Could Joseph Smith

Guest Amitunai

From 'Mainspring' by Weaver

"From far and wide, pilgrims came to Mecca to worship a strange, heavy, black stone which was believed to have descended from the heavens. Lesser gods surrounded it, and the most famous poets of the day displayed their rhymes in the holy KAABA that sheltered the sacred stone. Mecca made its living by serving pilgrims . . . So Mohammed's blasphemy not only shocked the more devout Meccans, but also the merchants and tradesmen had grave misgivings as to its effect on business. But Mohammed went right on saying what he thought, pointing out that Abraham, Moses and Christ had stated these same truths. He was convinced that the priests had corrupted Abraham's teachings when they assumed authority over the Jews. Christ had attacked the priests and reasserted the truth. Now the priests were corrupting the teachings of Christ by assuming a controlling authority over the Christians. Mohammed concluded that formal organization brings the danger of corruption; that each person is responsible directly to himself for his thoughts, speech, and acts, that God will do the judging. The pagan priests pronounced their most blasting curses against Mohammed, but to no avail. The plain people thronged to Mohammed's home in increasing numbers. [Mohammed and followers were harassed.] Many of Mohammed's followers did leave, but this had an effect opposite to what had been hoped. Those who left spread Mohammed's ideas to other places; and many visitors to Mecca spent their time listening to Mohammed instead of worshiping at the shrine of KAABA. In spite of the ban against bloodshed in the holy sanctuary, Mecca's more respectable citizens -- including the tradesmen -- took the law into their own hands. They organized a vigilance committee and stormed Mohammed's home with drawn knives and sabers. But Mohammed ws no longer there. Together with his family and companions, without haste or confusion, he had made tracks for the South [the meccans followed, bu then Mohammed went north without leaving any tracks] He was headed for Medina, a small town in the palm groves, where people lived mostly on the date harvest and flocks of goats and sheep. For some time past, he had had a standing offer to come there and be is emir."

More later, about happenings in Medina.

By the way, the whole book is not about Islam. It is about liberty, and refers to several cultures and movements.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quoting

"Medina was situated on an important road to Mecca. An increasing number of pilgrims stopped off to hear Mohammed, and he converted them to the belief that there is but one God and that the Meccan were idolators. This had serous economic repercussions. Mecca's income was cut at its roots, and the city crashed into its worst depression. Its people concluded that they could not live in the same world Mohammed's ideology . . . With archers, spearmen, and cavalry far outnumbering the total population of Medina, they quietly approached its outskirts before dawn. [then describes a battle, including a miracle of invention that allowed Mohammed and Medina to defend themselves and that, among other things, confused the attackers. The attackers eventually returned to Mecca. Also news of this amazing battle spread throughout the known world.] After six years in Medina, Mohammed traveled back to Mecca as a peaceful pilgrim -- but prudently accompanied by 30,000 good fighting men, amply armed. A deputation met him outside the city to welcome him to the holy sanctuary, in which no blood might be shed. The Meccans accepted his religion, and the pagan idols were removed from the KAABA (630 A.D.). Two years later, Mohammed died. Historians have never seemed able to explain the terrific expansive force of Mohammed's influence. Carlyle marvels: ' . . . as if a spark had fallen, one spark, on a world of what seemed black unnoticeable sand; but lo, the sand proves explosive powder, blazes heaven-high from Delhi to Granada!' Schoolbooks lay great emphasis on European history, ancient and modern; but no point is made of the fact that, when Europe was stagnating in the so-called Dark Ages, the world was actually bright with a civilization more closely akin to what we have in America than anything that had gone before. Thirty generations of human beings who believed in personal freedom created that civilization and kept it going for 800 years. In the deserts and the mountains and the steamy fertile river valleys, from the Ganges to the Atlantic, these people were of all races and colors and classes, all creeds, all former cultures, all former empires. They included Buddhists, Christians, Moslems, Jews, Hindus, Mongolians, Chaldeans, Assyrians, Armenians, Persians, MEdes, Arabs, Greeks, Egyptians, Phoenicians, hittites, African, and hundreds of others whose ancient ancestors had worn the soil to dust before the earliest dawn of history. There is no one name that correctly applies to all of these people. The Europeans, who hated them, called them 'Saracens'."

More later.

The Q'uran was not written by Mohammad but by those in attendance of his teachings. Very similar to some of the sections of D&C. The same test of a mans spiritual authenticity can be compared from Joseph Smith to Mohammad in relation to the BoM and the Q'uran.

I am not stating that I believe the Mohammad was a prophet, then again i'm not saying that he wasn't. "By their fruits ye shall know them". When reading the Q'uran one can not say that the author did not have the spirit of Christ in those teachings. All the teachings, no. But then again is All the teachings in the Bible from God? Songs of Solomon?

Food for thought.

The Quran was NOT WRITTEN by Muhammad. I'll quote Wikipedia: "The Quranic verses were originally memorized by Muhammad's companions as Muhammad recited them, with some being written down by one or more companions on whatever was at hand, from stones to pieces of bark. The collection of the Qur'ān compilation took place under the Caliph Abu Bakr, this task being led by Zayd ibn Thabit Al-Ansari. "The manuscript on which the Quran was collected, remained with Abu Bakr till Allah took him unto Him, and then with 'Umar till Allah took him unto Him, and finally it remained with Hafsa bint Umar (Umar's daughter).""

Muslims are trecherously divided by the succession of power after Muhammad's death in 632. This division between muslims is yet another reason for violence in the arab world. Currently, power over Iraq is sought after by differing groups, the Shia and the Sunni being the two largest. The Sunni Muslims are the largest group of Muslims in the world. They accept the succession of power of Abu Bakr who was, according to the Sunni, chosen by the people's voice. The Shia believe in a succession of power through the lineage of Muhammad and represent the 2nd largest denomination of Islam. (Note a slight similiraty between LDS and RLDS.)

One of the issues in Abu Bakr's favor is that he is credited with collecting the manuscripts of the Quran. The Shia Muslims believe that he fell away and turned against Muhammad and the truth. They do NOT believe he was instrumental in putting the Quran together. They believe that Uthman who was the third successor from Muhammad, ruling from 12 to 24 years after his death, did the work of compilation.

Regardless, the vast majority of Muslims believe that the Quran was assimilated by followers of Muhammad that had memorized his teachings as he taught them orally.

However, let us not use this to discredit his teachings, or to cast doubt on the accuracy of his followers. Remember that the Sermon on the Mount may have indeed been written into the gospels from memory. Indeed, Christians would claim that the Spirit of God would have been upon the Apostles in such work. "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (John 14:26)

-a-train

Is it? Is it debateable? Im not stateing but asking.

Chantee, do you ever get a straight answer from Nate? :D LOL.

IN all serious though, Nate, everything is up for debate if one wants it to be, but I am simply asking... how could Song of Solomon not be of God if it was included in the Bible? Do _you_ think it should not be placed in the Bible? In the Inspired Version of the Bible which Joseph Smith did, he did not include it. It always puzzled me as to why? Now don't go anwering me with another question... or else! :P

Well I believing that Joseph had the authority to recorrect mistranslations in the Bible? If he had that authority and would not of included them then thats significant to me? Do they carry the spirit? I will read them in the Bible and not exclude them but as well I read parts of the Q'uran and the apocropha? Do you feel that the dead sea scrolls are scripture? I do not have the authority to deem scripture for others, only how something inspires me? There are somethings that are of God that I dont feel the spirit cause I just dont get? So here is my answer in one simple phrase "?". Yup, thats it? Hope I anwsered your question? Have a blessed day blessed? :lol:

Like how I didnt even anwser the question? :rolleyes:

excuse me...this is how my mind works....I have to ask this question.....why do we need to know if he did or not............... :dontknow:

Doesn't knowing about another person's beliefs help you in A) befriending them and B) converting them? I never served a mission so I can't say for sure about the converting part, but as a soldier in Baghdad I can tell you that learning about the Muslim faith was one of the best things I could have done for learning how the people here think.

That's interesting L.H. I know the Koran was written in Arabic-I don't know when it was translated into English or any other language. Does anyone know?

The Koran is only officially written in Arabic. Any other translation is frowned upon. But yes, it has been translated, however even if you go into a Muslim Mosque in America, they will read for an Arabic Koran (I guess it's not a requirement, but probably a belief thing). Muslims believe that Mohammad's words can only be truly heard in the language he wrote it in.

i have had a bit of exposure to the Islamic faith and beliefs at work and in the world and, while different in some ways to what i believe, everything i have encountered could be called "virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy".

I live in a town where 30% of the population is Muslim, and let me tell you there is nothing 'lovely' or 'good' about this religion. Can I remind everyone about the attacks on the world trade centre? Or more recently the horrific London bombings? These were done by muslims! They hate us as a western society!I have also looked through the Koran and it actually says 'do not befried the christian or the jew' and then goes on to say something like we will all burn in hell for believeing what we do. I have encountered racism on myself-Ive walked past asians in the street who look at you with such hatred in their eyes because you are a white western woman. This is an evil religion!!!!

Let us not forget, as Shade mentioned briefly, that there are more than one kind of Muslim. As a matter of fact, the insurgents that were responsible for the attacks on 9/11 are not accepted by general Muslims in Iraq as being Muslim at all. They are radical persons who lost their faith and found a new one, or something like that. Can't remember exactly how most people here say it. But as for the people I have met, whether they me Shiite or Sunni, Insurgent or Local National, they are ALL respectable persons. Even the bad guys will invite you into their home, make you Chai Tea, sit down and talk calmly with you, and then try to blow you up later~ The bottom line is, don't generalize all Muslims into one category, especially when the ones you refer to are radicalists that aren't even accepted by the Muslim religion. That's like saying Polygamy and Latter-Day Saints are the same. ~~

Ok,

Since we are getting close to saying that Muhammad could have been a true prophet of our God, even Jehovah. Let's hear the opinion on the subject. Could he have been? Was he a true prophet and were his teachings skewed away from a more Christian teaching by his followers after him? Could he have believed that Jesus was Allah and did his followers later undiefy the Saviour to the status of a mere mortal prophet of Allah? Could he have looked forward to the restoration as did the prophets of old, and could his followers only later proclaim him to be the last of all prophets? Could he have received revelation having lived in a time thought to be a period void of revelation?

-a-train

I personally believe that Muhammad was a prophet of God. He tended and cared for people in the same manner Jesus did. He patterned his life to bring peace and hope to the people. Can you not say that this is most-likely a prophet? He also performed miracles. Muhammad believed strongly in Jesus and God the Father (I don't know about the Holy Ghost....haven't heard anyone over here mention that. You'd be surprised what you can learn from your interpreters =) ). From what I understand, the corruption came after Muhammad died. And there's really not a whole lot of corruption. It's only that the Shiites and Sunnis disagree on certain core values.~

Anyways, back to the original topic. I don't think Joseph Smith read the Koran. Mainly because there really weren't any middle-easterners in the US at that time, so it's unlikely that a Koran drifted over. The English translations weren't in America, they were in Europe. So that really limits Korans in America to possible Museums only. I don't even think you'd find them in Libraries except on very rare occasion. However, the scrolls he got for the Pearl of Great Price he did get from a person with Egyptian mummies and papyri and what-not, so it could very well be possible he was some form of Museum owner or someone that could have owned a Koran and passed it on as well. Who knows for sure, but as for me, I'll believe the he did not read the Koran, but could have still thought well of the Muslim people.

quoting "The Mainspring of Human Progress" by Weaver.

"It is to the Saracens that the world of today owes much of its science -- mathematics, astronomy, navigation, modern medicine and surgery, scientific agriculutre -- and their [these sciences] influence led to the discovery and exploration of America. In the world of the Saracens, no authority suppressed scientists, and no policeman harried them -- nor did any government take care of them. They opened schools; and from Baghdad to Granada, students flocked to them. Some of these schools grew into great universities, and for hundreds of years they continued to grow. The Saracen universities had no formal organization -- Mohammed contended that too much organization leads to corruption. The rules were few. There were no standardized programs, no regular curriculums, no examinations. to guard against the fallacious idea that education ends with graduation, the Saracens' schools granted no diplomas, no degrees. They were institutions, not of teaching, but of learning. Classes were held on an open-house basis. Anyone in quest of knowledge was free to wander about and listen. If he decided to remain, he picked a teacher and privately discussed with him what he wanted to learn and what he should study, and they agreed upon a fee . . . When he had learned what he thought he ought to know, he quit school and put his new knowledge to practical test. For 800 years, the Saracens' schools and universities proceeded on the principle of freedom -- on the basis of voluntary agreement between teacher and student . . . They studied the works of ARistotle, Galen, Euclid . . . past discoveries and techniques of the Greeks, the Chinese, and Romans. . . They deduced the shape of the earth and its movement surrounding its axis and around the sun, and they gave the Europeans the information that the earth is round, along with calculations of its measurements. They invented the sextant and the magnetic compass, which made possible the navigation of their vessels on the opne seas, beyond the sight of land. They provided Christopher Columbus with the instruments and the carts which he took with him . . . the thriving city of Venice was carrying on a prosperous trade with the realistic Saracens [he's jumped to the 13th century here for a moment]. Indeed, it is significant that the whole Renaissance, the so-called 'revival of learning' in Europe, should have arisen so inexplicably in the long, narrow peninsula of Italy, with Saracen civilization brilliant at its tip and with its every port opening into the Saracens' sea. [now back to the earlier chronology] Precisely 100 years after Mohammed died, some of the SAracens moved into central France. A frantically assemble European army attacked and stopped them near Tours; but they remained in southern France and in Spain. The fanatic Europeans looked upon them as followers of the Antichrist -- the mystic body of Satan on the earth -- and the Saracens regarded the Europeans as crude barbarians. In Spain . . the Saracens built great centers of learning and art, science, production and commerce. From India, Africa, Cathay, students came to universities in Spain and people in Spain went to universities in Cairo, Baghdad and Delhi. Farmers in fertile southern Spain poured into the cities and increasing abundance of food and raw materials; and out of the cities poured an increasing wealth of woolens, linens, cottons, silks, mosaics, enamels, porcelains, glass, and gloves. Ships thronged the harbors -- unloading spices and ivory and comphor, tempered steel, wrought silver and brass, horses, saddles of leather softer than velvet."

<div class='quotemain'>

Is it? Is it debateable? Im not stateing but asking.

Chantee, do you ever get a straight answer from Nate? :D LOL.

IN all serious though, Nate, everything is up for debate if one wants it to be, but I am simply asking... how could Song of Solomon not be of God if it was included in the Bible? Do _you_ think it should not be placed in the Bible? In the Inspired Version of the Bible which Joseph Smith did, he did not include it. It always puzzled me as to why? Now don't go answering me with another question... or else! :P

In my experience with all things spiritual and with the ever frustrating Nate, take a deep breath clear your mind. Now I want you to think of a white glorious room think of nothing at first then feel the warmth of that room..... Now ask the question that is most in your mind. DON'T I REPEAT DON'T, criticize the first thoughts that come into your mind cause that is your answer from god not you over analyzing things. i hope that this helps.

Thanks Jonathan Plumb,

That is true about the Arabic language but in a conversation I had with a Muslim, in her attempt to say that the Muslim religion is God's word for all, when I asked her about the peace of information that you just brought up (Only hearing God's word in the language of the Koran), she quickly saw the contradiction in her argument and said, "Um, no you can understand it in English too I guess."

I'd agree you can understand it in English, definitely. You can probably pull a lot out of it in English, even to the fullest it was intended. What I was only referring to is the Muslim belief about the "Holiness" of it being unaltered. I think that would include translations, since there are plenty of things in every language that just don't quite translate to another language.

But who knows, I'm not a professional scholar of any kind, and I've never read the Koran myself. I've only had a conversation with probably around a dozen people or so, which isn't that many.

Another note is that the Muslim religion radically changes from one area to another. Muslims in Baghdad for instance are quite different than Muslims in Mosul. Not on a widescale, but the little things.

quoting

"Progress continued for 500 years, until Saracenic Spain was three times as old as the United States is today. Then from darkest Europe, a half-million fighting men set out to attack the Saracens in faraway Palestine. This unprovoked aggression began a world war which lasted until the United States Marines subdued the Barbary Pirates in the mediterranean harbor of Tripoli in the year 1804. Pirates they were, but they didn't know it. They thought they were still fightin the war which the Europeans had launced against their forefathers. [going back] For more than a century, officials of the Church had been trying their best to make peace in Eruope. first, they decreed the 'Peace of God', but no one paid any attention. Then they declared the 'Truce of God', which called for a long week end lasting from Wednesday night until Monday morning. The idea was to induce the ruling classes -- the barons and the knights -- to take that much time out from their fighting, giving the farmers and traders a chance to work in peace . . . But on Monday, tUesday, and Wednesday, the barons and the knights could get on with the job fighting for their frontiers, killing off useful peasants and serfs in the process. . . . Pope Urban II, perhaps in sheer desperation, summoned all the barons to a great council and made a speech that roused them to frenzy. He called on them to put aside their petty quarrels and to unite in a common cause -- to free the Holy Land. He offered forgiveness of sins to every man who enlisted, and he promised eternal reward to any who died in the effort [lol, sound familiar?] His speech deeply moved his listeners and aroused a natural yearning to get out of Europe and into heaven . ..The Saracens had held the Holy Land for 500 years, and during all that time, Christians had worshiped unmolested at its Christian shrines . . . But these facts were evidently unknown to the Crusaders . . . after killing jews and nonbelievers all through the Germanies, nearly half a million Crusaders crossed the Bosporus into Turkey. They besieges Nicaea, but the Christian Emperor in Constantinople allied himself with the Saracens and sent his troops to defend the city. Then the Crusaders moved on to ancient Antioch. They devastated the country so thoroughly that they themselves almost starved. It is reported that under the eyes of the guards on Antioch's walls, some of them cooked and ate the flesh of the Saracens they had killed. They were unable to take the city by force, but a Christian commander of the Moslem troops let them in secretly by night. They massacred most of the population; and while bodies rotted in the streets and wells, a mysterious sickness came upon them. As they resumed their march toward Jerusalem, they were astonished to find that the homes and villages along the way were deserted. How had the Saracens known they were coming? [they assumed black magic and devilry although they did find out eventually that carrier pigeons were used to send messages, which they also couldn't understand and attributed to magic] . . . an envoy from the Sultan of faraway Egypt met them en route with a conciliatory message which urged that they fulfill their vow to thePope and enter Jerusalem as peaceful and welcome pilgrims. [the Europeans crusaders couldn't read the messages, they had a translator and they did see that the Saracens referred to them as 'a race of dogs, stupid and quarrelsome' and intended, in the name of their Faith [shades of Moroni's title of liberty], to defend themselves and fight viciously.] In two years, the Crusaders had fought only two battles and a few skirmishes. They had unsuccessfully beseiged two cities and had taken Antioch by treachery. Out of almost 500,000 invaders, only 30,00 reached Palestine. There they found palm groves, vineyard, and orchards of figs and sweet pomegranates; but the villages and towns and white-walled Ramleh were deserted. A hundred Crusaders rode into Bethlehem and found it to be a Christian town, built around the Cathedral of the Virgin Mary. Monks and priests entertained them royally. Then they rode back toward Jerusalem and came to the peaceful Church of the Blessed Mother of Christ, in the ancient Garden of Gethsemane on the mount of Olives."

Quoting

"For five weeks, they attacked gray-walled Jerusalem. They hauled timbers from 30 miles away and built moving battle towers. Under a rain of boiling pitch and Greek fire, they advanced their towers and rushed across blazing drawbridges to engage in hand to hand fighting on the walls. They took the city; and for two days and nights, they slaughtered men, women and children in houses and in churches, down alleys, over roofs. On the sunken pavement around the Mosque of Omar, their horses charged fetlock-deep in human blood. Only one little group of citizens survived the massacre . . . of Christian faith . . . The Crusaders found Christians everywhere they went -- for the simple reason that Christians had been there all along. For a thousand years, Christians had been living peacefully among the Moslems, along with Armenians, Albanians, Greeks, Copts, Marenites, Druses, Jews, Parsis, Hindus, to mention a few. 'Let there be no violence in religion,' Mohammed had cautioned. ' . . fight for the religion of God against those who fight against you; but transgress not by attacking them first.' It was Europeans who had the habit of starting wars; it was the Europeans who massacred heretics, down to the last infant. They killed the Albigenses, the Waldenses, the Socinians, the Huguenots, the Covenanters, and many others. Five hundred years after the Crusades, both Protestants and Catholics were alternately seeking refuge in the American wilderness to save their lives from European fanatacism. . . . [The] ranks of Christendom would charge forward [in the battles in the crusades] with the full-throated roar: "God wills it!" . . . the Saracens . . . with a ululating cry that sounded to the Crusaders like the howl of wolves: "La ilaha illa-l Lah" -- There is but one God! When the Crusaders left Jerusalem to attack Ascalon, they were already adopting the Saracens' battle tactics. But they were still unable to guess the uses of their loot. At Antioch, their bewilderment had been pitiable. They sat down on beds and leaped up terrified by the movement beneath them -- they had never seen a mattress before. They were mystified by the draperies, carpets, cushions, leathers, linens . . . the unknown metals and strange utensils were equally puzzling. Gingerly they sniffed at flaming liquied in queer containers - they had never seen an oil lamp before. They tasted and spat out a white powder, delicious but perhaps poisonous -- it was sugar. In small gold boxes, they found tubes with jewelled stoppers, containing other strong tasting substances. How could they understand cosmetics? The cosmetics used by the Saracen women were quite similar to those of today. No other women in history were so well groomed, until the present generation of Americans. In contrast to the European castles, with their rude stone walls and their floors littered with rotting reeds and bones, the Crusaders came into rooms that were like jewels -- with tile floors and mosaic ceilings . . . for the first time they learned about glass. This, indeed, was a country of demons and devils; all Europe heard that it was. The most amazing thing to the Crusaders, however, must have been the cleanliness. It seemed that everyone was always bathing [Europeans did not bathe] . . . . the heathen Moslem bathed five times a day. It was Mohammed's idea; he was almost fanatically clean . . . he insisted that a clean, healthy body is essential to a clear mind and a pure spirit; and as a part of his plan to keep religion on an informal, personalized basis, he tied physical cleanliness to prayer. Let every man repeat five times daily the truth that there is but one God -- no pagan gods -- and before saying this, let him wash in running water [not standing water; or when traveling through the desert, scrub with sand is ok]. So the Crusaders came into a country where everyone was clean. Fountains were everywhere. Moslems sensibly did not interrupt business to recall that there are no pagan gods -- they bathed and repeated that fact in their streets and bazaars. Anyone who wanted a fountain built one. Everything was on the basis of individual initiative and voluntary co-operation."

Another note is that the Muslim religion radically changes from one area to another. Muslims in Baghdad for instance are quite different than Muslims in Mosul. Not on a widescale, but the little things.

This is so very true... Even here in Malaysia (a country run by a Muslim government) you see different levels of devoutness.. Mainly because there are so many people from all over the world.. I find it interesting to see the differences.. Some very big & others not so much.. Many Muslim women who I have spoken to have said that in many cases it is personal choice... Yes I have even seen & met Muslim women who do not wear anything to cover their heads yet still practice..

quoting from the book "The Mainspring of Human Progress"

"Mosques were built in the same spontaneous way [as their universities] . . . Men in the neighborhood kept the mosque in repair if they liked; if they didn't, it fell into ruin. Philosophers, poets, and idlers sat in its quiet courtyeard, by its splashing fountain. At dawn, noon, and sunset, and in the mid-morning and mid-afternoon, someone climbed the minaret and called out that there is no god but God . . . Theirs was a spontaneous religion based on a sense of reality, springing from and depending upon the personal self. And for 800 years, during the period when the greater part of Europe was submerged in the Dark Ages, this religion produced the most brilliant sicentific progress and the greatest material prosperity that had ever been known to man. [the author continues to go through several details of the culture, habits, manufacture and in some instances compares them to the habits of the European; I will only type a couple.] There was a variety of meats, cooked with seasonings and sauces. There were salads and ices. . . such a variety of cereals, vegetables, and fruits -- rice, spinach, asparagus, lemons, melons, peaches-- produced by the world's first scientific farmers . . . Damascene steel was not equalled until very recently in the United States. We Americans owe directly to the Saracens our Californian and southwestern architecture, our cotton industry, our asphalt paving and a long list of such things as beds, tables . . . sofas . . . rugs . . . We speak Arabic when we say 'mattress', 'cotton', 'talcum', 'sugar', 'coffee', 'sherbet', 'naptha', 'gypsum', 'benzine'. Our cars are run, our streets are paved, our houses are furnished, and our bodies are clothed with things that the Saracens began to create a thousand years ago.

Jerusalem was the first of the kingdoms established by the Crusaders, and the Christian kings were able to hold it with fewer than a hundred soldiers. As time went on, the invaders were dressing and living like Moslems. They melted into the civilization of the Saracens, and their sons grew up so tolerant that they raised no objection to Moslems worshipping in Christian churches. But the new kingdoms set up by the Crusaders lasted less than a century; then the Emir of Palestine proposed an alliance with England. He offered his sister in marriage to Richard the Lion-hearted, who was crusading at the time. But Richard was planning to return to England . . . he lacked the courage to face his fanatical subjects with a Moslem queen. Upon his refusal, the Moslems attacked and took Jerusalem, but they did not sack it. As soon as its defenders surrendered, the EMir released his prisoners unharmed and gave them 40 days to dispose of their property and go back home. During these 40 days, the people of Jerusalem bitterly complained that the departing Christians were stealing everything in sight, and they demanded that the robbery be stopped. The Emir replied that if he stopped the robbery, the Christians would say that he had broken his word; but that if he did nothing to stop it, the Christians would have an opportunity to praise the goodness of the Moslem religion. . . Prior to the Crusades, it had never occurred to the invaders that a strong man need not be brutal. The Saracens were fierce in battle, but they were not cruel. They did not kill the wounded; they did not torture their prisoners. When they struck down an opponent, it was not uncommon to help him up. They did not persecute Christians. They were honorable; they told the truth; they kept their word. [the author suggests that the European idea of knightly chivalry was adopted from what they learned from this culture] [ the author then speaks about how ideas from Spain (which was Saracen) began 'leaking' into France and Germany, including the dangerous idea that the earth was round] This was contrary to the accepted teachings of the time, which were based on pagan belief that an authority controls all things, including men. Such heresies had to be suppressed, and in most of Europe they WERE suppressed. But the Italians were prospering from their trade with the Saracens, and they continued to deal with these men of greater knowledge and wider experience. The Saracens had better methods of navigating ships, quicker ways of computing costs and adding up bills [the zero! ha ha]. They transacted their business affairs over great distances and with incredible swiftness. A European who traveled 18 miles in one day had something to write home about -- had he known how to write. But a Saracen thought nothing of sending a parcel 200 miles and getting back a receipt on the following day. A thousand years ago, the Saracens' pony express habitually covered 200 miles a day -- anywhere on land, from the Atlantic to the Indian Ocean. . . The Saracens' postal service was even swifter. Today you can see a remnant of it in Ragusa on the Dalmation coast. Ragusa was one of the 'free cities' which traders had set up in Italy just before the Rennaissance. It is important to note that trade -- the exchange of material goods -- is always an exercise of individual freedom. Production and trade are possible only to the extent that restraints upon personal freedom are absent."