Global Warming

think

Just wondering what everyones opinion on this matter may be.

Here's a few questions:

Is it fact or fiction?

Is the human race responsible for it?

What do you think may be causing it?

Does God have any control over it?

Do you think it is a minor or major issue?

Again, just seeing how everyone views this issue.

Hello Think. Great name :)

Here are some headlines from Feburary 2007:

Sweden said Wednesday it would give its reindeer herders millions of euros (dollars) in emergency aid to help them feed their animals, which are starving because of thick ice that is preventing them from reaching the lichen they eat.

Blame Global Warming.

NORTHERN MICHIGAN IS EXPERIENCING AMONG THE TOP 10 COLDEST STARTS TO FEBRUARY IN THE LAST 100 YEARS.

Blame Global Warming.

SAN FRANCISCO: California's citrus industry may have lost $1 billion after freezing weather destroyed still-maturing oranges and lemons, according to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Blame Global Warming.

Cold wave to deliver five sub-0 (degrees) nights here; more than past 10 Februarys - headline, Chicago Tribune

Blame Global Warming.

12 more people died on Friday due to the cold wave in terai region of Nepal, local newspaper The Kathmandu Post reported on Saturday.
The death toll due to various cold-related diseases has been climbing as the cold wave continued to grip the southern belt of Nepal since the onset of this winter. So far, a total of 39 persons have been reported to die due to cold in this winter.

Blame Global Warming.

A bone-chilling cold wave with temperatures as low as 42 below zero shut down schools for thousands of youngsters Monday, sent homeless people into shelters and put car batteries on the disabled list from the northern Plains across the Great Lakes. At least six deaths were linked to the cold weather. - Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Blame Global Warming.

Cold wave in Russia hits supply of gas to European countries

Blame Global Warming.

As cold wave continues to sweep north India, Amritsar recorded its coldest day ever with the mercury plummeting to minus 3.3 degrees Celsius.

Blame Global Warming.

South Asia: Cold Wave Killing People

Blame Global Warming.

15 die in cold wave in northern Bangladesh

Blame Global Warming.

A bone-chilling arctic cold wave with temperatures as low as 42 below zero blasted from the northern Plains across the Great Lakes.

Blame Global Warming.

Death toll from U.S. cold wave climbing

Blame Global Warming.

Cold Wave Linked to 4 Deaths

Blame Global Warming.

Death Toll in Cold Wave Reaches over 500 in India

Blame Global Warming.

Record cold wave ices California citrus

Blame Global Warming.

:blink: :)

Read Michael Crighton's (sp?) book on global warming State of Fear. I was a skeptic before: now I am a confirmed "global warming atheist". It is a bunch of hooey dreamed up by people that truly want to rule our lives and destroy this country. That is what it really gets down to. Does anyone remember the argument about Eugenics? The one the Germans perfected so well during the reign of the Nazis? There were plenty of "AlGores" arguing in favor of it as well. But it was debunked as a load of manure. 50 years from now the same will be said of GW.

Also read the website "JunkScience.com". Another eye opener. Do you know that they were growing vegetables in Greenland in the 1200s-1300s? It was hotter then than it is now. And that fact has been taken out of the latest UN "finding" because it doesn't jive with the PC crowd.

And now the Supreme Court has given carte blanche authority to the EPA to ruin the auto industry in this country (as if they weren't doing enough stupid things already!) with their finding that CO2 is a pollutant!

Okay everyone, STOP BREATHING! You are polluting the air!

Here's my two cents:

Al Gore says (in his movie and else where) that all these events are occurring at an "accelerated rate" I would take that to mean they were going to happen any way.

I also would have to agree with Bill O'Riley when he said that we would be stupid to think that the human race hasn't had an impact with all the things we have done over the past two hundred years.

I suppose that left you all confessed taking both sides. I just think that both the left and the right have pieces of the truth but nether side has all of the truth. Does that make sense to any one???

-LT04

Read Michael Crighton's (sp?) book on global warming State of Fear. I was a skeptic before: now I am a confirmed "global warming atheist". It is a bunch of hooey dreamed up by people that truly want to rule our lives and destroy this country. That is what it really gets down to. Does anyone remember the argument about Eugenics? The one the Germans perfected so well during the reign of the Nazis? There were plenty of "AlGores" arguing in favor of it as well. But it was debunked as a load of manure. 50 years from now the same will be said of GW.

Not exactly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eugenics if practiced with morality and God in mind. Hitler was an agnostic or at best new ager who also embraced negative eugenics. Teddy Roosevelt was a Christian and advocated the concept of positive eugenics which promotes people with good health and good character to have big families. Sounds familiar.

Al Gore says (in his movie and else where) that all these events are occurring at an "accelerated rate" I would take that to mean they were going to happen any way.

I prefer to look at what Al Gore does, not what he says. If he believes his own material, why does his home consume 20 times more power than the national average? Why does he still drive SUVs and fly in private planes? If he believed it, he'd live it... :rolleyes:

"Do as I say, not as I do."

Global Warming is a fact not fantasy. The problem is that the earth has gone through many cycles of global warming and Ice ages. I believe that fantasy is what is being dreamt up as the cause of global warming and what we can do to prevent it.

Some facts about green house gases:

One: H2O is a greenhouse gas and it is more abundant in the atmosphere than is CO2.

Two: The warmer the atmosphere the more H2O will be held by the atmosphere.

Three: Burning fossil fuels creates CO that is not a greenhouse gas and it must be converted (by natural means) to CO2 before it can become a greenhouse gas. The amount of CO converted to CO2 is not dependent on how much CO there is in the atmosphere. It is dependent on photosynthesis that generates O2. If there is not enough carbon in the atmosphere in the form of CO2 plants will die and that would be worse than global warming.

Four: There is more CO2 in the atmosphere that comes from animals that are raised and used for food than there is CO2 that comes from human energy sources. If global warming is a problem caused from CO2 then we would solve the problem quicker and better by converting all humans to become strict vegetarians.

Global warming as currently being talked is a political issue - not a scientific problem.

The Traveler

It drives me crazy when people like Ted Danson back in the 80's says.....we only have 10yrs to live because of Global warming.....needless to say that came and went....now along comes Al Gore...about 2 yrs ago says we have like 10 yrs to live...now we only have 8 cause 2 yrs have gone by.....and George Clooney ran his mouth about we are going to die because of Global Warming. Last year the experts were telling us it was going to the worst Hurricane season we have ever seen....we all know that last years hurricane season came and went and was some what quiet. Now the experts again are predicting because of Global warming we are going to have around 20 hurricanes this year......whew.....I am tired just trying to keep up.....must be the global warming causing me to be tired....... :deadhorse: .............. :combust:

theres a vocano in ice land i believe that releases more co,co2 and lot more worst things then that in 1 day, then ever car does in teh united state in 1 year global warming as they define it is a shame. some determined that it would take something like 3% co2 in teh atmosphere just to start the green house gas effect, as of 4 year ago there was less then 1/10 of 1% of co2 in teh atmosphere, whats realy happened is the air is cleaner then its ever been so more heat adn radiation makes it through, just cause the big cities have smog problems doesnt mean that the air isnt overall cleaner, and jsut as a side note cars now days clean teh air we breath of most the nasty stuff, catalatic converters turn smog and co into water and co2 and nitrogen. we had big discussion back in auto tech school about this issue.......

Just a note - GLOBAL WARMING IS A FACT. GLOBAL WARMING IS OCCURRING AND THE EFFECT WILL CHANGE OUR CLIMATES AND THE CHANGES WILL HAVE AN EFFECT ON LIFE AS WE KNOW IT. This part is not made up friends - it is real.

It is not a question of if there is global warming. But how far reaching the effect will be is debatable - how much do we want to bet our life on?

Back in the 70's I was involved with government research into magnetic variations (deviations from measurement of magnetic north) taking place on various regions of earth. These magnetic variations are caused by changes in the energy and radiation coming from the sun and hitting the earth. We knew then that changes in the sun that we were measuring would cause a warming effect on earth. What amazes me is that I have not seen a single article or scientific study in the last 20 years that considers the sun as even a possible source of global warming. I think the reasons are political but I am open to suggestions.

theres a vocano in ice land i believe that releases more co,co2

Speaking of volcanos - the 2nd largest volcano on earth was discovered not too long ago near the south poll. It is an active volcano and when the next major eruption takes place (somewhere in the next 500 years - that is not long in geological terms) the resulting melting of polar ice will raise the oceans from 12 to 20 feet. This will cause 80% of the world population to find a new place to live. Does any politician care about this???

The Traveler

Traveler,

So you are telling me, "Start buying property in higher elevations." Thank you for that.

I think now is a good time to sell beach front property - despite the volcano or what ever the reason for global warming.

The Traveler

Just a note - GLOBAL WARMING IS A FACT. GLOBAL WARMING IS OCCURRING AND THE EFFECT WILL CHANGE OUR CLIMATES AND THE CHANGES WILL HAVE AN EFFECT ON LIFE AS WE KNOW IT. This part is not made up friends - it is real.

You call a .7 degrees tempature rise ----------global warming. and its having an effect----------how?

The polar ice caps are getting thicker------------well I could go on, but it doesn't takemuch real measurable facts to show that there is absolutly no such thing as man made global warming

It is not a question of if there is global warming. But how far reaching the effect will be is debatable - how much do we want to bet our life on?

I agree with you that there is global warming... slight warming... that is a fact. However, I believe the question is, Are the actions of humans responsible for it? I think the answer is no. I believe it is a cyclical warming that takes place every 18,000 years. Our earth is not static. It's constantly changing.

However I say I think the answer is no. In case I'm wrong, as I've known to be, I'm doing all I can to make a difference anyway. Things like:

recycling probably 50% of our trash

using more efficient bulbs

turning things off when I'm not using them

composting what I can

carpooling when possible

keep thermostat higher in the summer and lower in the winter

teaching my child the importance of the earth and the reasons for doing the above things

there is no real proof that global warming exists only theorys, the earths goes through hot and cold cycles, they said last summer was the hottest ever but thats not true, 1928 i believe was the hottest year on record. im more concerned with makin sure we have clean water to drink and that we take care of smog then worrying about teh earth warming up, its been doin its thing along time before we got here the earth will adapt and take care of itself

and quite frankly there are to many factors to ever figure out whats realy goin on and to many things we have no control over

One small suggetion that can help in our world is to bring your own bags to therocery store. We have 6 durable grocery bags and I figured up once that on average I will get from the store 6-8 plastic bags every time I go. But since I use our home bags I don't get those plastic bags and if you think on average of going to the store once a week or every other week and how many weeks there are in a year... you will be saving over 600 plastic bags a year!!! That is a lot of unnecessary trash that one can avoid.

ALthough I do get some plastic bags to line our trash cans...

Anyway, one small thing we can do for a cleaner, better world.

I think that pollution is a bad thing regardless of global warming. I am in favor of regulations that will allow us to breathe clean air and keep the rivers, lakes, oceans, etc. clean and habitable for the creatures that live in them. If taking steps like that helps to combat global warming as well, all the better.

Dror

I think that pollution is a bad thing regardless of global warming. I am in favor of regulations that will allow us to breathe clean air and keep the rivers, lakes, oceans, etc. clean and habitable for the creatures that live in them. If taking steps like that helps to combat global warming as well, all the better.

Dror

Can't argue with that... ;)

You know, electricity has been overlooked too long in my opinion. There are many many ways to produce it without a chemical reaction and we just aren't utilizing this old technology enough. We also have new technology that will allow us to produce vehicles and other electric machines that will replace combustion engines entirely.

Photovoltaic and power storage technology is moving fast, but what is currently available is already viable. The largest solar panel in the world is under construction in the south of Portugal. The proposed 116-megawatt facility covering a 250-hectare south-facing hillside in the southern Alentejo region is boasting a 130,000 household power capability.

Although it is cost prohibitive now, I think photovoltaics still present one of the most promising energy possibilities long term. Governement moves to accelerate us toward a more solar powered society would be favorable in my opinion.

I want one of these Electric GPR bikes for about $6,000 - $8,000. I live only 3 miles from work and according to their site, I could ride to work every day for almost two years without replacing the battery which is still less than $150 and not many gasoline motorcycles have an MSRP that low.

of a very similar bike.

Quiet, quick, TOTALLY EMISSIONLESS!

Still, if you just want the easiest way to get to 70 miles per gallon Get a Kawasaki Ninja 250 with an MSRP of only $2999. Oh yeah, did I mention my full-coverage motorcycle insurance is $24 a month?

RECYCLE TOO!

-a-train

the new automotive technology that would replace teh internal combustion engine is no where near ready, im assuming you are refering to hydrogen cells. there 2 main problems with it is 1. hydrogen is extreamly explosive, and the first block to get blown up by a car wreck will end hydrogen cell cars.

2. the only way they have to mass produce hydrogen gas actually polutes more and creates worse waste then any internal combustion engine does.

In reading some of the responses we need to realize that the government is NOT where we should place our trust. GW has taken on an aura of a religion (worship of Mother Earth) and we need to realize that not one of these "environmentalists" have the good of the earth, or more particularly, the US, in mind. It is about control of our lives, and we need to be very careful of how things are worded so as to determine the true motives behind the actions.

They are so subtle, much as Zeezrom was, being very learned in how to talk and influence the masses that don't want to think. I mean, who can be against clean air or water? I certainly am not. But I don't believe that gov't should be the one that determines what is and isn't clean. Cars are so much cleaner than before, so what does the EPA do? They decide that CO2 is a pollutant, so that you will feel guilty for driving your car around. What most don't realize is that roughly 1 out of every 6 jobs in the country rely upon the auto industry in some way. Why do you think that gov't wants to control them so badly? If they can, then they can control the jobs/wages/lifestyles of 15-17% of the population. They also don't tell you that the gas from all the cattle and other animals far far outweigh the CO2 emissions of every car there is.

I am a conservationist. I am pro-hunting, pro-fishing, etc. To me, it is stupid to pollute because it destroys the beauty of nature. I love being outdoors. But I believe in moderation in all things, and the earth is ours to subdue. Period. So I get very leery about those that think they know me and that I need controlling. We are losing our freedoms in this country, and they are eroding at a faster and faster clip because we don't wake up and smell the postum! ;)

Six,

I read your post and part of it I agreed with and apart of it that I did not. I agree with you that suddenly Bush has jumped on a green wagon and it makes me sick because I think he is backpeddling as fast as he can. Apart of me agrees with you that the govt should not be involved. However, we do need laws to protect that which is need of protecting and that is our resources.

I live in Alaska. And here in Alaska, pretty much 20 minutes outside of Anchorage you can find yourself in pristine wilderness. Some places you can walk and no that no one else has walked there before. This landscape is fastly disappearing because of "tourism" and where there are people... there is pollution. We have to pass strict laws in Alaska in order to keep our state pristine. We have to enforce it when we would rather not have to, but people are careless.

I agreed Big Brother can be too big, but he is nice to have around at times to ensure that someone doesn't make something ugly out of something beautiful.

I noticed you said we are here to subdue the earth... I think another translation says to be stewards over the earth. There is a big difference in that. I will have to see the Inspired Version (by Joseph Smith) and see how it is worded in there.

Signed,

An LDSTALK.com "treehugger"

:D