The Fourth Commandment

Shade

please share idea your thoughts on what we should and what we should not be doing on a Sunday.

from young i was taught such things as (just a quick short list to demonstrate what i'm getting at here):

DO

go to church

visit the sick, infirm and imprisoned

prepare simple meals

read your scriptures

DO NOT

do work

play sports

go to the movies

go shopping or spend money - or participate in anything which causes another person to work

just been wondering about this stuff lately, cos of the last one there in that list of things NOT to do. there are sooooo many things which i take for granted, but which require another person(/s) to be working. i'm not talking about cops, nurses, or others who fulfill an essential position of "service" within our community. i'm thinking of things like TV, internet, telephones (including mobile phones), etc.

i'd appreciate your views on this!

I would argue that we Christians do not observe the Sabbath, as laid out in the fourth command. This was a covenant between God and the Hebrews. Instead, we observe the Lord's Day, by joining with fellow believers for instruction in the Apostle's teaching, the singing of hymns, etc. Additionally, we try to obey the spirit of the fourth commandment by avoiding labor and those secular pursuits that seem counter to spiritual health.

I would argue that we Christians do not observe the Sabbath, as laid out in the fourth command. This was a covenant between God and the Hebrews. Instead, we observe the Lord's Day, by joining with fellow believers for instruction in the Apostle's teaching, the singing of hymns, etc. Additionally, we try to obey the spirit of the fourth commandment by avoiding labor and those secular pursuits that seem counter to spiritual health.

I think thats what I said but not as cool. B)

Some believe it wrong to flip a light switch and thus create a spark of flame on the Sabbath. We can see the accusations made against the Savior in situations like that in Matthew 12 or Mark 2 wherein His disciples plucked corn, or Mark 3 wherein He healed on the Sabbath. All of which considered only the physical actions and their relation to the Law of Moses and the Hedge; these made no account of the spiritual implications or ramifications of such.

The truth is that the Sabbath of the Law of Moses has been fulfilled and the law of carnal commandments is not to be sought after, but the New Sabbath is a spiritual one. It matters not what physical things we do or touch, it only matters that whatever we do is the work of the LORD and of sacrifice, that we do nothing to profit ourselves. The Mosiac Sabbath pointed to ours today and the same blessings apply:

Isaiah 58 13-14: "If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it."

It is by giving our will over to the LORD, by sacrificing our own time and efforts, that we make the day the Sabbath and bring about a change in our heart that will cause us to delight in the LORD.

D&C 59:10-13: "For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High; Nevertheless thy vows shall be offered up in righteousness on all days and at all times; But remember that on this, the Lord ’s day, thou shalt offer thine oblations and thy sacraments unto the Most High, confessing thy sins unto thy brethren, and before the Lord. And on this day thou shalt do none other thing, only let thy food be prepared with singleness of heart that thy fasting may be perfect, or, in other words, that thy joy may be full."

It is therefore difficult to make a list of things to do, and things not to do; but we must do all we do on the Sabbath in the LORD's service and in the LORD's name.

-a-train

Do you believe the same thing about the other commandments?

Aren't Christians adopted into the House of Isreal and as such bound by the same covenants?

Half my family is Evangelical Christian. We respect each other and work around our differences, but none of us are theologians so when we ask questions like this we usually just scratch our heads.

We actually had an interesting (at least to me) string on the 10 commandments several months ago. In it I posted my 'Christian understanding' of them.

http://www.ldstalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=6693&hl=

Aren't Christians adopted into the House of Isreal and as such bound by the same covenants?

We eat shrimp. We do not separate meat from dairy. We do not buy kosher 'religiously.' We still obey the spirit of the law, and their are principles that carry over. However, Jesus himself said that it is not what goes in a person, but what comes out. He also said that if we love God and neighbor (i.e. our enemy) we fulfill the law.

Half my family is Evangelical Christian. We respect each other and work around our differences, but none of us are theologians so when we ask questions like this we usually just scratch our heads.

I'd be curious as to what you and your family make of my lesson on the 10-commands.

<div class='quotemain'>

We actually had an interesting (at least to me) string on the 10 commandments several months ago. In it I posted my 'Christian understanding' of them.

http://www.ldstalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=6693&hl=

We eat shrimp. We do not separate meat from dairy. We do not buy kosher 'religiously.' We still obey the spirit of the law, and their are principles that carry over. However, Jesus himself said that it is not what goes in a person, but what comes out. He also said that if we love God and neighbor (i.e. our enemy) we fulfill the law.

I'd be curious as to what you and your family make of my lesson on the 10-commands.

Thanks, I'll let you know.

My understanding is the reason the sabbath was moved from Friday night to Saturday night was Jesus arose on Sunday morning. Hence we are celebrating a new beginning to the new covenant made with God.

Sharyl

The Sabbath is also seen as Friday evening to Saturnday evening, too. WHo came up with Sunday?

The Sabbath is also seen as Friday evening to Saturnday evening, too. WHo came up with Sunday?

Why do we use a Catholic calendar with pagan names? I don't think it matters when we observe the sabbath (the letter of the law) as long as we do in fact observe it (the spirit of the law).

As PC has already pointed out, Christianity really observes the Lord's Day, not the Sabbath:

The "Lord's Day" is one of the traditional Christian names for Sunday, the first day of the Judaeo-Christian seven-day week, observed by most Christians as the memorial of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, which is said in the four canonical gospels of the New Testament to have taken place early on the first day of the week. Very early in the history of Christianity, the tradition of Christ's Sunday morning resurrection gave rise to the Christian custom, later to become an obligation, of gathering every Sunday morning to worship the Christian Lord, Jesus — hence the name "Lord's Day"…

…Pseudo-Ignatius writes, "Let us therefore no longer keep the Sabbath after the Jewish manner, . . . But let every one of you keep the Sabbath after a spiritual manner, . . . And after the observance of the Sabbath, let every friend of Christ keep the Lord’s Day as a festival, the resurrection-day, the queen and chief of all the days [of the week]."…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Day

M. :)