It's a Boy!

Maureen

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hidden
I'm really happy for them. :) I was hoping it would be a girl, with the rule change and all...QUOTE]
I was also hoping for a girl, mainly because of this succession reform; but I am very happy that they have a baby boy.

I don't think the succession reform is set in stone yet is it? (Though if it had been a girl, it certainly would have been changed by the time William died.)

I do hope they stay traditional and don't do some weirdly modern name.

I'm betting on "His Royal Niceness Marvin Eddbeard Pajamadance Birdwhistle Gormangeek Bob-a-job Kneepickle Burp Glub-glub Globba Blobin Eeeeee Womph Paint-Your-Mother-Green-Junior III"

Has a nice ring to it don't you think?

Edited by Jamie123

I'm kinda a nerd, I pay more attention to the science-y news for the most part.

It's not just the royalty thing I am confused about, it's all the hype about famous people in general. We all know Justen Beiber's an idiot, do we REALLY need to hear the latest stupid (often illegal) thing he and other celebrity's are doing?

Did you just compare Justin Beiber to the Royal Family?????

Would you then be a fan of Neil Degrasse Tyson? He's a type of celebrity.

Who?

The only celebrity I really pay much attention to is Patrick Stewart, and that's because he is doing his best to make a difference in the world.

Oh my! So then the science-y news you're interested in has an entertainment element to it?

Neil deGrasse Tyson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M.

I haven't been excited over the news like most of the world but certainly this is a moment in history, as this little boy is the future heir to the throne. I think that William and Kate are fine people and will be fine parents.

I second the name thing. Traditional is best. And since they're royalty, being limited to certain things because of 'appearances', is just part of the package. We all have our crosses to bear.

Oh my! So then the science-y news you're interested in has an entertainment element to it?

M.

Patrick Stewart sponsers a battered women's shelter. Most (if not all) of those women and their children likely have PTSD, which is not a laughing matter, and the fact that a well known guy is trying to help them get back on their feet is inspiring. That is why I follow him.

I should duck out of this conversation.

Patrick Stewart sponsers a battered women's shelter. Most (if not all) of those women and their children likely have PTSD, which is not a laughing matter, and the fact that a well known guy is trying to help them get back on their feet is inspiring. That is why I follow him.

I should duck out of this conversation.

Kudos to Patrick Stewart. I'm still surprised you didn't know who Neil Degrasse Tyson was, since you like to follow science-y news.

M.

Kate is glowing! I love how natural she looks coming out of hospital. No fancy wardrobe or posh hats. William is clearly a proud father too.

I wasn't able to read the captions or article well on my phone but I'm assuming Kate had no complications and had a vaginal delivery. I remember one of the bets going around was: Kate Too Posh To Push. Implying that she may opt for cesarean.

Kate is glowing! I love how natural she looks coming out of hospital. No fancy wardrobe or posh hats. William is clearly a proud father too.

I wasn't able to read the captions or article well on my phone but I'm assuming Kate had no complications and had a vaginal delivery. I remember one of the bets going around was: Kate Too Posh To Push. Implying that she may opt for cesarean.

sometimes people should keep their mouths closed!!!!!!:too posh to push how mean, hurtful and judgemental!!

I love this -- thanks so much for sharing! I had to laugh at this: "William aces his first test of fatherhood as he gets the car seat right first time." And the accompanying photo:

Posted Image

I also noticed, and I don't know if it's just coincidence or not, that in the photo of Diana carrying William out of the hospital, she's wearing a polka-dot dress as well.

M.

Perhaps getting the facts rather than leaping to a judgment would be more helpful.

Patrick Stewart is involved in amazing things to battle domestic violence. But perhaps you consider that "entertainment"?

I agree with the other poster - it is doing something to better the world. Which is more than a lot of people can claim - celebrities or not.

I have a question about royalty and titleage (is that a word?). Maybe Mahone or Jamie or someone else across the pond can answer it for me.

Okay, so Charles's title is prince, right?

And according to the link that Pam posted on the previous page, the baby has already been given the title of Prince (name) of Cambridge.

Harry's title is also prince, though with this week's birth, he's been demoted in the succession.

So why is William the Duke of Cambridge?

Edited by Wingnut

I have a question about royalty and titleage (is that a word?). Maybe Mahone or Jamie or someone else across the pond can answer it for me.

And according to the link that Pam posted on the previous page, the baby has already been given the title of Prince (name) of Cambridge.

Harry's title is also prince, though with this week's birth, he's been demoted in the succession.

My understanding is he is Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. He's also known as Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus.

Edited by pam

Titles of nobility (Duke, Earl, etc.) usually take precidence over titles of royalty. Thus Prince Phillip and Prince Andrew are more often called the "Duke of Edinburgh" and the "Duke of York" - though it is certainly not incorrect to call them princes. Prince Charles is an excepton because he is prince of an actual princedom (Wales), which is more prestigious than his noble title "The Duke of Cornwall" (which is what he was known as before his investiture in 1958 - though even then he was still a "prince" in the ordinary sense).

He's also known as Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus.

Yeah - these are what are called "subsidiary titles". Nearly all high-level peers have them. Their purpose is not to heap extra honour onto the main title-holder, but to provide courtesy titles for his (or her) heirs. The new baby will be entitled to use "Earl of Strathearn" as a courtesy title (though it's more common for the eldest son of a Duke to be styled "Marquis"). However I suspect that in his case (being 3rd in line to the throne) any mere courtesy title will be eclipsed by his princely status.

Another example is Prince Edward (the Queen's youngest son) who is "The Earl of Wessex" and has the subsidiary title "The Viscount Severn". This is used by his son James who is styled, by courtesy, "Viscount Severn". (Not The Viscount Severn - the definite article should only be used with "substantive" titles.) James - though he is technically a prince - doesn't use that title because of a decision by the Queen that Edward's children should be styled as the children of an Earl.

On a side note, I wish they'd get on and name the baby. I get fed up with all this "Prince NN" and "The As Yet Unnamed Prince" nonsense. It's not like they haven't had nine months to think of a name! When my daughter was born, my wife and I had a boy's name and a girl's name ready, so the moment she arrived and the midwife told us she was a girl we instantly knew what her name was.

Edited by Jamie123

And just because I learned this from Barbara Cartland, I'm going to add that the peerage titles have ranking hierarchy. In descending order of rank - Duke, Marquess, Earl, Visount, Baron. All of which are subject to royalty (king/queen, prince/princess). Okay, I don't really know too much about peerage, nobility, royalty beyond historical novels.

I once dreamed of marrying Prince Andrew (after Charles married Diana)... then I saw what he looked like. LOL! Anyway, there's some magical element to royalty that catches a young child's fancy. Or maybe it's just because we grew up watching Disney...

Edited by anatess

Thanks for the history lesson. :) I'm still not sure I understand it, because it seems that royal titles should eclipse in both importance and grandeur any titles of nobility, but whatever. :)

On a side note, I wish they'd get on and name the baby. I get fed up with all this "Prince NN" and "The As Yet Unnamed Prince" nonsense. It's not like they haven't had nine months to think of a name! When my daughter was born, my wife and I had a boy's name and a girl's name ready, so the moment she arrived and the midwife told us she was a girl we instantly knew what her name was.

I suspect they have a name, but they're probably retaining a few precious days of privacy while they can. I looked William up on Wikipedia yesterday -- he wasn't named (or at least, it wasn't announced) until a week after he was born.