I may wish to help.

I have discovered a rather interesting thing about many that pursue learning. I will not call it lazy but in essence it is. They only want to learn what the must to get by - just enough to justify that they are right. They want to quit and think they are done with a problem. Sometimes they even get upset when I go back an show errors in their methods because they have an answer that matches the "correct" answer in the back of their book.

And so PC I will point out a flaw in your thinking. Not because I think I am right and you are wrong - we both know your heart is better (right) than mine. The problem is that it appears to me that in you rhetorical method you started with a preconceived answer and then went on a "witch hunt" to find excuses to justify your conclusion. I am not saying your conclusion is wrong so much as your method.

I really doubt that you would consider becoming a Hindu, Buddhist, Mormon or any other religion other than the one you have accepted. You really are not looking. Rather I suspect that deep down you actually believe that to honestly consider something other than the Christianity that you love; would be an act of rebellion and heresy.

Therefore, if you cannot accept any other G-d other than the one you think you know - you will not find much beyond that which you are looking for. Jesus counseled that we will only find what we are looking for. If you are not looking it is likely you will not find much to change your mind.

The Traveler

Traveler, you thought is a fair assessment. I will certainly grant you that I believe I have the right answer, and so give great favor to data that supports that answer. Then again, most devout practioners of any faith system suppose they are right in what they believe and do. The question we might all rightly ask--one the Traveler has hinted at often in this pages--is whether or not, faced with the absolute truth by Messiah, would we humbly surrender our preconceptions?

PC,

Great question. Jesus said in John 10

He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.

So our aim should be able to hear his voice, then we would follow Him no matter where He leads us. Maybe we currently see dimly, so that we may learn to listen to his voice instead? (We read that verse in church on Sunday and it really made me remember, that it has to be more then just doing right and not doing wrong but really knowing Jesus.)

Edited by AnthonyB

PC,

Great question. Jesus said in John 10

He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.

So our aim should be able to hear his voice, then we would follow Him no matter where He leads us. Maybe we currently see dimly, so that we may learn to listen to his voice instead? (We read that verse in church on Sunday and it really made me remember, that it has to be more then just doing right and not doing wrong but really knowing Jesus.)

What is his "voice"? In the parable of the Good Samaritan - I believe that Jesus hints that his voice can even come from the religion espousing most corrupt doctrine of his day. Therefore - I submit that those that cannot here "the voice" of Christ among the Buddhists, Hindu, Muslims or even the Pagans - that they are just as likely to not be able to identify "his voice" in their own faith or for that matter, any where else.

The Traveler

Traveller,

I'd agree that you can hear echoes of the voice of Jesus outside of Christianity or Christians. Ghandhi is a classic example of a man, who although not within the visible church on earth yet often spoke truth and at times clearly spoke words that reflected Jesus better then many Christians. I simultaneously hope the grace of God is wider then I can imagine but also maintain that we are called upon to speak the truth Jesus spoke regardless of how unpopular it may be. (eg No one can came to the Father but by me)