Taxes 2006

We are so screwed! We have to pay $5000. Of course part of it is a huge mistake on our part for getting them to take our less than they should have been. We tried to balance it out bc we had been getting a lot back and wanted to break even. For a couple of years it worked and was right on the money. After mine and DH's raises and his consulting work on the side though, didn't work out to such a great balance.

It doesn't help that DH does taxes at the very last minute so we have no time to plan for this HUGE check to be written.

We have GOT to get some more deductions this year. Try to do the right thing by living below our means and you get punished with no deductions.

OK, sorry for the bellyaching... it's just painful.

Everyone,

Do away with the pain! Go to FairTax.org and look into this. Neal Boortz and John Linder out of Georgia put together a book regarding this tax and it is the best solution out there, bar none. I was skeptical until I read the book, and listened to Neal talk about it on his radio program. It would do away with the IRS in one fell swoop (which is why the gov't will fight this tooth and nail!).

Go to the website, write your congressmen and senators (I now get to live in the land of the Hildabeast and Little Chuckie Schumer! AAAUUGGGHHH!) saying you want them to pass this. It will do away with this pain once and for all.

Really, this is a great plan.

Read the book, or go to the website. It doesn't call for no more taxes, but rather a national sales tax that takes out all embedded and other hidden taxes.

It makes perfect sense, and would actually reduce our tax burden (including SS and Medicare/Medicaid).

However, I agree with Shanstress. It makes too much sense, and our politicians don't have any of that! Neither do they have a backbone when the libs start braying that it hurts the poor (which is a crock of .... because the poor actually get money back from the gov't that they never paid in!)...

Wait, what is it? Obviously, I haven't looked at it. Is it calling for "no more taxes"? That can't be useful for multiple reasons.

No, that's not it at all. Really, you should read about it. It's tax based on goods and services that we choose to spend our money on. No income is taxed. To me, it seems like a no-brainer.

<div class='quotemain'>

Wait, what is it? Obviously, I haven't looked at it. Is it calling for "no more taxes"? That can't be useful for multiple reasons.

No, that's not it at all. Really, you should read about it. It's tax based on goods and services that we choose to spend our money on. No income is taxed. To me, it seems like a no-brainer.

Read the book, or go to the website. It doesn't call for no more taxes, but rather a national sales tax that takes out all embedded and other hidden taxes.

It makes perfect sense, and would actually reduce our tax burden (including SS and Medicare/Medicaid).

However, I agree with Shanstress. It makes too much sense, and our politicians don't have any of that! Neither do they have a backbone when the libs start braying that it hurts the poor (which is a crock of .... because the poor actually get money back from the gov't that they never paid in!)...

Flat sales tax would be good so everyone pays and is aware what they are paying. Right now the average person pays so many different taxes, liscences and fees on everything. People would be shocked if they knew how much they were paying!

The downfall would be all the accountants out of business, the government not being able to keep tabs as easily on what you're earning and doing or being able to sell your information. If its a federal sales tax how do you think your state taxes would be handled? Would the states have a hard time getting money from the federal government? Will the government be content having a flat sales tax, being the only income they recieve, and not coming up with other sneaky ways of getting their money? The flat sales tax will probably only be on top of many others.

Poor Sixpactr living in one of the countries tax capitals!

The downfall would be all the accountants out of business, the government not being able to keep tabs as easily on what you're earning and doing or being able to sell your information.

Rosie,

Exactly...The gov't wouldn't have a clue what I made, and that is why we have to fight hard for it, but will probably not win. The gov't itself (the libs in particular, although our "heroes" the republicans did such an outstanding job of standing up for our rights that they got booted out) will not stand for not knowing every little thing about me. Because knowledge is power.

The only thing that keeps them from breaking down my door, and the door's of most people in this country is the fear that perhaps I have weapons and am not afraid to use them. Once they no longer fear us, then we are doomed to live as the Soviets did for many years, and the Chinese do now.

Got off topic on taxes, but to me it is one and the same. We need to wake up and realize that we have lost and are continuing to lose at a rapid rate our freedoms.

Approximately 53% of my income over the last two years has gone to taxes. Didn't we fight a war over less taxes?

It is staggering to think that after tithing I actually take home around 37% of my income. It is a testament to the LORD's bounty that when we render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's and unto God that which is God's he still makes possible that we have sufficient for our needs.

I think that reducing the tax structure to business entities alone would make the taxation process exponentially more effecient. It bares no reason that we spend so much time, effort, and resource to see to it that an annual return is filed for every last person in the country making minmum wage or higher.

Our current arrangement also creates a more frequent tendency on the part of the average citizen to become involved in evasion in one form or another which is currently commonplace throughout every bracket.

I would definitely approve a move toward a consolidation of excise taxes or others associated with business entities in order to extricate the people from the current burden of personal income tax.

-a-train

Try living up here in the tax happy country of Canada. We work until the middle of July to pay for our income tax alone. Then there's the sales taxes, fuel taxes, property taxes, etc.... But we have "Free Healthcare". :rolleyes: I tried to get an appointment for my annual physical. I was told it would be September or October before I could get one. :o

Just my 2 cents worth. :twocents:

Approximately 53% of my income over the last two years has gone to taxes. Didn't we fight a war over less taxes?

Yes, how quickly we forget

It is staggering to think that after tithing I actually take home around 37% of my income. It is a testament to the LORD's bounty that when we render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's and unto God that which is God's he still makes possible that we have sufficient for our needs.

Amen and a testament to why we didn't choose the other side in the preexistance ;) To greed and the mismanagement of funds.

I think that reducing the tax structure to business entities alone would make the taxation process exponentially more effecient. It bares no reason that we spend so much time, effort, and resource to see to it that an annual return is filed for every last person in the country making minmum wage or higher.

Thats probably why it won't happen. Since when does government try and cut out the beurocracy?

Our current arrangement also creates a more frequent tendency on the part of the average citizen to become involved in evasion in one form or another which is currently commonplace throughout every bracket.

The tax codes are so complicated especially if you have your own business or file all your deductions. Even the lawmakers who come up with the laws don't know all the ins and outs.

I would definitely approve a move toward a consolidation of excise taxes or others associated with business entities in order to extricate the people from the current burden of personal income tax.

Ahhh would be nice. The Lord was wise 10%. Nice, sweet and to the point :)

-a-train

I learned more about Federal tax brackets today.

Federal Tax Brackets

Your tax bracket is the rate you pay on the "last dollar" you earn; but as a percentage of your income, your tax rate is generally less than that...

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm