Dog owners?

carlimac

LOLOL!!!!! Bichon Buzz! That's completely accurate! LOL!

You know, I'd say a Bichon Frise is better than a Labradoodle or any other whatever-doodle...

They can be difficult to potty train but not too bad if you do the crate training. My bichon is potty trained but he's a "marker". He has anxiety issues so he would mark and mark and mark all around his "space"... he wears a belly band so the pee ends up in the band and not on the spot he wants to mark so he would go around and around and around marking and marking. LOL!

I have to say - Bichons are quirky but they're super duper awesome cute loving crazy dogs. LOL!!!!!

Yeah, check them out! They will jog, and if you're too busy to jog, they'll be just happy doing their Bichon Buzz. LOL. They are lap dogs - so they can get really attached to people. They're small dogs - mine is about 18 lbs. but I saw a Bichon at the meet that was 25 lbs and taller than my dog! The dog doesn't shed. Needs grooming, of course. May need a little bit more vet than Golden Retrievers as they are prone to allergies and teeth problems. But a good dog food should lower that. I use Earthborn Holistics Primitive Natural (grain free) which is $47 for a 28lb bag and besides the yearly check-up my dog has been super healthy. He's 5 years old.

And here he is:

Posted Image

Isn't he super cute? LOL.

He is so cute! Lizzy is only 12 pounds. When we got her she weighed 8 pounds, but she had been abused and neglected. She was so sick when we first got her. She spent the first couple months sleeping. We had to be careful not to move our feet quickly around her- we think she had been kicked a lot :( We've had her for 6 years now. She is 11. She is our baby. I don't know what I'd do without her.

Edited by Irishcolleen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's BYB?

So you're basically saying it's unethical to get a Golden Doodle? To each his own.

You're going to do what you're going to do.

I was hoping you'd consider what I had said, having worked with PAWS for MANY years and seeing the consequences of BYBing.

Not to worry. We're doing our research. The ones we're checking out are "certified".

What's BYB?

So you're basically saying it's unethical to get a Golden Doodle? To each his own.

You're going to do what you're going to do.

I was hoping you'd consider what I had said, having worked with PAWS for MANY years and seeing the consequences of BYBing.

Let me add my 2 cents to this.

First off - a whatever-doodle dog is a mongrel. I'm not sure what carlimac means by "certified" - if she means AKC certified then whatever-doodles can't be certified as they are not AKC breeds.

There is, of course, different opinions on the matter, but mongrel dogs, regardless of whether the breed is created by a BYB or a well-intentioned dog enthusiast, is generally considered unethical if the intent is to breed-to-sell the dog.

The whatever-doodles started off with the Labradoodle. The purpose for the creation of the mix is very specific - the Royal Guide Dog of Australia needed a guide dog for a blind woman in Hawaii whose husband is allergic to dogs. The first consideration was to train a poodle to be a guide dog. But, the poodle breed consistently displayed a temperament that is not suited for guide dogs. As a result, as a last-ditch effort, they mixed a Labrador Retriever with a Poodle and one puppy out of the entire litter proved to be the perfect dog for the blind woman and her husband.

This is the interesting thing - out of all the puppies only 1 tested out to have the non-allergenic trait of a poodle and the temperament of the labrador.

After this effort became widely publicized, the for-profit breeders ran off with mass producing whatever-doodles - breeding and selling dogs as non-allergenic trade-offs without any benefit of testing. What happened is a mass explosion of unpredictable dog traits.

Now, if you really think about it, your "pure breds" started off with a mongrel somewhere up the line. So why is the whatever-doodles any different? The difference is in the breed development. What are considered "pure breeds" have a long history of careful, well-documented breed selection with one single purpose - to improve a dog's genetic trait. This is not the case with whatever-doodles. These breeding projects are mostly done to produce a "designer dog" that will sell to an unsuspecting public. Are there upstanding breeding projects for these dogs? Sure. But, trying to find the upstanding ones amidst the non-upstanding-even-if-well-intentioned ones is like finding a needle in a haystack.

The best way to deal with this problem is to stop buying these whatever-doodles in the hopes of clearing out the non-upstanding ones so that the few and far-between upstanding breeding projects can control the breed genetics to truly come up with a dog that is a positive contributor to the gene pool.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Edited by anatess

We're looking for a new dog after our sweet 12 yr old golden passed away last summer. As much as I love that breed, I'm not sure I want another one. Oh, the shedding! What kind do you have or would recommend?

We have 4 kids and a cat at home. We'd like something that is mid-size, non shedding (or minimal) and not prone to barking. Two of the girls are runners and would love a dog to run with.

Any ideas?

Springer Spaniel :D

You should try adopting a dog, mutts usually don't come with all the health problems of a pure breed.

I think that is true. I find pure bloods very high maintenance dogs.

This is actually not true. Pure breeds are simply mutts bred to have the most predictable dog trait - this includes health. For example, bichon frises are known to be susceptible to teeth problems, English Bulldogs are a train wreck of health issues, etc.

Mutts are not immune from health problems. It is merely that a mutt's health problems are unpredictable. For example, if you have a bichon frise mutt, you might not have the teeth problems that is common among bichons. But, you might have a train wreck of other health issues not common in bichons.

Pure breeds are only as high maintenance as the genetic disposition of the dog. Pure bred Labradors are low maintenance, pure bred English Bulldogs are ultra-high maintenance. And that's the reason we encourage pure breeds. You have a better idea of what you're getting into.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Please save a life and adopt a dog from a shelter. There are so many dogs euthanized every year at kill shelters! Why breed or buy from a breeder when there are so many homeless pets on death row...

Edited by Star_
+ signature

Shedding is something you want to avoid but, it has its positives if the dog is loyal and loving. We have a unusally quit sheltie when he is inside. We can purpously get him excited and he does bark..but as I states "purpously" by playing with him in a way. He was quiet pup in the little and very calm and walked up to us when the others were totally ignoring us. suprisingly, he did his first trick at nine weeks old so we picked him.

Other dogs you want loyalty so they do not take off. there are dog breed charts online that shows all the traits you can read. I like huskies most for there markings and personality but they are diggers and also, have a tendacy to eat everything. Ever try and pull a sock out of a dogs butt? :)

We have a huge mastiff/phyranies. He is a great dog but we are going to have to look at giving him away. My husband is unable to take care of him because of his rambunctiousness. lol. And he jjust knocks me down wanting to play. Still he is smart and very loving. lol he will love a cat to death wanting to play. Not on purpose at all.

He sheds like crazy. My advice is to not get one like ours unless you want ours? lol.

Any idea what he is? I'm thinking maybe Schnouzer/Yorkie?

In any case, he was adopted and then brought back the same day- one hour later. I walked in shortly after that. He was shaking in the kennel so I picked him up and he literally clung to me. I put him back after he calmed down and went home. Told the kids. They were insistant that I go back and get him. Called hubby on business out of the country. He laughed and said it was up to me. So the next morning I arrived when the doors opened and found out someone else had made arrangements to come get him but it was first come first serve so I snatched him. (Now I'm wondering if that was the wisest choice. Eek!) I'd forgotten how much work a puppy is. He is completely devoted to me and whines if I'm out of his sight. When a large teen boy neighbor came over to see him he growled and barked. I don't know if Brody may have been abused by a man. Not a good thing when DH comes home today. Anyway, my life is suddenly topsy turvy. I have SO much to do before Christmas. How do I get it all done with a new baby?

Edited by carlimac

Wow! Our shelter lets you take them home for good the very day you walk in. No questions asked- literally. I get the feeling they are just glad to be rid of any animal taken off thier hands.

Around here you wait a week -- prevents people from doing impulse shopping

Go to the local humane society and adopt a mutt -- good humane shelters can usually tell you which of their dogs are good with cats/children.

Look at the posts above. We adopted yesterday. He's great with children, loves me dearly, interested in the cat who wants nothing to do with him. He barks only at other dogs (himself in the mirror hahahah!) and men-he seems to be scared of them. My husband is returning from a business trip tonight. We'll see how it goes. He knows I did this but I don't think the bond will be immediate between them. Hubby likes bigger dogs-not wimpy, scared little things like this one. Brody is probably almost full grown at about 10 lbs. One big plus- he knows how to fetch a ball and bring it back which our Golden never got the hang of. She always wanted to keep the ball.

Look at the posts above. We adopted yesterday. He's great with children, loves me dearly, interested in the cat who wants nothing to do with him. He barks only at other dogs (himself in the mirror hahahah!) and men-he seems to be scared of them. My husband is returning from a business trip tonight. We'll see how it goes. He knows I did this but I don't think the bond will be immediate between them. Hubby likes bigger dogs-not wimpy, scared little things like this one. Brody is probably almost full grown at about 10 lbs. One big plus- he knows how to fetch a ball and bring it back which our Golden never got the hang of. She always wanted to keep the ball.

Oh! He's only 10 lbs full grown? Then he's not a Tibetan Terrier. Probably an Affenpinscher/Poodle mix (the face is an affenpinscher, the hair is not as wiry as affens but more soft like the poodles). These guys are usually sold as designer dogs named Affenpoos.

The protectiveness and clinginess is an Affen trait too.

I might be wrong though. The snout is a little too long for an Affen... but maybe he got more poodle than Affen on him.

Edited by anatess