Usage of BoM now and then?

I understand that in the early days of the Church, the Book of Mormon wasnt used as much in studies and church services as it is today, and that members werent encouraged to really read it and know it the way they are today? In the early days they mostly used the Bible? Is this true?

If so – when did the church start to really put more emphasize on the use of BoM more among its members? today it seems extremely important and that they more often quote and use it than the bible?

I do not pretend to know how much or how little the Book of Mormon has been used through-out church history, however I would venture a guess that if it is used more today than in the past it is because the world is drawing nearer to the end and greater strength and diligence is required by the followers of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Ezra Taft Benson (a former prophet seer and revelator of the church) spoke frequently of our need to enrich our lives with the Book of Mormon. He spoke of our need not to take sacred things lightly in a talk that can be read hear The Book of Mormon—Keystone of Our Religion - general-conference

The world has been under condemnation for nearly two centuries for taking the Book of Mormon too lightly. If it is being used more now than ever, it is a sign that righteousness in the world is increasing. That more of us are having its sacred message planted in our hearts that Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world. It is the most powerful tool for building a testimony of the restored gospel of Christ to the earth in modern times. I know by the witness of the holy spirit that the Book of Mormon is a true record of an ancient people and their dealing with God. From this witness of the spirit I have come to know that Joseph Smith must be a true prophet in order to bring forth this sacred record, and that the church and organization set forth by the Lord continues to this day with Thomas S. Monson as the prophet to continue the pattern of prophetic witness to the reality and divinity of Jesus Christ.

So it makes perfect sense to me that a great emphasis is placed on reading the Book of Mormon. Because it clearly connects the dots that lead to the kingdom of God on the earth. I love the bible as well, but as a stand alone record it simply is not as clear what path we are to follow... hence all of the different Christian denominations and doctrinal disputes. While the BOM itself does not neccesarily clear up all disputes, a witness from the spirit that it is true leads one to the Church the Jesus Himself established and guides through revelation. Revelation from God does clear up disputes and His word is final.

Compared to the "curriculum" of the turn-of-the-century... well, I don't find it surprising:

The Priesthood Quorum - general-conference

The Aaronic Priesthood quorums are also blessed with superb class material, although it wasn’t always so. At the beginning of this century, while some stakes prepared printed, systematic lesson outlines for Aaronic Priesthood quorums, others left the young men to find their own way. This resulted “in some unusual priesthood meetings by our standards. One lesser priesthood group, for example, divided its class time between religious lessons and such adventure books as Tom Sawyer, The Jungle Book, The Call of the Wild, Pigs Is Pigs, and Frank Among the Rancheros.13 Today such “cultural enrichment” is for other times and settings; when the quorum meets as a class, the time is reserved for things of a higher order. Today’s Aaronic Priesthood curriculum includes such topics as “covenants guide our actions,” “respect for mothers and their divine role,” “valuing and encouraging people with disabilities,” and “moral courage,” to name just a few. Aaronic Priesthood quorums deserve a real priesthood class as part of a solid quorum experience.

I understand that in the early days of the Church, the Book of Mormon wasnt used as much in studies and church services as it is today, and that members werent encouraged to really read it and know it the way they are today? In the early days they mostly used the Bible? Is this true?

If so – when did the church start to really put more emphasize on the use of BoM more among its members? today it seems extremely important and that they more often quote and use it than the bible?

It's kind of a cyclical thing. The Church was admonished as early as 1832 that they were neglecting the Book of Mormon--its early leadership were often former Christian ministers (e.g. Sidney Rigdon) and/or itinerant sometime-preachers (e.g. Parley Pratt, Brigham Young) who tended to continue to preach from the Bible they had always preached from.

As SpiritDragon says, church President Ezra Taft Benson re-emphasized the Book of Mormon heavily in the mid-1980s and I think we're still seeing some residue from that; though the pendulum is starting to shift in the other direction. I see a lot more references to the Bible these days than I remember seeing in the late 80s/early 90s when I was growing up.

Sorry for asking again, but if anyone else has any more information about this i would be happy to hear it.

Am i correct that the church has really started using and promoting the book of mormon much more the past decades than they used to do before that?

Sorry for asking again, but if anyone else has any more information about this i would be happy to hear it.

Am i correct that the church has really started using and promoting the book of mormon much more the past decades than they used to do before that?

No, this is incorrect.

Here's my personal experience:

2010's: I am encouraged at church to read the Book of Mormon and the scriptures often.

2000's: I was encouraged at church to read the Book of Mormon and the scriptures often.

1990's: I was encouraged at church to read the Book of Mormon and the scriptures often.

1980's: I was encouraged at church to read the Book of Mormon and the scriptures often.

1970's: I was encouraged at church to read the Book of Mormon and the scriptures often.

I was inactive from around 1988-1995, so I can't really speak for those years.

I come from pioneer roots and some of my ancestors were General Authorities. In my family studying the Book of Mormon and discussing the principles taught in it was encouraged, and Expected. Often growing up in the 50s and 60s the dinner discussion was on a gospel topic. My grandfather did this every single time the whole family got together even if it wasn't for dinner. If there was conversation it was about the gospel as found in the Book of Mormon. This was a tradition he grew up with and continued with his children/grandchildren. I do not remember a time hearing anything at church that led me to believe other than I was being taught at home.

Edited by applepansy