Temple clothing, rent or buy?

LilyBelle00

I posted about us going to the temple to be sealed this summer. I still have awhile to wait since we haven't even started the temple classes yet. I'm excited though and trying to get all my ducks in a row. :)

Should we rent or buy our temple clothes? Part of me just wants to rent since I'm not sure how often we'll be going since we are a few hours away and this is our first time. Another part of me wants to buy just because I'd like to have my own dress. I'm also worried about what the dresses you rent will look like. Of course, the temple isn't a place to be worried about fashion... but I still don't want to look like I'm wearing a bedsheet or anything.

My husband's clothes don't really matter to me. He can just rent! Lol. The kid's clothes are definitely going to be rented since they won't be used again.

I'm also worried about what the dresses you rent will look like. Of course, the temple isn't a place to be worried about fashion... but I still don't want to look like I'm wearing a bedsheet or anything.

Well, the standard rental dresses do kind-of look like tents (see link). When I first received my endowments, though, they provided a prettier "special" dress for me that day. You might get the same thing (or be able to request it) for your family sealing.

'Sides, you get a 50% discount on your first set.

That's on your first set of temple clothes, not on your first time through. I'd been endowed and regularly attending for four and a half years before I bought my first temple clothes, and I still go the discount.

That's on your first set of temple clothes, not on your first time through. I'd been endowed and regularly attending for four and a half years before I bought my first temple clothes, and I still go the discount.

But if money is an issue now, the knowledge of that discount is reassuring.

'Course, if money is an issue now, it might be best to wait.

You can buy your own white dress and then rent the other stuff.

Yes. Or you can buy any item you can afford, and then rent whatever you don't have. I have done that throughout the years. I used to have everything, and then after my pregnancies I couldn't fit into my white dress or slip anymore. All the other items were fine. So I rented a dress and slip for a number of years until I gave up that I was ever going to fit into my old dress again. <sigh> I finally bought myself a new temple dress and slip.

If you plan to go more than a few times per year, it's more convenient to own your own. And though rental is really dirt cheap, if you're going on a weekly basis you will actually save money owning your own. Plus you get to the session that much faster without having to stop off at the clothing place, and you can go to any temple (even small temples that have limited or no clothing rental) without worry.

On the other hand, if your weight changes a great deal, you will have to modify or replace your temple clothes.

On the balance, I like owning my temple clothes, but it's a matter of individual preference.

I think there's something special for caring for your own temple robes.

And I don't know about everyone else, but it feels out of place to have a cash register in the temple. I know it's a very modest cleaning fee, and registers help keep the books straight. I just find it odd.

I think there's something special for caring for your own temple robes.

And I don't know about everyone else, but it feels out of place to have a cash register in the temple. I know it's a very modest cleaning fee, and registers help keep the books straight. I just find it odd.

Heck, I'm still weirded out about the cafeteria! On Saturday, we had just dressed, walked out of the changing room, and... all we could smell was lasagna.

I posted about us going to the temple to be sealed this summer. I still have awhile to wait since we haven't even started the temple classes yet. I'm excited though and trying to get all my ducks in a row. :)

Should we rent or buy our temple clothes? Part of me just wants to rent since I'm not sure how often we'll be going since we are a few hours away and this is our first time. Another part of me wants to buy just because I'd like to have my own dress. I'm also worried about what the dresses you rent will look like. Of course, the temple isn't a place to be worried about fashion... but I still don't want to look like I'm wearing a bedsheet or anything.

My husband's clothes don't really matter to me. He can just rent! Lol. The kid's clothes are definitely going to be rented since they won't be used again.

Rent the kids clothes but we've been counseled to buy our own temple clothing. The smaller temples don't have a rental desk.

The church distribution center discounts temple clothing when you buy for the first time.

However, to reduce stress you might want to rent and then buy later.

Well, the standard rental dresses do kind-of look like tents (see link). When I first received my endowments, though, they provided a prettier "special" dress for me that day. You might get the same thing (or be able to request it) for your family sealing.

The newer ones don't look like tents.

EDIT: I couldn't find a picture but the new ones we got in before the Ogden Temple closed were pleated and not tent-ish at all.

The newer ones don't look like tents.

EDIT: I couldn't find a picture but the new ones we got in before the Ogden Temple closed were pleated and not tent-ish at all.

Here are the ones sold by LDS Distribution: Dresses - store.lds.org

I assume it would be one of those.

As a side note to the OP...while these are all-white dresses easily available through Distribution, they are not the only white clothing you may wear in the temple. the ceremonial clothing is specific, and may only be purchased through Distribution, but the rest is not. You can buy or make your own dress or blouse/skirt combo, so long as it has a high neck, long sleeves, is ankle length, all-white, and not too form-fitting. You can buy your own shoes, so long as the soles are white, gray, or tan, and the rest is white. Slip and nylons/knee-highs just need to be white.

I don't know who you would ask in person but on the website it gives you a 1-800 number to call if it's your first time.

I do have another question. If I can buy just white clothes, what about the tags and such? They probably wouldn't be white. Is little stuff like that ok? I've been worrying about trying to buy little boy underwear that is completely white because I don't think I can find anything that won't have a tiny bit of color on the waistband or something. The little one will probably be in diapers too. Will I need a diaper cover since it won't be all white?

I don't know who you would ask in person but on the website it gives you a 1-800 number to call if it's your first time.

I do have another question. If I can buy just white clothes, what about the tags and such? They probably wouldn't be white. Is little stuff like that ok? I've been worrying about trying to buy little boy underwear that is completely white because I don't think I can find anything that won't have a tiny bit of color on the waistband or something. The little one will probably be in diapers too. Will I need a diaper cover since it won't be all white?

As far as I can imagine, tags shouldn't be a problem just as the dress is completely white. I was at the temple Saturday and saw some young girls in darling white outfits that I guarantee were not from the distribution center. Still perfectly suited to the occassion: modest, appropriate, etc.

I recall a post one or two years ago that linked to a non-LDS-specific site that sold white dresses for sacred occasions.

The tags and things are fine. There are tags in the garments and in the temple clothing that is not all white. Your boys undies (with the bit of color on the elastic) will be just fine too. Diapers are totally understandable as well (probably wouldn't spend a ton on the denim colored ones or anything lol).

There are exceptions to the all white rule. Tags are one of them.

We had a lady who had to wear special shoes because of surgery and other issues with her feet. The matron didn't insist we put boot covers over the ladies shoes and she didn't have to remove them. Removing them would have been against doctor's orders.

In the 7 years I worked at the clothing desk we had some interesting exceptions. Mostly with braces for knees or wrists. These can be covered, but the black hinges on the knee braces still showed....not a big deal.

Here are the ones sold by LDS Distribution: Dresses - store.lds.org

I assume it would be one of those.

As a side note to the OP...while these are all-white dresses easily available through Distribution, they are not the only white clothing you may wear in the temple. the ceremonial clothing is specific, and may only be purchased through Distribution, but the rest is not. You can buy or make your own dress or blouse/skirt combo, so long as it has a high neck, long sleeves, is ankle length, all-white, and not too form-fitting. You can buy your own shoes, so long as the soles are white, gray, or tan, and the rest is white. Slip and nylons/knee-highs just need to be white.

It was Angelica and the smaller sizes aren't tent-ish. When tied in the back they don't look like a tent even on larger women. :) Thank you for finding the pictures.

It was nice to see a nicer dress available for rent.

LB,

Which temple is nearest you? Many of the newer temples (even in SLC) do not have clothing rental. You will want to make sure they have it first.

You can consider renting the first time or two, to see how you like it, at which time you can always purchase clothing later. I personaly prefer using my own. It makes me feel like I'm part-owner or more engaged in the enterprise of the temple.