Jesus was born on April 6! Not.

Vort

I don't know why it was added in brackets, but it's still there on the official church website quoting Pres. Hinckley.

News of the Church - Ensign Feb. 1998 - ensign

Probably because President Hinckley bought into the common (but false) wisdom of the Mormon folklore that proclaims Jesus was born on April 6. Unless you believe God took the trouble of revealing Jesus' birthday to the prophet, who subsequently passed on that divine revelation to the rest of us.

If you haven't already, you should read the Deseret News article. Extremely illuminating.

Time for my annual posting of this Deseret News article, which suggests that (of all things) Christmas day is much more likely to be Christ's mortal birthday than April 6.

I always thought Christmas day was selected by theologians because it was the winter equinox, the shortest day (longest night) of the year, in order to symbolize our coming out of darkness as the increasing light of Christ filled each day into spring and summer.

I always thought Christmas day was selected by theologians because it was the winter equinox, the shortest day (longest night) of the year, in order to symbolize our coming out of darkness as the increasing light of Christ filled each day into spring and summer.

More likely it was selected because it was previously considered important for the religions Christianity displaced in Europe. Consider "Yuletide", a pagan holiday that was co-opted ( Yule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). You can see this connection in Swedish and Norwegian where the word for Christmas is Jul and as just mentioned in English's 'Yuletide greetings' and 'Yule logs'.

Edited by Dravin

What happened to the spring time birth date due to the shepherds being in the fields with their flocks?

I thought that was pretty well established even outside the Church.

Not that it matters to anyones salvation, but it is an interesting topic.

What happened to the spring time birth date due to the shepherds being in the fields with their flocks?

I thought that was pretty well established even outside the Church.

Not that it matters to anyones salvation, but it is an interesting topic.

Shepherds were out almost the whole year round, exceptions being shearing and lambing.