Question on WOW

rlfrye

I have been reading the Gospel Doctrine lesson on the Word of Wisdom. My biggest question, which I have not been able to find an answer for is, how did the revelation get changed from hot drinks to dont drink coffe or tea, hot or cold? I dont have any cravings for Starbucks ( a terrible waste of money) or anything, just want to know where the doctrine as given by Joseph Smith got changed.

Thanks for any help, Randy.

From the FAIR wiki.

This reading is perhaps supported by the fact that a Times and Seasons account of a discourse by Hyrum Smith said:

Again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly. There are many who wonder what this can mean, whether it refers to tea or coffee, or not. I say it does refer to tea and coffee.[11]

If there was confusion about the meaning of "hot drinks," it may be that at least some members understood the caution against hot drinks to extend to other beverages prepared hot, such as the infusions or teas of the heroics or Thompsonians.

On the other hand, Thompson himself sometimes referred to tea and coffee as "hot drinks," so the choice of wording may simply reflect common "medical" terminology in Joseph Smith's environment

Word of Wisdom/Hot drinks - FAIRMormon

My personal interpretation are addictive or mood altering substances that are part of daily life. Hot chocolate might fit the bill, except people don't need that cup o' cocoa every morning. Even addictive drugs are not against the WOW if used for their intended use, and not for recreational use, or filling a daily need just to function. (cola may fall into this for some though.)

thanks, I guess that is where my confusion comes from, is the fact that it seems so open to personal interpretation. I guess the simpleton in me wants it to be spelled out. I think it comes back to prayer and following the promptings of the Spirit.

Guest Doctrine

It's good to ask questions on doctrines and teachings of the gospel but when all is said and done it comes down to what we decide to do with that knowledge that shows how we worship god.

Joseph Smith said he teaches correct principles and lets the people govern themselves. The WoW is a correct principle with some specifics. Why the specifics? Because of these scriptures:

Alma 7:15

Yea, I say unto you come and fear not, and lay aside every sin, which easily doth beset you, which doth bind you down to destruction, yea, come and go forth, and show unto your God that ye are willing to repent of your sins and enter into a covenant with him to keep his commandments, and witness it unto him this day by going into the waters of baptism.

D&C 20:37

And again, by way of commandment to the church concerning the manner of baptism—All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church.

So how does the church determine you are prepared to make covenants? By giving you specifics to live by, and to see if you are willing to sacrifice and do those things. It's easy to say you will keep the commandments. It's harder to show that you will. The WoW is one measuring stick to see if you are truly willing to keep the Lord's commandments. This also applies to the temple. Therefore the question, "Are you obeying the Word of Wisdom?" is a standard question to qualify for baptism and temple worship. I believe the question is specifically open ended so you don't end up giving a logistic letter of the law question. It's meant for you to reflect on how you are keeping the Lord's commandments.

I have been reading the Gospel Doctrine lesson on the Word of Wisdom. My biggest question, which I have not been able to find an answer for is, how did the revelation get changed from hot drinks to dont drink coffe or tea, hot or cold? I dont have any cravings for Starbucks ( a terrible waste of money) or anything, just want to know where the doctrine as given by Joseph Smith got changed.

Thanks for any help, Randy.

Truthfully, the interpretation of "hot drinks" as coffee and tea was almost immediate. Joel H. Johnson recorded the Joseph Smith saying in 1833 (the same year the Word of Wisdom was received), "I understand that some of the people are excusing themselves in using tea and coffee, because the Lord only said 'hot drinks' in the revelation of the Word of Wisdom. Tea and coffee are what the Lord meant when he said 'hot drinks.'(Johnson, J. H., A Voice from the Mountains, p. 12)"

And that was the beginning of it.

It became a more strict rule later on.

I have no clue who Joel Johnson is...sorry. But I do know Joseph Smith... :D. Back then I believe hot drinks were coffee, tea, and wine, etc. They didn't know about caffeine or its ill effects. Nor did they know about the harmfulness of liquor. The Lord helped them (us) out by revealing to us they are not good for us. Now we know why. So why is it so hard to obey? Tea is hard for me to stay away from. I LOVE ice cold sweet tea. The real sweet tea, not the "just add more sugar and stir" sweet tea. A struggle, but doing great. It will always be something I have to be watching so I don't drink it. Why? Cuz my Bishop said the Lord doesn't approve of it. All I had to "hear". My best to any and all who struggle with tea or coffee....it's a booger.

This has always been an interesting topic, and it seems to be pretty debated within the Church. I look at "hot drinks" from a historical perspective. By that I mean, which "hot drinks" were common during Joseph's time. That really narrows it down to black tea and coffee, with those two being the primary "hot drinks" of the time. That is just my opinion, I think it's up to each individual to pray about it and apply the revelation to themselves. Great question!

-Josh

I am not certain but I believe hot drinks was NOT wine as mentioned above.

Before Jospeh Smith was killed both him and Hyrum asked for wine to drink. Wine is part of a symbolic ritual.

a) Sacrament

b) An ordinance of some type of comfort before someone goes off to "be killed"... Comforter to the soul? Jesus drank wine before he was esnt to the cross the same reason why Joseph asked for it because he knew he was about to be killed.

Liquor is a strong drink, wine is a mild drink. D&C states they were only supposed to make their OWN wine to not get wine poisoned from the enemy. Else they were allowed to use wine.

Not sure why or when wine or other mild drinks got added? But you look at the world today and its not a surprise why its "adapted to the weakest". Wine may not been a sin in the past but until it comes back with the sacrament we should remain obedient to the laws given.

I agree that following the WoW is a way for us to show our obedience and worthiness. I guess my question was more about why the changes to Joseph Smith revelation are not recorded as prominently as the original revelation.

People around here won't like my answer here. But I will state it anyways. It was made commandment because its something the prophet wanted absent of direct revelation. Read the story of him implementing the law and you learn he just thought it was a "good thing to do". His councilors had a problem with it and struggled with parts of it even after it was made a common law.

I have not read the whole story but from what I have read that is what it seemed. This could explain why its not as prominently as the original revelation. Because its not really a revelation but just a change of policy. But when the common consent, Was there common consent?, says to do so it becomes binding on the people. Therefore we covenant to obey it even if the Lord would be willing to remove parts of it.

Don't quote me on this. I could be entirely wrong.

Edited by ElectofGod

...Nor did they know about the harmfulness of liquor...

I'm going to disagree with you there. The Temperance movement started in the late 18th to early 19th century. Society was well aware that alcohol abuse was unhealthy and a detriment to the family.

M.