Question about a new policy

georgia2

Perhaps the Branch President (or perhaps even the Holy Spirit working through him) have some principle he wants to teach this couple. The husband is a new member, maybe it hasn't fully sunk in for him that they are tithed as individuals (a silly point now, but once they have kids with an allowance, I mean, that's coming from the already-tithed general fund, no need for the kids to pay). The OP didn't mention the wife's history. If she's been less-active or struggled with tithing in the past, I could see him giving her the opportunity to practice the principle herself. One takeaway would be "I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give", instead of "I do have value and contribute, why won't you let me show it?"

I side with Vort's earlier comment that Branch President should be supported here. If it really bugs her, she can ask him about it. But she also needs to be prepared to accept an answer like, "I don't know, I just think it will be a really good experience for you."

Huh. If I recall correctly, Sister Vort and I always get a single statement with both our names.

It used to be that you could group couples together as one donor, but a change in church financial software no longer allows that, each donor is treated as an individual. The past year's tithing settlement was the first one with the changes, if I recall correctly all statements were printed with just one name. (That's the case in my ward anyway, maybe not all units have the updated software.)

Edited by Saguaro

I think the couple needs to go back to the BP and ask why he wants it done this way. Maybe it is simply because of the church financial software that some have mentioned.

M.

And if the purpose is a lesson it'll help highlight it to have it explained. Nothing about sustaining leadership precludes honestly asking why something is being done the way it is.

My ward also just switched to separate donation sheets as of laste settlement.

This probably also explains the membership # space on donation slips.

I'm guessing it has to do more with the computer system than anything and I don't care what money is one who's slip at the end of the year. Like has been said I'm a full tithe paper and that's what matters.

In regard to the OP this is a very odd request, and the weekly thing makes it even odder to me. But I think it is, at worst, an innocent weirdness.

The original question was....the couple is under the impression they are suppose to do this...if their leader wants them to do this or is trying to teach them something I hope he states that. I guess I have a pet peeve here....drives me crazy when someone tries to pass something off as "policy".

Honestly, I am more concerned about the things the op wont mention due to confidentiality. There are no procedures that are confidential. Why would they be presented as such?

I'm not sure I understand where you are getting that. The OP didn't say anything about some policy or procedure that is confidential. She did say that she doesn't want to say more due to confidentiality and I took that to mean she doesn't want to compromise the confidentiality of her children.

Hey Guys THANKS ! for the input!

ok......... the new member, new husband does fill out the tithing slip with his name. The check is from her account since he can't figure figures and has no account of his own. (another story)

She hasn't yet changed her name and added his to her checks. (why pay for new ones when she has some already that need to be used)

They just got married on fathers day. He had been paying tithing by cash before. So the BP called him in and gave him those instructions. He had to pay with HIS OWN CHECK WITH HIS OWN NAME and it WOULD not include her name. She is a life long member but has been inactive. She did not understand why he told he told her to fill out a separate tithing slip that says ZERO each week.

He has been a full tithe payer since baptism several months ago. The other stuff he told them or asked them is so outrageous I don't want to put it on here because it would cause a crashed site! hahahah Stuff that makes me so upset I want to tell the SP but I don't as I feel that this is their situation and it would be wrong for me to step in. so some feed back on that one please ! hahahaha