Custover service: live person vs phone

NadiaStar

Who should receive your attention at the office?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who should receive your attention at the office?

• Never let the phone keep ringing!
    • Respect the person waiting at your desk!
    • A respectful balance

Got to talking about this in an office meeting this morning as we debated whether to focus on the living person present or someone who makes a phonecall. Prior to this meeting we would ignore phone calls to focus on the person at our desks, but who knows what it'll be in the future?

Balance should be struck. If you are helping a customer/client, politely excuse yourself to answer the phone, then inform the caller you're with a customer and place them on hold. If you're on the phone, politely pull away for a moment to inform the person at your desk that you'll be with them as soon as you're done on the phone.

It should be a matter of who is on the phone or who is in front of you; it should be a matter of who you were helping first. It's pretty easy.

I second what Wingnut said. If I had to pick, I'd say the customer in front of me--though I would never hang up on anyone whom with I was already on the phone. I have had incidents where I let the caller go to my answering machine while I gave the confused/angry/lost/clueless Scoutmaster at my desk 110% of my attention.

I've always wondered how someone gives more than 100% :) If you are giving someone your full attention that would be 100% How do you give more?

As long as you have a customer service number they are also a customer. You do have to find a balance between the phone customer and the walk in customer. I totally agree with what Wingers said.

The extra 10% is when you start pulling in surrounding coworkers who don't want to be involved into the situation. It involves synergy.

I read somewhere that most callers are perfectly fine in agreeing to be put on hold for a few minutes, so it's unlikely you'll offend someone by asking them to wait while you finished with Customer #1. They just like to be acknowledged.

In my aforementioned incidents, however, it's not worth upsetting Generic Confused Scoutmaster further by doing something like taking a phone call. It's a rare incident, but I've learned to spot them. What's nice is my office allows us to "steal" others' phone calls and we are pretty good about watching each other, so usually someone can help the caller if so-n-so isn't in a position to answer the phone.

The extra 10% is when you start pulling in surrounding coworkers who don't want to be involved into the situation. It involves synergy.

But that's not giving the customer more of YOUR attention. It's just involving others to where the customer is getting the attention of your coworkers.

When I read the title, I thought this was going to be a poll about whether we prefer talking to a machine or a person when we make a call to customer service. :) To that- I was going to have an answer like "it depends". There are some things I can call about that get done faster with a machine, and then there are certain things where I really just want to talk to a person.

As to the actual question- I support the idea that there needs to be balance. But most importantly, I believe that anyone on the phone that had to leave a message needs to have someone get back to them within 24-hours. I've had several offices that I would call and always have to leave a message and they'd never get back to me. Sooooo irritating. I wouldn't mind leaving a message if somebody would actually call me back. So, as long as you can do that and you aren't just hanging up on someone you're already talking to, I'd give the walk-in customer more attention than those on the phone.

When I read the title, I thought this was going to be a poll about whether we prefer talking to a machine or a person when we make a call to customer service. :) To that- I was going to have an answer like "it depends". There are some things I can call about that get done faster with a machine, and then there are certain things where I really just want to talk to a person.

Yeah, if it's something handled efficiently by an automated system, such as checking an account balance a machine may be preferable. Though such routine tasks are becoming increasingly handled online. If I've got an actual problem that needs addressed though I want a live person on the other end.

As to the actual question- I support the idea that there needs to be balance. But most importantly, I believe that anyone on the phone that had to leave a message needs to have someone get back to them within 24-hours.

I would say within the next business day. You call a business that's closed on the weekends three hours after closing time on Friday night, don't expect a call before Monday.

I would say within the next business day. You call a business that's closed on the weekends three hours after closing time on Friday night, don't expect a call before Monday.

Good point. Yes, if I call on a weekend, I don't mind having to wait until Monday. :) So, within the next business day.

Heck, I'd say ASAP, especially if each employee has a personal phone that announces messages. At least, that's ideal for a smaller office.

But that's not giving the customer more of YOUR attention. It's just involving others to where the customer is getting the attention of your coworkers.

Well, I can only think of so many bogus math equations to make the 110% work! :P But yeah, you're right. But sometimes when a question involves knowledge beyond you, you need others involved.

110%, mathematically, is a real number.

But, when somebody says, I give it my 110%, they're not talking about the mathematical real number. It's a figure of speech meant to say they give it that extra level of commitment that is above and beyond what most people would consider 100% effort.

But, when somebody says, I give it my 110%, they're not talking about the mathematical real number. It's a figure of speech meant to say they give it that extra level of commitment that is above and beyond what most people would consider 100% effort.

So in other words, 110% of a standard effort. You're right though in that at that point it's less math and more idiom. Actually I think we should start using units of standard effort (much as one might use units of atmosphere). So we get:

Manager: Bob, I'm afraid you've only been putting in 0.75 standard efforts this week.

Bob: I know, it's been a hard week with my parents dying, me getting cancer, and my wife leaving me. I promise I'll be back to 1.25 standard efforts by next week.

Edited by Dravin

If you ignore your calls you could be losing potential business, but you need to take care of the clients/customers/patients that you have, as well. In my working days if the phone rang while I was taking care of someone, I'd politely excuse myself to answer and put the person on hold. If someone approached me while I was on the phone, I would make eye contact and smile to let them know I knew they were there, and if I was going to be more than a minute I'd verbally let them know, or in rare cases if I was on the phone with a colleague trying to work something out, I'd ask if I could call them back. I agree that it's the person who got to you first, but the next one should be cared for promptly.

Heck, I'd say ASAP, especially if each employee has a personal phone that announces messages. At least, that's ideal for a smaller office.

Nope. Not part of my job. If you wanna pay me for it, then I will consider taking work calls on my weekend or evenings at home. Otherwise, I believe people are more than happy and understanding that business hours typically end around 5 pm Mon-Fri.

Why isn't there is receptionist who is screening calls, sending them directly to your voice mail?

While you are busy with face to face client, your phone calls should be going directly to voice mail. Actually your phone should be programmed to go to voice mail when you are with a client, and not even ring.

When face to face client leaves - you return your voice mail calls in the order they have been received.

Worked for me as CSR for and Insurance Agency. We had a Do Not Disturb button on our phones. When activated, our calls went directly to Voice and never rang to interrupt us.

I second what Wingnut said. If I had to pick, I'd say the customer in front of me--though I would never hang up on anyone whom with I was already on the phone. I have had incidents where I let the caller go to my answering machine while I gave the confused/angry/lost/clueless Scoutmaster at my desk 110% of my attention.

+1

One thing that's important, even if you can't interrupt the conversation you're having at the moment, is to at least acknowledge the other person so they know they're not being ignored. Make eye contact, nod your head, or something like that. People are usually understanding of that.

I think a person there, in the flesh, can see that you need to answer a phone if it is ringing. A person on the phone cannot see that you are helping someone else. They seem to thing there is a room of people waiting to answer their call, so they shouldn't wait.

My thoughts, since I work as a recptionist and have done customer service for years and years:

Tell the person standing in front of you that you need to inform the person calling that there is someone ahead of them. Then answer the phone, tell them there is someone ahead of them and to please hold. Don't ask them to hols, politly tell them you will be right with them when you re finished with the person ahead ofthem. Then go back to the person you are helping.

If it is the other way, and you are on the phone when someone walks in, do the same only the other way around.

I know exactly what it means. It's just one of those things I find ridiculous to say. You have never had anything that just bugs you?

I know exactly what it means. It's just one of those things I find ridiculous to say. You have never had anything that just bugs you?

You should say "irregardless" around Beefche. :D

Edited by Dravin

And what does the receptionist do when faced with a live person and a phone person?

Ours are excellent at juggling the phone calls and holds--from what I have seen they simply put live person in there with a quick smile and an I'll be with you in a moment.