What Is With All Of The Hate Towards Latter-day Saints?

jimradictis

What is with all of the hate towards Latter-day Saints?

Before I converted to LDS I never experienced a tenth of the misconceptions and hateful remarks I do from a few Christians on Yahoo Answers. All of the other religions and atheists seem to leave us alone though. I try my best to try to set some people in the right direction as to where to learn about our Church and dispel a few misconceptions. Does anyone here experience this kind of treatment in real life? It seems like the same worn out arguments over and over. There are a lot of caring Christians out there, such as the ones that post on this board, but man the ones I run into online seem as though they enjoy putting Mormons down.

I don't experiene it but then again I don't go to Yahoo forums where LDS are bashed. I don't hang out with people who bash my religion and I do the best I can to set a good example of what an LDS member should be in their life.

Where I work I am respected for my beliefs.

Ben Raines

I think Ben pointed out something good. Don't go places you know where the LDS are bashed. Don't seek out such situations.

Its inevitable you will come across people who dislike LDS anywhere you go. But its probably best to avoid situations where you know you will come in contact with such people and limit contact. It will just drag you down and promote no good. No one needs to hear over and over again that their beliefs are false, that they're being foolish or misled. It doesn't sound like an environment where you can do good. So do as Christ told his disciples shake the dust off your feet and leave.

LDS aren't the only lucky souls who get picked on... RLDS also get harrassed as well. I had a "friend" tell me she could no longer come over as she was visiting Lucifer's dwelling and that my husband was a member of "satan's priesthood." Needless to say we aren't friends any more.

It at times seems as though I can't help it. It seems as though I need to try to atleast correct the misconceptions. At the same time I completely agree that I should just avoid such people.. These people are one of the reasons I lost faith in God shortly after gaining it. I just could not get past the fact that they are supposed to be representing Jesus and God and they were hateful, and I took my anger and resentment out on God.. It is the reason why I lost faith as a Christian when I was much younger.. It is sad because as a child I had a very strong testimony towards God and lost it, and being that I have gone so long without faith it is hard to build it back up. Now I have this constant tendancy to try to justify everything around me.

I see it all the time. Mitt really got them in gear to attack us since he is running for President. I read Townhall.com a lot and there are a lot of conservative "Christians" over there who bash us and make up outright lies. Its a shame since most of us share the same values and goals.

I just do not see the hate going away. I think this is a burden and challenge that we must continue to endure.

It at times seems as though I can't help it. It seems as though I need to try to atleast correct the misconceptions. At the same time I completely agree that I should just avoid such people.. These people are one of the reasons I lost faith in God shortly after gaining it. I just could not get past the fact that they are supposed to be representing Jesus and God and they were hateful, and I took my anger and resentment out on God.. It is the reason why I lost faith as a Christian when I was much younger.. It is sad because as a child I had a very strong testimony towards God and lost it, and being that I have gone so long without faith it is hard to build it back up. Now I have this constant tendancy to try to justify everything around me.

Its good that you want to stand up for truth. But it looks like its taking you down in the process. How can that be good?

"Seek first to obtain..." Obtain a strong testimony yourself.

Don't go out seeking battles. Let the spirit show you where you need to go and do.

There are many people that don't care to have the misconceptions cleared up. They thrive on it and profit off of it.

I really think thats why God told his disciples to share the message and if they weren't recieved to leave. To protect yourself.

What good is it if you go on there and allow yourself to be knocked down and your testimony shattered?

LDS aren't the only lucky souls who get picked on... RLDS also get harrassed as well. I had a "friend" tell me she could no longer come over as she was visiting Lucifer's dwelling and that my husband was a member of "satan's priesthood." Needless to say we aren't friends any more.

That is true Blessed, I am sorry that that you had received such treatment. As you and Dr.T have pointed it out I think we all receive it. I know that on the same boards I frequent that several Christian Denominations receive constant assaults. The poor Catholics seem to get it nearly as badly as we do.

Online attacks can be more aggressive in a way than personal interactions.

People can say or do whatever and are not tempered by anything. They never see the person they are going up against. Never really have to have a back and forth conversation. Never see the pain they create. They can throw out all their animosity at a screen and drop their garbage and run. With no care at all as to the aftermath.

Its easier to walk away from a screen then another person though.

The LDS theology and implicit claim is pretty intimidating: If you're not LDS, your church is incomplete even though it be a good organization and believe many truths.

No one likes to be told they are wrong, or that something they respect is incomplete.

I don't blame anyone for feeling that way.

I DO blame people for lying about our beliefs and ordinances. God will put some interesting questions to such people someday about whether their conduct was Christ-like. :hmmm:

Where I work I am respected for my beliefs.

Ben Raines

Where I work I was ridiculed because of my faith...I have this supervisor who is a non-member who grew up in Salt Lake...well, you can imagine....he's a bonehead....before Christmas he asked me during lunch break with the rest of the guys what I was going to do for Christmas...I started to say "visit family" but he butted in "I bet you're gonna go and try on some new Jesus Jammies huh? HarHarHar"! I just laughed it off but then he asked if I had any of that magic oil that "you Mormons carry around with you" I said yes I have some consecrated oil....then he realizes I am serious and he says "you guys use that for healing people right?" I told him no, we rub it on our temples right before 8pm....it keeps the horns from coming out before midnight! :satanflame: Needless to say he hasn't messed with me since.....

I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. The opposition we endure as LDS is our reminder to REPENT!

What happened when the house of Israel got prideful and lazy? WATCH OUT, HERE COME THE [insert gentile invaders here]!!!!!

When the Nephites lost sight of the LORD what happened? WATCH OUT, HERE COME THE LAMANITES!!!!

Now is this because God's love is conditional and He quits looking out for us when we forget Him?

NO!!!!

'For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?' (Heb 12:6-9)

I get burned in the heart on the last line every time.

I also like dropping that verse in Sunday School to watch the jaws drop on the B word in there.

God Bless

-a-train

A-train I have to disagree with you here. Yes many times our opposition is of our own making and does serve as a reminder to repent or to better remove ourselves from harmful situations.

But I don't think this is always the case we will always face opposition. Prime example-christ. What did he need to repent of? Yet look at what he endured. Then there is Christs words of saying that we will be hated for His name sake. Blessed are ye that are persecuted.... etc.

While you make some valid observations. I don't think the only reason people face opposition is because they've done something wrong.

I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. The opposition we endure as LDS is our reminder to REPENT!

What happened when the house of Israel got prideful and lazy? WATCH OUT, HERE COME THE [insert gentile invaders here]!!!!!

When the Nephites lost sight of the LORD what happened? WATCH OUT, HERE COME THE LAMANITES!!!!

Now is this because God's love is conditional and He quits looking out for us when we forget Him?

NO!!!!

'For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?' (Heb 12:6-9)

I get burned in the heart on the last line every time.

I also like dropping that verse in Sunday School to watch the jaws drop on the B word in there.

God Bless

-a-train