No Point...

Chrissy3818

Okay so I have been praying and fasting for a testimony/which is the true church (yes, I've been reading my scriptures and also looking at lds videos on youtube).

But I am afraid that if I do get an answer I won't know I am getting it or I won't believe it. So instead (as of yesterday) I have been praying and fasting to know when I get an answer and to be able to except that answer in my heart.

Is praying for an answer (Is the Lds church true) better than praying to know when you get an answer (of the true church) and being able to except that answer in you're heart. (I still pray and hope to know which church is true, but I am more fasting to know and except the answer when I get it).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I can say one way is better than another. My own path toward gaining a testimony was,

1- Is the Book of Mormon true? Once I had an answer that it was scripture my next question was,

2- Is the LDS Church the true church? Again when I felt conformation from the spirit the next step for me

3- Is my joining the church your will for my life.

Now of course it wasn't that systematically cut and dry, but that was the general process I went through. I think you need to establish the path that answers the questions you have. I don't think you're likely to get an answer in one big blast, most people get small assurances as they progress in their testimony.

Is there a rule that you can't pray and fast for both? Why don't you just do that? Maybe you'll get an answer to both. I know I fasted three days straight once for an answer and I was never sure if there was any answer given or what to think. Now hopefully that isn't your case but if it is, then I'm not really sure what to tell you other than what you're already trying. Pray, read scriptures and see if that works. You could also ask other people that you know, trust and feel have a good knowledge and experience with the subject. I'm personally hesitant to do that with most people because I tend not to find other people's answers very satisfactory. That's me though. Anyways, good luck in your search. I hope you find your answers.

... I was never sure if there was any answer given or what to think. Now hopefully that isn't your case but if it is, then I'm not really sure what to tell you other than what you're already trying. ...

You could also ask other people that you know, trust and feel have a good knowledge and experience with the subject. I'm personally hesitant to do that with most people because I tend not to find other people's answers very satisfactory. That's me though. Anyways, good luck in your search. I hope you find your answers.

That actually is my case, I don't know what to think or if any answer was already given. That's why I am doing what I am doing. Searching for answers until I absolutely know.

And I do ask people they just end up baring their testimony (which doesn't help, most of the time). I can't have people tell me it's true, I have to find that out for myself. I don't want to get stuck in the same loop D loop I've been living in for 15 years. These past two years and on are about (well, what I think) destroying what's there and then building it back up correctly, much like this video on Mormon messages The Will of God - YouTube .

(P.S. I am trying to figure out what I believe as in religion and am trying to gain a testimony and figure out what really is true.)

word of advice-

Your testimony should be of the gospel, not the church. There is a difference.

I am not sure what you mean by that, but I think you mean

Church: the people inside it with the gospel

Gospel: Just the gospel and teachings and getting rid of all the people who make it up

Is that correct? because if it is that's what I am doing. Getting rid of all the people and focusing on the teachings.

Chrissy, I hope you're able to hear Elder Bednar's talk from the Sunday afternoon session of conference. If you're not listening now, watch or read it later on the church website. It made me think of you.

I was able to access the morning session.

I just checked. The afternoon session in its entirety is up, but not individual talks.

I watched it again and through watching all the sessions I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to follow this religion and gain a testimony of it. If I am doing wrong I pray that heavenly father will let me know. I feel that this church is true somewhere in me, but I can not fully bring myself to believe it so I will just trust and go on faith and gain a testimony over time.

This church I look at it and don't see how it can't be true we have everything Jesus had with his church (except Jesus). Yes the church may not be perfect, but what church is? No church will be absolutely perfect until Jesus is at the head again. For now I pray to gain a testimony and will wonder the roads on faith.

Thanks everyone!

Are you meeting with missionaries?

Both my sisters were members for a long time before I decided to join and you'd think I would only need to talk to them and get answers but when the missionaries taught me I was able to really get answers that worked for me. They have a special blessing that gives them inspired words when speaking to investigators. I have been a member now going on 8 years and the missionaries that taught me still have a special place in my heart. They truly are called by God to go on these missions.

If our testimonies were never challenged, we wouldn't grow. Enduring to the end means through the tough times, too. . . and you'll get the blessings after this trial of faith. I'm happy for you. ;)

Are you meeting with missionaries?

Both my sisters were members for a long time before I decided to join and you'd think I would only need to talk to them and get answers but when the missionaries taught me I was able to really get answers that worked for me. They have a special blessing that gives them inspired words when speaking to investigators. I have been a member now going on 8 years and the missionaries that taught me still have a special place in my heart. They truly are called by God to go on these missions.

I've been a member for my whole life, so I know everything I should about the Lds church. I do not feel I have to speak to them at this point in my life, just keep studying the scriptures, praying, and attending my last year of seminary as well as church and the every six month general conference and then following in Gods foot steps.

He'll tell me when I do wrong and what I need to do.

I've been a member for my whole life, so I know everything I should about the Lds church. I do not feel I have to speak to them at this point in my life, just keep studying the scriptures, praying, and attending my last year of seminary as well as church and the every six month general conference and then following in Gods foot steps.

He'll tell me when I do wrong and what I need to do.

It's a bit arrogant to say that you know everything you need to know about the LDS church. I've been a member for 55 years and I am still learning things.

Edited by pam

It's a bit arrogant to say that you know everything you need to know about the LDS church. I've been a member for 55 years and I am still learning things.

Sorry, I meant I know the basics of the church like you know everything the missionaries teach new comers or people investigating. I didn't mean I knew everything, because I don't.

(I should really work on rereading what I write before I post it, even my mom says that, but yet I still fail at doing that)

I apologize.

What was suggested regarding the missionaries is not out of line. Elder Russell M. Nelson even mentioned in his talk over the weekend that if you are struggling with your testimony...ask the missionaries. They can help.

What was suggested regarding the missionaries is not out of line. Elder Russell M. Nelson even mentioned in his talk over the weekend that if you are struggling with your testimony...ask the missionaries. They can help.

I know I just can't at this point, but I may in the future (since they are sister missionaries and I feel more comfortable with them)

I know I just can't at this point, but I may in the future (since they are sister missionaries and I feel more comfortable with them)

Well I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to meet with Elders unless there was a parent or another female adult there.

I watched it again and through watching all the sessions I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to follow this religion and gain a testimony of it. If I am doing wrong I pray that heavenly father will let me know. I feel that this church is true somewhere in me, but I can not fully bring myself to believe it so I will just trust and go on faith and gain a testimony over time.

This church I look at it and don't see how it can't be true we have everything Jesus had with his church (except Jesus). Yes the church may not be perfect, but what church is? No church will be absolutely perfect until Jesus is at the head again. For now I pray to gain a testimony and will wonder the roads on faith.

Thanks everyone!

I can testify that God will stop you! Well, at least He stops me. He pulls me away from certain ideas or paths and he course corrects me. And He doesn't just do it once at the beginning of the journey. He stays with me just like the pillars of fire and smoke he gave to the Israelites while they journeyed.

And I love your determination to trust! Yes! This is the heart of faith. The knowing will come. It does come. And the faith really does sustain us until it comes.

No...the church isn't perfect. I don't think it's meant to be. It's "humaness" is the perfect laboratory for tests of faith. How would we learn to forgive, for example, if no one ever transgressed against us? There is opposition in ALL things. Even in and especially in the church. Imperfection is on the one side and the Atonement on the other. Everything is as it should be. Isn't that a great thing?