abstinence after marriage???

This isn't really a request for advice (so maybe belongs in a different forum), but I came across this article from Lark News. Before the link, I want to point out that this is a Christian parody/satire site, so this couple is fictional. Satire's purpose is often to trigger some discussion/thought/etc., so I wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Christian couple maintains abstinence through first two years of marriage - LarkNews.com - A Good Source for Christian News

The discussion on facebook that I saw about this article was interesting in one particular respect. The person who shared the article did not initially point out that it was satire/parody. It was interesting to me how many commentors assumed that it was true. In other words, the article was not too outlandish as to be totally unbelievable. I have to admit that I initially believed it, too. So, in other words, I found it interesting how readily our opinion of Christian teachings around sex would lead us to believe that a couple could really get married and still believe that “If it was holy before, it must be double-holy afterwards.”

There are Christians who run around boycotting funerals and crying, "God hates Fags!". There is such a wide variety of beliefs that falls under the nominal title of Christian that it isn't surprising that beliefs short of, "Christian Church replaces cross with dollar sign." won't immediately peg the smell-o-meter test. It's basically Poe's Law at work.

This isn't really a request for advice (so maybe belongs in a different forum), but I came across this article from Lark News. Before the link, I want to point out that this is a Christian parody/satire site, so this couple is fictional. Satire's purpose is often to trigger some discussion/thought/etc., so I wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Christian couple maintains abstinence through first two years of marriage - LarkNews.com - A Good Source for Christian News

The discussion on facebook that I saw about this article was interesting in one particular respect. The person who shared the article did not initially point out that it was satire/parody. It was interesting to me how many commentors assumed that it was true. In other words, the article was not too outlandish as to be totally unbelievable. I have to admit that I initially believed it, too. So, in other words, I found it interesting how readily our opinion of Christian teachings around sex would lead us to believe that a couple could really get married and still believe that “If it was holy before, it must be double-holy afterwards.”

IN football you want to get the ball down just past the goal line. you don't need to continue to take it out the doors, down the block, throw it in the car, and drive it out of town. While you might get remembered for doing so, I doubt an individual who did such would stay on the team very long or get sent into play again.

It's believeable because it's easy to see someone doing something like that, altho maybe once every other blue moon. But not only that but within the Christian sects you have all sorts of things that are separate or strange to those who are outside of them. Also events of people overdoing things is not rare.

Edited by Blackmarch

I'm sure LDS couples and conservative non-LDS Christian couples have this one thing in common- they are thrilled to get married because they can finally have sex! I think that is one reason why many couples at our church have such short engagements and the wedding receptions tend to be on the short side, too. I don't think the couples can wait to get through a reception that lasts more than an hour- hour 1/2. :)

I'm sure LDS couples and conservative non-LDS Christian couples have this one thing in common- they are thrilled to get married because they can finally have sex! I think that is one reason why many couples at our church have such short engagements and the wedding receptions tend to be on the short side, too. I don't think the couples can wait to get through a reception that lasts more than an hour- hour 1/2. :)

1-1.5 hours is nothing. We were married, then had a family lunch, then had a 3 hour drive home, then a 3 hour reception. It was a long day. We were almost too tired at the end of the day. Almost!:eek:

I believe the statement and the below scripture are true:

Making love is one of the wonderful things the LORD planned for husbands and wives. It's beautiful gift just for husbands and wives to help bring them happiness all of their lives. It's something He made special for them.

"For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift." -- Doctrine and Covenants 88:33