Lds President?

Aphrodite

I dont know if I heard correctly, but I'm sure I heard that there is an LDS candidate for the presidential race? I dont know if he's republican or democrat, but my husband thought he heard it too, on the news last night. Im in England, so I just wondered if anyone could enlighten me?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't say this in an anti-mormon way at all, bc as I stated on another thread earlier, I was pulling for him. However, I have to say it's not looking good for him.

http://www.pollingreport.com/wh08rep.htm

It's looking to be between Guiliani and McCain.

<div class='quotemain'>

I don't say this in an anti-mormon way at all, bc as I stated on another thread earlier, I was pulling for him. However, I have to say it's not looking good for him.

Long way to go yet. People have to get to know Romney. he's just started. McCain will flop. It will be between Guiliani and Romney. But Romney's got an uphill battle.

I see a final ticket of McCain and Romney. McCain wins the primary and then names Romney as Vice Presidental candidate. Would be a great setup for 4 or 8 years later. McCain at 70 or 72 yrs old could leave Romney as President any time. If he does then Romney makes Condi Rice VP.

Ben Raines

Actually, look at CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/03/con...s.ap/index.html

"Romney favored among conservatives in straw poll"

Plus, do a search for the 700 Club article on him. They totally pump him! :blink:

I am surprized at how much positive looks he is getting from every direction. Still, a search for Romney on google also brings up a lot of anti-mormonism, but that will only be to his benefit because the mainstream has been tiring of negative campaigning for a long time now and the antis come off like right-wing fanatics which are growing intensely unpopular right now.

Anyone see the article in the Salt Lake Tribune presenting the notion that his candidacy will only be bad press for the Church? I guess I may be old fashioned, but I still think no press is bad press.

-a-train

I don't think McCain has a chance. I know we can break a historical record here, but Americans don't like to put senators who have become corrupted by Washington politics into the White House. Wasn't JFK the last senator to be elected prez? I won't vote for McCain.

It is still so early in this race. Typically you end up with a ticket with different names on it than the early frontrunners. I think Romney has some 'splainin to do, but I think he is by far the best candidate.

Guiliani is way to liberal, even if he has a "R" by his name. The conservative base won't support him. He has a moral strike or two against him as well.

I dont know if I heard correctly, but I'm sure I heard that there is an LDS candidate for the presidential race? I dont know if he's republican or democrat, but my husband thought he heard it too, on the news last night. Im in England, so I just wondered if anyone could enlighten me?

Yes, Mitt Romney is running for President. Right now he is trying to obtain the Republican nomination for President. I encourage all of you to go to http://www.mittromney.com and research where he stands on the issues, watch the videos and see what kind of man Romney is.

I see a final ticket of McCain and Romney. McCain wins the primary and then names Romney as Vice Presidental candidate. Would be a great setup for 4 or 8 years later. McCain at 70 or 72 yrs old could leave Romney as President any time. If he does then Romney makes Condi Rice VP.

Ben Raines

Or Romney could co-opt McCain by signing Condi on now. That would be a gutsy move, that might well silence the liberal claims that he is a flip-flopper. :idea:

It has been said by some that Romney can't win the election, he has too little name recognition, he was governor of a liberal state, he's a Mormon. The list goes on and on with reasons he can't win, but these are the pessimists, the people that don't know Romney. The people who already support McCain or Giulliani, or Brownback, or Clinton and Obama. These are the nay sayers and the anti-mormons who can't stand the thought of a Mormon in the White House.

Yet that is not the majority of America. The majority, I agree, do not know much about him, so the low name recognition aspect is correct. However there is a way to fix that. Talk to everyone you know about Mitt Romney and where he stands.

Here is a place you can go to view where Mitt Romney stands:

http://www.mittromney.com

it is so laughable to listen to the political hacks, a full 2 YEARS away from the election, talk about someone having "little name recognition". There is still ALOT of time for Romney to get his message out there. I know Gingrich hasn't officially announced, it looks like he joined the adultery club with Guliani. Nice. Gotta love the hypocritical republicans.

I like that idea. PC as it stands now, and I know vote is a personal thing, could you vote for a Mormon for President of the US? You can PM me if you prefer.

Ben Raines

I thought I'd said it here before, but as things stand now, not only could I vote for an LDS candidate, I would! Far better a socially conservative person of faith than some secular fundamentalists who has nothing but disdain for sincere religious conviction.

it is so laughable to listen to the political hacks, a full 2 YEARS away from the election, talk about someone having "little name recognition". There is still ALOT of time for Romney to get his message out there. I know Gingrich hasn't officially announced, it looks like he joined the adultery club with Guliani. Nice. Gotta love the hypocritical republicans.

You say two years away, but here we are in 2007 and the Republican Presidential Primaries start in January of 2008. That is less than a year away. With the low name recognition Romney has right now, and being among the top three candidates, it is important that we talk with everyone we know about Romney. It is important to discuss the issues. If we don't do so now, the 2008 primaries will be upon us before we know it and Romney will still be garnering 10-17% in the polls.

Let's work to make sure by that time that everyone in this country has at least recieved some positive information about Governor Mitt Romney.

• 1 month later...

I do not like Mitt. he is just another liberal like Bush and we need a real conservative in the white house who will up hold the laws of the land and help promote and propel forward the best system in the world to free people of oppression and improve the quality of life... and that is capitalism.

I saw Mitts numbers rising and Guili's decreasing. Rudi has some powerful plusses, but also some strong negatives. Mitt's biggest challenge will be if Fred Thompson makes a run.

I do not like Mitt...we need a real conservative...

Um, dude, have you even read Mitt's opinions on political and economic issues?

I'm guessing you haven't, or that you're unacquainted with Mitt's personal life, because based on his business history and successes, I think you'd have a hard time finding a more hard-core capitalist. Are you sure you're talking about the same Mitt Romney we're talking about? :blink:

<div class='quotemain'>

I saw Mitts numbers rising and Guili's decreasing. Rudi has some powerful plusses, but also some strong negatives. Mitt's biggest challenge will be if Fred Thompson makes a run.

Prison Chap...I agree with you.....If Thompson gets into the race he could very well be the Republican candidate......if that happens it makes me wonder what a Thompson and Romney ticket would look like............. :hmmm:

<div class='quotemain'>

I'm guessing you haven't, or that you're unacquainted with Mitt's personal life, because based on his business history and successes, I think you'd have a hard time finding a more hard-core capitalist. Are you sure you're talking about the same Mitt Romney we're talking about? :blink:

Yes I have and he is wishy washy. perhaps it is that he has had to compromise his values being is such a liberal mecca like Mass. However just the other day in an interview we talked about outlawing machine guns which really bothers me as any semi auto loading gun is a "machine gun".

I think Mitt would rather be a deal maker than stand up and fight the good fight. In my eyes I see him a lot like Bush... and Bush is not a real conservative... he is a liberal in sheeps clothing. Amnest, mega spending, weak knees, etc.

Here are some of the things that Mitt seems weak on.

Firearm rights

Abortion

Gay Marriage

Stem Cells

Government spending

etc

I can look at what Mitt is saying vs what he has done. Sure he has done some good like in Salt Lake but is that enough? I do not think so. Bottom line is I do not feel he is conservative enough and I want somebody who will be like Ronald Maximus to get out their to fight for our way of life and convince the world that OUR way is the right way.

Who then? Right now things look rather bleek but I think the best possible man is Newt. He might not be perfect but he has very conservative ideas that he can express well and knows what needs to be done and how to get those things done. He is a great speaker who can motivate and lead. Now he has his downside but he is the best man in the current selection for the job by far.

But lets be honest here. Mitt does not think he has a chance in heck of winning the nod. He is going for vice president and then after 8 years if the administration does well... he will then be in a strong position for the whole shebang.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Yes I have and he is wishy washy. perhaps it is that he has had to compromise his values being is such a liberal mecca like Mass. However just the other day in an interview we talked about outlawing machine guns which really bothers me as any semi auto loading gun is a "machine gun".

I think Mitt would rather be a deal maker than stand up and fight the good fight. In my eyes I see him a lot like Bush... and Bush is not a real conservative... he is a liberal in sheeps clothing. Amnest, mega spending, weak knees, etc.

Here are some of the things that Mitt seems weak on.

Firearm rights

Abortion

Gay Marriage

Stem Cells

Government spending

etc

I can look at what Mitt is saying vs what he has done. Sure he has done some good like in Salt Lake but is that enough? I do not think so. Bottom line is I do not feel he is conservative enough and I want somebody who will be like Ronald Maximus to get out their to fight for our way of life and convince the world that OUR way is the right way.

Who then? Right now things look rather bleek but I think the best possible man is Newt. He might not be perfect but he has very conservative ideas that he can express well and knows what needs to be done and how to get those things done. He is a great speaker who can motivate and lead. Now he has his downside but he is the best man in the current selection for the job by far.

But lets be honest here. Mitt does not think he has a chance in heck of winning the nod. He is going for vice president and then after 8 years if the administration does well... he will then be in a strong position for the whole shebang.

wwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttt................. :hmmm: