I may have just opened myself up for flaming on Facebook

MormonMama

I got so tired of seeing so many people I know posting on Facebook about how anyone who opposes gay marriage is full of hate, is judgmental, fearful of what is different, intolerant, etc. that I created a blog post about why I oppose gay marriage and linked it to Facebook. I tried to explain that my position is based on my faith and trust in God, in my belief in eternal blessings and that my position on gay marriage is truly based on love for others, not hate or fear.

I'm sure some of my so-called "friends" will attack me for my view, perhaps even without reading the entire post. Some might even unfriend me, but I know any who do so are not truly my friends. I'll be sad to see them go, but if they're going to react like that then I guess I'm better off without them (though hopefully no one will go to that extreme).

If anyone is curious about what I wrote, you can read it here: Hello! I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon): Why I am opposed to gay marriage and why it's because I LOVE people. Warning: it's pretty long!

And if you're curious about what kind of reactions I get on Facebook, you can find my page here: https://www.facebook.com/mjduley?ref=tn_tnmn.

And if you're curious about what kind of reactions I get on Facebook, you can find my page here: https://www.facebook.com/mjduley?ref=tn_tnmn.

Not sure why you provided your facebook profile when it appears we can't see everything without being your friend on facebook.

I have friends on Facebook who are relatives or friends that I love and respect, who are also on the opposite side of my views on this. I'd feel really sad to lose them as friends either on Facebook or in real life.

But I think it's good to make oneself clear in more than a brief, nuanced phrase on your status update. If people will read a blog entry, hopefully they will understand better why you believe what you do.

This is true but it's a nice page- beautiful daughters!

But it was posted that if we wanted to see the responses to what she wrote to go to her facebook page.

Political & religious (or promoting lack of religious conviction) debates are delicate things. I'd like to think I handle myself well in them, but not always.

The key to remember is that both sides have their 'points'. Give them their points as they express them. Say things like "I can appreciate that point of view."

When you express your own opinion, soften it a bit with phrasing like "I suppose the way I think is based on... but I think..." It doesn't come across as condescending, and you'll probably be better able to get someone to listen by sharing your suggested thoughts and insights... than shoving it down someone's throat.

Hopefully, these kinds of phrases help for more respect in these debates and allow both sides to actually LISTEN to each other.

Well, it seems to work for me.

Unless you're just flat out wrong... then I'll take ya down! :P

But it was posted that if we wanted to see the responses to what she wrote to go to her facebook page.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just pointing out that although we can't see the response to her blog unless we're her friend, we can still see that she has a beautiful family.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I thought it was well written and sincere. I do strongly disagree with your premises, interference, and conclusion; but that's irrelevant for the purpose of this thread. I do not think you will get any strong negative reactions to your post. Some honest public disagrement, perhaps, but nothing so negative that it would result in unfriending, name calling, etc.

We can only see the reactions if we are your friends on Facebook or if you changes the privacy settings for that particular post to "public".

Edited by Swiper

I thought it was well written and sincere. I do strongly disagree with your premises, interference, and conclusion; but that's irrelevant for the purpose of this thread. I do not think you will get any strong negative reactions to your post. Some honest public disagrement, perhaps, but nothing so negative that it would result in unfriending, name calling, etc.

We can only see the reactions if we are your friends on Facebook or if you change the privacy settings for that particular post to "public".

Edited by Swiper

Something about starting facebook posts with "I know a bunch of you are going to be mean and nasty and attack/unfriend me for this, but..." seems odd to me, but it seems to be a common trend. Am I missing something?

A lot of times it lets them play the martyr if such comes to pass. Not that one should never be willing to speak up when one's opinion is unpopular, but a lot of times such disclaimers are a prelude to rhetorical flourishes like, "I knew you'd attack me for speaking my mind!" I'm speaking of the Facebook environs in general and not to any particular instance. In a way such disclaimers make me think of other famous disclaimers such as, "I'm not racist but..." the first thought that pops into my head is generally, "You may want to reconsider what you are going to say or how you are going to say it."

Edited by Dravin

If I cant have a normal conversation with any friend in real life about emotionally charged things without them blowing up... they certainly are not my friend on FB. IMO, when you have so many people you follow on FB but do not know what kind of reaction they will have with something so charged, you are going to get some hate. In reality, I think there should be an "aquantance" button on FB and a "friend". That way, you can decide what kind of message goes out to who.

In reality, I think there should be an "aquantance" button on FB and a "friend". That way, you can decide what kind of message goes out to who.

There is, in a way. You can create lists and customize who your statuses/posts show up for by customizing those.

Some unfriending folks might be your friends, just not want to read to lengthy political posts...

It's not even remotely political to me.

Something about starting facebook posts with "I know a bunch of you are going to be mean and nasty and attack/unfriend me for this, but..." seems odd to me, but it seems to be a common trend. Am I missing something?

I never said that in my blog or Facebook post, so I'm not sure why you would say something like that.

Not sure why you provided your facebook profile when it appears we can't see everything without being your friend on facebook.

Sorry, I totally forgot about that.

This is true but it's a nice page- beautiful daughters!

Thank you! :)

I thought it was well written and sincere. I do strongly disagree with your premises, interference, and conclusion; but that's irrelevant for the purpose of this thread.

Thank you. I appreciate your honest and respectful response, all the more so since you disagree with my position in the first place.

In any case, I haven't had any negative responses at all. I've had a few "likes" and surprisingly my very pro-GLBT rights daughter posted a supportive comment.

I apologize to everyone about completely forgetting that you wouldn't be able to view my Facebook post, but you should be able to view the original blog as it is set to public, as Swiper did.

Edited by MormonMama